follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #141
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Update: dealership gave me 4 options. All are to purchase various levels of service as you'd receive from any shop, all over $5000. I called Toyota customer service again, was put on hold for 18 minutes, then told my call could not be transferred right because they're all busy, and that he promised me a 1 business day call back. How convenient on a Friday
Hopefully, when and if they call back, the person won't have a heavy Indo-Aryan accent -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #142
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (03-08-2019), humfrz (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #143
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hopefully, when and if they call back, the person won't have a heavy Indo-Aryan accent -

humfrz

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-aMZmDCvA[/ame]
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-08-2019), srt4evah (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #144
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
THAT was funny - NOT - but, yes, funny!

humfrz
Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #145
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
One thing I'm curious about - are they priming the oil pumps on our cars before starting them? I'm on the phone with customer care right now, they know who I am before I give them the case number. Apparently the customer care department had never been contacted at the dealership. The woman on the phone noted that most of my concerns had been left out from my tickets as well. I had her be sure to note the following-
In my meeting today, while we were speculating causation, the tech responded that it's because the engines are "junk"
When the dealership let corporate know that my engine failed, corporate told them not to touch it. Turns out, the dealership did, and the corporate tech wasn't who took it apart.
I also had her add that I have several photos showing excessive rtv on several areas, and that today I was able to see the oil pickup - with small rtv bits on it.
Here are my photos, a couple I had shared previously.

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 03-08-2019 at 05:18 PM.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-08-2019), MuseChaser (03-08-2019), NoHaveMSG (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #146
ermax

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about - are they priming the oil pumps on our cars before starting them? I'm on the phone with customer care right now, they know who I am before I give them the case number.
The instructions don't talk about priming and neither does the service manual so who knows. It's not uncommon for techs to just do that one their own though. It's fairly easy to prime this car. You can pour oil through the hole where the filter goes and then fill the filter while upside down, install the filter, crank for 10 secs or so with the throttle to the floor (the ECU puts it in flood mode when the pedal is pressed past 80%) then release the throttle and do a normal crank and it fires right up and will be super smooth. If you start a car dry without any sort of priming it will sound awful for the first few seconds. Even with the use of bearing lube.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #147
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Here is my experience with the J02 recall thus far.

I had mine done at Toyota of Mckinney. I called up the dealer to have them order the parts for the recall so they didn't have to hold the car as long. I was told by the lady on the phone that I had to bring the car in for an "inspection" before they could order the parts as they had to verify the VIN, which I had given her maybe 5 minutes before. I arrived when scheduled for my "inspection" and the advisor said now that the car was there they could order parts and it should only be about a week. No "inspection" was required and they took the car at that time, even though they had not ordered the parts yet. Later that week at lunch I got a call mentioning that they were going to charge me an hour of labor due to the modifications they had to put back on. Only mods that changed anything for them was a catch can, forester oil cooler and header. This resulted in a full 4 extra hose connections extra. I argued on the one hour of labor and they mentioned they would take care of it due to how long it was taking to complete the recall.

I get a call a week after I dropped it off saying it was ready to pick up. I received the car without it being washed and with some added oil residue from when they removed the motor from the car. Drive home with no issues that night. Next morning the car starts to act strangely. Loss of power, odd misfire now and again. Took it to a buddy of mine's shop and we went over the car. We found that a few hose clamps were not reinstalled, the bolts for the header were not tight, main engine harness wasn't fully connected and the ECU bolts were loose. After we fixed all the issues I re-flashed my NA tune and the vehicle has been working much better. Car has done an autocross event with no issues. I'm crossing my fingers that we found all the issues and that Toyota didn't use to much RTV for the timing cover.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #148
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
Here is my experience with the J02 recall thus far.

I had mine done at Toyota of Mckinney. I called up the dealer to have them order the parts for the recall so they didn't have to hold the car as long. I was told by the lady on the phone that I had to bring the car in for an "inspection" before they could order the parts as they had to verify the VIN, which I had given her maybe 5 minutes before. I arrived when scheduled for my "inspection" and the advisor said now that the car was there they could order parts and it should only be about a week. No "inspection" was required and they took the car at that time, even though they had not ordered the parts yet. Later that week at lunch I got a call mentioning that they were going to charge me an hour of labor due to the modifications they had to put back on. Only mods that changed anything for them was a catch can, forester oil cooler and header. This resulted in a full 4 extra hose connections extra. I argued on the one hour of labor and they mentioned they would take care of it due to how long it was taking to complete the recall.

I get a call a week after I dropped it off saying it was ready to pick up. I received the car without it being washed and with some added oil residue from when they removed the motor from the car. Drive home with no issues that night. Next morning the car starts to act strangely. Loss of power, odd misfire now and again. Took it to a buddy of mine's shop and we went over the car. We found that a few hose clamps were not reinstalled, the bolts for the header were not tight, main engine harness wasn't fully connected and the ECU bolts were loose. After we fixed all the issues I re-flashed my NA tune and the vehicle has been working much better. Car has done an autocross event with no issues. I'm crossing my fingers that we found all the issues and that Toyota didn't use to much RTV for the timing cover.
Wow a success story! Seems like an autox would be a good shake down. I hope you're in the clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #149
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
One thing I'm curious about - are they priming the oil pumps on our cars before starting them? I'm on the phone with customer care right now, they know who I am before I give them the case number. Apparently the customer care department had never been contacted at the dealership. The woman on the phone noted that most of my concerns had been left out from my tickets as well. I had her be sure to note the following-
In my meeting today, while we were speculating causation, the tech responded that it's because the engines are "junk"
When the dealership let corporate know that my engine failed, corporate told them not to touch it. Turns out, the dealership did, and the corporate tech wasn't who took it apart.
I also had her add that I have several photos showing excessive rtv on several areas, and that today I was able to see the oil pickup - with small rtv bits on it.

Doesn't look like sealent is applied properly on your timing cover.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #150
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
shouldn't it be applied on the outer edge of the cover? Looks like it was applied on the inner side. You can see it oozing into the engine!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #151
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
shouldn't it be applied on the outer edge of the cover? Looks like it was applied on the inner side. You can see it oozing into the engine!
No the bead has to run inside the bolts or oil will leak through the threads. The bead shouldn't be more than 1-2mm before putting the part on the engine. That seems like way too much FIPG.

As far as the post about priming the oil pump...I don't know of any engine accept dry sumps that require the oil pump to be primed.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #152
humfrz

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about - are they priming the oil pumps on our cars before starting them?
Good pictures, thanks for posting!

humfrz
Old 03-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #153
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Main bearings look fine to me.... was there problem?

Betting mine look pretty similar...
Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #154
ermax

Failure After J02 Recall - Discussion Threads

Quote:

I missed these pictures earlier. They completely failed on that timing cover. They didn’t even come close to doing it correctly. You have a very good case against them on this one. They applied the packing inside the inner grove. It’s supposed to be on the top of that L grove not down inside the L grove. The service manual explains this but the diagrams take a little studying before it makes since. The recall instructions have improved diagrams that even a toddler can understand. They also didn’t use TB1217H.

I’d fight them hard on this one.

This PDF explains how the packing on the timing cover belongs on top of the L grove not inside the grove as they did on yours:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-5835.pdf

Last edited by ermax; 03-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-08-2019), Teseo (03-08-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue