follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #49281
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are approximately as many TOB threads as there are stars in the galaxy. Spike is a favourite of mine and all but...
OK, @spike021 , pick a star.

OR

You might consider taking your car into the dealer under warranty for a tech to take a listen -

OR

Just let it be, in hopes it's not a bad TOB - which may freeze up, blowing up the clutch disk, pressure plate, clutch fork, flywheel and spew pieces of hot metal throughout the cabin hitting you in the crotch while you are driving on route 17, at night, in the dark and rain -

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
spike021 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #49282
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
OK, @spike021 , pick a star.

OR

You might consider taking your car into the dealer under warranty for a tech to take a listen -

OR

Just let it be, in hopes it's not a bad TOB - which may freeze up, blowing up the clutch disk, pressure plate, clutch fork, flywheel and spew pieces of hot metal throughout the cabin hitting you in the crotch while you are driving on route 17, at night, in the dark and rain -

humfrz
So when I was going into the dealer the last few times last month for other fixes I mentioned the noise and they listened for it but didn't hear it... which makes sense because it doesn't happen all the time, but it's in their record.

The problem is isn't it not covered under warranty since it's a wear item?
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #49283
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
So when I was going into the dealer the last few times last month for other fixes I mentioned the noise and they listened for it but didn't hear it... which makes sense because it doesn't happen all the time, but it's in their record.

Yes, I understand that it usually isn't covered under warranty, but at least you had a chance to have another set of ears listen to it.

The only way to tell for sure, is to replace the TOB. But that is an expensive operation.

I reckon if it were my car, I would just let it go, unless it got worse.

humfrz
Old 10-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #49284
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
Sums up living with the car for 3 years quite perfectly. Nothing major ever broke, and the car is a blast to drive, but it constantly had little annoying things falling off or breaking. Almost all of it I could fix myself without much effort.

Pretty much the same story for my Focus RS. Many little things that are annoying and more trouble to take to the dealer than dealing with it/fixing it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSlowAE86 View Post
I used to drive a Fiesta ST. Loved that car, but the small interior space wasn't cutting it.

I considered grabbing a Fiesta ST as a "family car" to pair with the BRZ, but alas, it failed the child seat test miserably, so I ended up selling the BRZ and getting the RS instead.

Is it just me or are other ST/RS owners just insufferable? The forums aren't that bad, but I instantly regretted joining my local & US-wide FB groups. I do get along with the track-centric crowd, but boy, I could not stand all the other "regular" owners lol

There's a reason I'm still hanging around these parts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (10-10-2018), ScoobsMcGee (10-10-2018), spike021 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #49285
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post

There is a second TSB out for some of the early 17s that still had the original bearings. It would be covered under warranty.
spike021 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #49286
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Pretty much the same story for my Focus RS. Many little things that are annoying and more trouble to take to the dealer than dealing with it/fixing it myself.
Kind of glad to hear that, actually. The only Ford dealer within a reasonable distance that would let me test drive an RS also still had a $3000 markup on it. Two other dealers I spoke with wanted to run a hard credit check prior to letting me get behind the wheel, and were obnoxious enough in general that it wasn't worth it. The Alfa I drove was about $15,000 more than the RS, and there they just photocopied my license, tossed me the keys, and asked me to come back in an hour.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #49287
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Kind of glad to hear that, actually. The only Ford dealer within a reasonable distance that would let me test drive an RS also still had a $3000 markup on it. Two other dealers I spoke with wanted to run a hard credit check prior to letting me get behind the wheel, and were obnoxious enough in general that it wasn't worth it. The Alfa I drove was about $15,000 more than the RS, and there they just photocopied my license, tossed me the keys, and asked me to come back in an hour.
There were two RSs sitting on dealer lots in small towns near where I work for about a year and a half. They were both deeply discounted and they still could not move them. I stopped at one of them (when the car had sat in the same place on the grass for a year) and they would not even start it for me much less let me drive it. I was not surprised they hadn't been able to sell it.
They both disappeared about the same time so I presume they maxed out their time on those lots and were sent to other dealers.
ScoobsMcGee (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #49288
ScoobsMcGee

Quote:
There were two RSs sitting on dealer lots in small towns near where I work for about a year and a half. They were both deeply discounted and they still could not move them. I stopped at one of them (when the car had sat in the same place on the grass for a year) and they would not even start it for me much less let me drive it. I was not surprised they hadn't been able to sell it.
They both disappeared about the same time so I presume they maxed out their time on those lots and were sent to other dealers.
Interesting that the treatment of the car isn't just regional. I get that it is a special model Focus, but it's still a $40,000 car. Same as the WRX STIs I test drove, but pretty sure the sales rep would have let me take every single one on the lot for a spin if I had asked.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #49289
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
There is a second TSB out for some of the early 17s that still had the original bearings. It would be covered under warranty.
OK forgive me for a stupid question that I'm sure you've answered for a plethora of others around here (oops ), but assuming I bring it in to the dealer again and can't reproduce the sound right there and then for them, are they still obligated to check the TSB and see if my car is included?
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 10-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #49290
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-10-2018), spike021 (10-10-2018), Spuds (10-10-2018), Tcoat (10-10-2018), Ultramaroon (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #49291
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Quote:

Same here.
I had a lot of trouble test driving one since every single dealer I've talked to did not allow it (and yet I was able to walk into a Volvo dealer and test drive the V60 Polestar that they had in the lot, which was easily $15k-$20k more). Every single dealer within 100mi from me had at least a $3k-$5k mark-up and treated it like a GT350R. I was very close to purchasing a Golf R, which was a great car, but felt a little too grown up and made me still want an 86 even though the plan was now to have only 1 car. The only reason I ended up with an RS was because I found a dealer 400mi away who offered below MSRP, a whole day of test driving and to drive me from and back to the airport regardless of if I bought the car or not. I was won over after a couple hours (you have to understand, getting a taste of 350 lb-ft of torque coming from an 86 is like having icecream for the very first time).

Side note: driving an RS on PSSs 400mi and through the Sierras in Jan is fun but not recommended lol

I laugh at the dealers with all the RSs, GT350s and Raptors sitting on their lots every time I go in for parts. Serves em right for being so greedy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (10-10-2018), Tcoat (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #49292
AnotherSlowAE86

Drives: Subaru BRZ and AE86 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it just me or are other ST/RS owners just insufferable? The forums aren't that bad, but I instantly regretted joining my local & US-wide FB groups. I do get along with the track-centric crowd, but boy, I could not stand all the other "regular" owners lol
I completely agree. I found the Fiesta ST owners to be pretty modest and cool guys, but the Focus ST owners were pretty rough. That was a big part of why letting go of the Fiesta was so easy when I traded it.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherSlowAE86 For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #49293
BigFatFlip

That's it, all new ND Miatas should look like mini C2 Corvettes from now on!

https://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/rock_star/
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #49294
ScoobsMcGee

Quote:
I was very close to purchasing a Golf R, which was a great car, but felt a little too grown up and made me
That was great dealership you found. If it weren't for the announcement of Ford giving up on all cars in the US I may have put a bit more effort into an RS, but it is good to know that at least some of their dealers want to move product.

Felt very similarly about the Golf R. That and some difference in driving dynamics that I already rambled about. That and piano black everywhere. There's a bit in the WRX, but I'm amazed the seats aren't piano black in the Golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSlowAE86 View Post
I completely agree. I found the Fiesta ST owners to be pretty modest and cool guys, but the Focus ST owners were pretty rough. That was a big part of why letting go of the Fiesta was so easy when I traded it.
Thinking back, I can't recall ever seeing another Fiesta ST in the 3 years I had the thing. Plenty of Focus STs and 2 RSes around here that I frequently see, but no FiST that stood out.

Just handed in the car. Dealership wasn't exaggerating. In the time it took me to walk back out to the car because I forgot to check the odometer, they already had the paperwork brought up. Two signatures and a form saying that I owe Ford $0, and I was on my way.

Now to make a Fiesta ST forum account to give away my winter wheels/tires. This shouldn't make anyone suspicious.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-10-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis