follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #29
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey look! Phase 2 arrived! Reverse lights and fog lights, won't be installing the fog light bulbs until the fog lights get installed obviously... but will definitely be installing the reverse bulbs tonight. I will try and figure out how I will capture pictures of the before and after, but I think I may forgo those for now as I am just one person... I may find some ingenuity though!

Name:  Phase_2_resize_1300_975.JPG
Views: 895
Size:  242.6 KB

... his name is...

C'THULHU

Last edited by Turkish; 01-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #30
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Got the reverse lights installed right as the sun was going down. Pics of the before and after. Installation was a little interesting, I think I may have snapped one of the bulb enclosure things by twisting it too far. If I have problems, I may be springing for a replacement. That said, I am definitely in love with the increased visibility.

Before:

Name:  Reverse_OEM_resize_1300_975.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  280.0 KB

After (Stage 2):

Name:  Reverse_STG2_resize_1300_975.JPG
Views: 983
Size:  224.5 KB

... his name is...

C'THULHU
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (03-09-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #31
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
So, besides a fixation on lovecraftian horrors, why C'thulhu? Anything you plan to do to the car to make her more c'thulhu-ish?

I do hope you plan to piss off many edler gods with your build

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Turkish (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #32
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Well, the initial inspiration was that with my first sports car, it would consume my dreams and waking thoughts. Which it does. Also, it unleashes plenty of chaos on the street, particularly from other drivers rubber necking. I actually chose the name after EVERYONE asked me what I was going to name it, is it a boy or a girl, etc.

Edit: never really answered your first question, I plan on going with a Blue/black color scheme and will slowly but surely get there. I am leaning more heavily towards New Idea #1 from post #23 for the headlight "blackout".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

... his name is...

C'THULHU

Last edited by Turkish; 01-07-2014 at 01:17 AM.
SirBrass (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
With a name like that, though you have to at least do demon eyes... ;-)

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #34
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
With a name like that, though you have to at least do demon eyes... ;-)

Oh I plan to, I'm thinking blue led's tied to the drl's. Red doesn't fit the scheme.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #35
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Well, would you look at that. I may be 10 miles early, but I do think I am broken in. Time to make the pavement cry.

Name:  IMG_0243_resize_1300_975.JPG
Views: 809
Size:  223.7 KB

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #36
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Well, I got back from my vacation last night and I was greeted with a most wonderful sight at my doorstep, a box with UPS stickers! Can you guess what was inside? Well, I hate suspense so here is what was inside!

Name:  20140122_215703_scale.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  486.8 KB

Here are some pics comparing the PERRIN tips to the USDM OEM tips.

Name:  20140123_081909_scale.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  368.7 KB
Name:  20140123_081927_scale.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  349.0 KB

And here is the final pic, I will probably tinker with the fine tuning of placement and all that over the next few weeks or so.

Name:  20140123_083256_scale.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  484.6 KB

Overall, I am pretty impressed with how much of an improvement over stock these add to the cosmetic appeal of the car. Oh and sorry for the crappy smart phone pics, my camera is buried in my luggage somewhere and I didn't have the patience to search for it quite yet.

Thanks to @FT-86 SpeedFactory for shipping these out, they tend to get back ordered so if you're interested in these, you may have to wait a bit. I had to wait about a month for mine.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
ftc~brz (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #37
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Just ordered amber stage 2 LED front blinkers, red stage 2 rear blinkers, and the LED flasher relay from @Diode Dynamics for phase 3, and possibly the final phase of LED bulb swap. I am waiting to see how the OEM bulbs look in conjunction with the white fog bulbs I ordered previously; fog lights get installed with a few other things that I was waiting on my dealer to get in while I was on vacay! Yay for something always being on the horizon!

A hint for further in the future, my next mod after finishing the LED bulbs will most likely be either the catted UEL headers from @FT-86 SpeedFactory or Enkei RPF1 with Michelin PSS. Yay performance modifications!

Correction: most likely my next purchase will be mudflaps as those are pretty much a requirement for central Texas.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Diode Dynamics (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Which mud flaps are you getting? I didn't think they were a requirement here - until i drove the brz in the rain (which it actually does in Austin unlike other parts of texas). All the sand and crap that blows onto the road between rains then gets splattered all over the car - and caked on sand is quite scary to try to wash off. (I think my next upgrade purchase will need to be a pressure washer!) I am not a huge fan of the OEM or the Rally Armor which seem to be the 2 available for this car. I am looking for something more subdued than either of those - please let me know if you've seen other options.

Thanks for the before / after reverse pics. I've been looking at doing that but I didn't trust the marketing pics from the LED dealers. Also good call on LED Fogs - the stock BRZ ones look weird because you have the very nice bright white headlights with the high intensity and the LEDs but the stock fogs are normal bulb which looks weak and warm colored. I wish they would have either gone with actual yellow fogs or done LED from the beginning. Also trunk light looks great - you sold me. Do you find the cabin LED too bright when coming in from the dark?
MysteryMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #39
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post
Which mud flaps are you getting? I didn't think they were a requirement here - until i drove the brz in the rain (which it actually does in Austin unlike other parts of texas). All the sand and crap that blows onto the road between rains then gets splattered all over the car - and caked on sand is quite scary to try to wash off. (I think my next upgrade purchase will need to be a pressure washer!) I am not a huge fan of the OEM or the Rally Armor which seem to be the 2 available for this car. I am looking for something more subdued than either of those - please let me know if you've seen other options.

Thanks for the before / after reverse pics. I've been looking at doing that but I didn't trust the marketing pics from the LED dealers. Also good call on LED Fogs - the stock BRZ ones look weird because you have the very nice bright white headlights with the high intensity and the LEDs but the stock fogs are normal bulb which looks weak and warm colored. I wish they would have either gone with actual yellow fogs or done LED from the beginning. Also trunk light looks great - you sold me. Do you find the cabin LED too bright when coming in from the dark?
I haven't seen any other options yet, but I kind of like the rally armor between the options of oem and rally armor with the color matching text. I'll be looking a lot more extensively after I get a couple large bills paid in the next couple weeks. I have seen the black with red text on a red frs and thought it looked sporty and the lines looked a lot nicer in person (my own opinion). I got the middle of the road brightness for the cabin and I love it, I think the stage 3 (same as the trunk LED i have) would be too bright. At night I can see everything in my cabin and read notes or a map if I need to, obviously not while driving. Stage 1 might be nice too, but I was not happy with the stock bulb which didn't really help me see anything inside the cabin at night. Also, the car gradually turns on the cabin light so it is not a BAM and you're blind thing either.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
MysteryMachine (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #40
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
That Perrin exhaust tip looks pretty legit. haha

Looks good man.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JS + BRZ For This Useful Post:
Turkish (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #41
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I love the way the Perrin tips look! I was wanting to do the same thing on mine seeing as how I probably won't be getting the Perrin exhaust anytime soon, I was thinking this was a great alternative. That being said I haven't messed with exhaust on a car before so how hard was it to swap out the OEM tips to the Perrin?

Thanks for any info in advance!
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husker BRZ For This Useful Post:
Turkish (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #42
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker BRZ View Post
I love the way the Perrin tips look! I was wanting to do the same thing on mine seeing as how I probably won't be getting the Perrin exhaust anytime soon, I was thinking this was a great alternative. That being said I haven't messed with exhaust on a car before so how hard was it to swap out the OEM tips to the Perrin?

Thanks for any info in advance!
Have some penetrating oil on hand, as corrosion will make the bolts stick. Each tip had one bolt on the bottom, but I didn't need to jack the car up to access it, although it would have made it more comfortable. Honestly, the hardest part is getting the new tips aligned correctly. I need to readjust a tiny bit, but I may leave it unless other people mention something when they see it lol.

I believe I used a 12mm socket to remove the oem tips and 13mm for the Perrin, or it may have been 11mm and 12mm respectively? The nut on the Perrin clamp was 1mm larger than the bolt on the oem tip.

... his name is...

C'THULHU