follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #169
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie L View Post
For a truly quiet Cosworth SC setup..Cat back only ..stock header...
Having said that I'm not giving up my header.
I am currently running my Cosworth Header , 2.5 " nameless exhaust with the (gag) stock muffler..sounds like ass.............................
I am trying to buy a Q300 muffler to see if that is any better than the nameless ( overly loud) or stock muffler(ruptured fart can) as a daily driver set up. .................................................. ................................................
Bottom line ..SC with a cosworth/nameless cat back is glorious...add the header...or to put it a different way...delete the front cat and you have (IMHO) a track car exhaust system.
I installed the Q300 cat back. The sound levels are much more livable now. I can for the first time actually hear the super charger whistle/whir as it spools up. Sounds great..

The Q300 growls a little on full throttle take off..other than that there is a little rumble at idle and on throttle lift . Pretty much the only other thing I hear at cruse RPM/throttle is a low boxer burble coming from the cosworth headers,and a slight whirring sound from the SC....wonderful just wonderful.

I will try to get the installation "lessons learned" posted up tomorrow. It's taking longer than I thought. Screen capture ,editing ,resizing and what not.
Insurme1 (04-03-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 PM   #170
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
For a truly quiet Cosworth SC setup..Cat back only ..stock header...
Having said that I'm not giving up my header.
I am currently running my Cosworth Header , 2.5 " nameless exhaust with the (gag) stock muffler..sounds like ass..and I know its costing me power..I think this is what you are asking...You might like the sound though ..who knows?

I am trying to buy a Q300 muffler to see if that is any better than the nameless ( overly loud) or stock muffler(ruptured fart can) as a daily driver set up.

I tried the full 2.5 inch nameless exhaust ,with Cosworth header and SC....absolutely wonderful race car sound...but overly loud for a daily driver..unless of course you are a complete attention whore ,(and there is nothing wrong with that) ,then go for it.

JerryIII has the complete cosworth /by nameless 3 inch exhaust and header...he mentioned he had a little trouble making the noise requirement for the type of racing he does...but was able to on his second try...I think he coasted by the officials ha ha ha

Bottom line ..SC with a cosworth/nameless cat back is glorious...add the header...or to put it a different way...delete the front cat and you have (IMHO) a track car exhaust system.
Hey Ernie, how's the long term testing of the kit going? Everything still solid, still have that ear to ear grin?

The header seems to be the tipping point in all the exhaust systems for the twins. Even with a good catted header they all seem to go up in pitch/rasp but I guess that's the trade-off for the performance.

For the people running at tracks with db limits, it tends to be the higher pitched cars that trip instead of ones with loud but deep bassy rumbles. Selecting a deeper toned cat-back could definitely help if that's a concern. (Or you could get turn-downs and face them away from the track marshals. )

On another noise question, does Cosworth's tune turn off the startup high idle or will they do that for you? That could definitely be an issue for people that have to warm up in a quiet neighborhood early in the morning or late at night.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 PM   #171
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Email sent with instructions..I have other thoughts ,hints ,advise ,cautions, lessons learned etc that I can share with you ..I'll get back to ya tomorrow once I have collected my thoughts.
Ernie
Hey, share those here!

Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (04-03-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 PM   #172
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Could you possibly post a video with how the car sounds with the Q300? I'd love to know how it sounds
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #173
Ernie L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Hey Ernie, how's the long term testing of the kit going? Everything still solid, still have that ear to ear grin?

The header seems to be the tipping point in all the exhaust systems for the twins. Even with a good catted header they all seem to go up in pitch/rasp but I guess that's the trade-off for the performance.

For the people running at tracks with db limits, it tends to be the higher pitched cars that trip instead of ones with loud but deep bassy rumbles. Selecting a deeper toned cat-back could definitely help if that's a concern. (Or you could get turn-downs and face them away from the track marshals. )

On another noise question, does Cosworth's tune turn off the startup high idle or will they do that for you? That could definitely be an issue for people that have to warm up in a quiet neighborhood early in the morning or late at night.
So far so good.. Mostly just just checking hose connections and keeping an eye on coolant and oil levels. No problems there.
I intend to log some oil and air inlet temps once we get to some warmer day time temps. I figure once Easter has come and gone it should be up to at least 50 degree daytime temps.

I changed over to summer tires so I am not breaking traction as much..it's either that or I have adjusted my throttle inputs to the new power level.
Yes it is still producing grins...I really enjoyed the car before ..now with the SC...well the SC is icing on the cake for sure...

The high idle at start up is still there.

And yes I intend to post "lessons learned" here.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #174
Ernie L

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Could you possibly post a video with how the car sounds with the Q300? I'd love to know how it sounds
You with the videos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!...jeezez christopher....ha ha ha..I'll dig the go pro out later this week.
weederr33 (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #175
Ernie L

OK trolls and sharp shooters..here's your meat..come and get it.

I promised to post some of my observations,screw ups,and lessons learned. Like myself not everyone has vast experience at this type of install. This is for them.

INSTRUCTIONS
I have received an updated copy of the install instructions from a fellow forum member (Thanks Matt.).
Most of the things that bugged me about the install had to do with the instructions.

I have looked through the instructions and it appears they have addressed 90% of my complaints.

There was nothing about the different race rom features or the function of the different map choices. These are a great feature and a shame if not used. They have thankfully addressed that.

Originally the instructions had you installing the cold air inlet pipe....and then telling you to purge the Inter cooler lines of air..and to do so you would need to take off the inlet pipe you just installed....mother.....trucker!!!!...They have since changed that.

The one big bugga boo still not addressed is the pictures of the inter cooler lines...they still only have pictures of the coolant lines for the RHD version of the car...I would guess that they will sell many many more left hand drive models than RHD versions...(shrug)

I would add a warning in the instructions about not over tightening of the bolts..You are screwing steel into aluminum..put away the half inch drive wrenches...use your short handled 3/8 or even ¼ drives Tighten until slight resistance is felt, and then maybe 1/8 of a turn more...no more...things can get ugly quick..

SC PARTS issues
1. I had to finish drilling out four holes on pieces of the SC install kit. The L shaped bracket meant for mounting of the purge valve was incompletely drilled.
the holes were triangular shaped.. I have seen this before when the depth of cut on a drill press is not set correctly.

2. I also had to drill out the holes on the water pump/coolant reservoir mounting bracket. It was powder coated and the coating closed up the holes that were meant for the mounting of the pump relay..speaking of which they did not include the two small bolts and nuts for mounting the relay .

None of this was a deal breaker..but then I have a drill press and spare nuts and bolts..I have no doubt that some one living in an apartment is going to try this in the parking lot !!!!! Damn Americans don't want to pay anyone to install things on our cars

3. I found it impossible to install all of the mounting bolts for the inlet pipe. I believe two of the brackets should have slotted holes to make up for the inevitable variance. The inlet pipe may have been the correct shape coming out of the welding jig. Then it got powder coated. I have seen powder coated metal change shape. The powder coating of the inlet pipe (heat) may have changed the relationship of the three bolt holes on the inlet pipe to the fixing points on the SC. I don't know..I do know I spent way to much time trying to get them all installed.

The Lessons learned ...
1.You must have flat band spring clamp pliers..there are a boat load of clamps to be installed. Get the pliers unless you want to chase spring clamps around the garage.

2. Take off the belly pan..you will drop bolts.

3. Get a bendable magnet to fish out the bolts when they drop between the runners of the SC inlet..and they will.

I also used the magnet to help me install the intake bolts...my fat fingers could not hold the bolt and fit into the small spaces. I just put the bolt on the end of the magnet ,put it in position and used a long screw driver to separate the bolt from the magnet.
4. Cover the fenders with a very thick protections...something like moving blankets...the sheet metal on these cars is very very thin. don't ask
5. Do not wear a belt (damn buckle.)
6. Get some help installing the super charger and inlet ...it's very heavy and the air conditioner hose will fight you the whole time.
7. They say not to use any sealant on the intake gaskets...however you should pay particular attention as they will move during installation...if you try to force the bolts in past a gasket taking up part of the hole you will cross thread a bolt..again this is aluminum we are talking about..not Detroit iron.

8. Read the instructions...then read them again two more times..do this for every step of the install...I found the phrasing and nomenclature a bit tough at first.,but that could just be me.

9.Don't forget to remove the injector seals from the OEM intake.

10. You might want to buy the tool used to separate the fuel lines that look like this.

It will make things easier

This company makes them..some of the vendors here sell them
http://www.company23.com/545

11. and yes I did forget to connect the gas line running from the rails on the right to left side before I installed the SC...Not exactly a Rally Sport Direct clean install but it works just fine...and it's going to stay right there to.

cheers
2much (04-01-2015), aegisdrgn (04-01-2015), ajc209 (04-02-2015), Dadhawk (04-01-2015), Insurme1 (04-03-2015), Uplink (04-01-2015), WORKS (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #176
Ernie L

Insurme1 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #177
Ernie L

Like I said..sheet metal is real thin...that's an impression of my elbow..made while I was trying to install the lower ECU mounting bolt. The local body shop just made some money. Well there it is ..the good the bad and the ugly...
350matt (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 AM   #178
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for this. I am sure Cosworth appreciate you helping out other customers too
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajc209 For This Useful Post:
Ernie L (04-02-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #179
Ernie L

Quote:
Here ya go weeder..go pro sound is not the best..I told ya I wasn't Dzoris...well I played this on my home theater set up...this system has 15 inch woofers for the bass...yes...that's what I'm talking about........the crappy sound was not the fault of the go pro..I need some better computer speakers.

Last edited by Ernie L; 04-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie L For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (04-03-2015), WORKS (04-03-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #180
Ernie L

another lesson learned

Do not place your clamp screw like this..it will rub against the bottom of the hood.

Last edited by Ernie L; 05-26-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #181
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
I just looked at mine and it's not on top, but close enough to show a little rubbing on the hood :/

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #182
Ernie L

Quote:
I just looked at mine and it's not on top, but close enough to show a little rubbing on the hood :/
Al-you-minnie-um.....who knew