follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,027 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I'm confident that driver was simply not comfortable in the conditions. A Hoosier H20 in the rain would feel almost like a RE71R in the dry.
Neither of these drivers lacks experience in the rain and neither was *****-footing around. I do have to think it is likely that their tires were not at 100%, but they were getting around better than the vast majority.

Anyway, at the very least I'd put RE71R head and shoulders above any other street tire for grip at the track in the rain.

RE71R in the dry is of course going to have tons more grip than H2O in the pouring rain...

Last edited by ZDan; 11-23-2018 at 08:34 AM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Neither of these drivers lacks experience in the rain and neither was *****-footing around. I do have to think it is likely that their tires were not at 100%, but they were getting around better than the vast majority.

Anyway, at the very least I'd put RE71R head and shoulders above any other street tire for grip at the track in the rain.

RE71R in the dry is of course going to have tons more grip than H2O in the pouring rain...
Hyperbole to make a point, but the point still stands.

To your and Totemo's point - Hoosier's tend to age as well as cottage cheese.
CSG Mike (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #17
ZDan

I just found this in the COMSSC forums regarding a proposal to add 2 points to the RE71R for 2019:
in the deep wet at Watkins Glen, it was outperforming Hoosier Wets in portions of the track with deep standing water.
Hey, that was me :P

https://www.comscc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5822
Turbo (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #18
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I just found this in the COMSSC forums regarding a proposal to add 2 points to the RE71R for 2019:
in the deep wet at Watkins Glen, it was outperforming Hoosier Wets in portions of the track with deep standing water.
Hey, that was me :P

https://www.comscc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5822
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

The fact of the matter is that you were "doing it better" than he was. If you came in during that session and swapped to new H20s you would have gone faster and not in an insignificant way.
CSG Mike (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #19
ZDan

Quote:
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
HA! No thanks...

If you have any information or data on the wet performance of these tires, feel free to share it.

I'll share what I have, which is of course anecdotal, but it's something...

At Watkins Glen, conditions on day 1 were inundated with standing water at several spots. T50 Miata was the fastest other car I came across in practice, I was gathering him up at about 0.5 second per lap when we both came in. He remarked his semi-amazement that I was doing it on RE71Rs vs. his H2Os. I was doing ~2:35 lap times in those conditions.
Next day in the dry time trial I did a 2:18.6 on the same RE71Rs vs. his 2:17.4 on Hoosier R7s.
T50 Miata power/weight ~16.5 lb/hp
T40 BRZ power/weight ~14:1 lb/hp

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that you were "doing it better" than he was. If you came in during that session and swapped to new H20s you would have gone faster and not in an insignificant way.
Faster maybe, but I don't know about "significantly"...
T50 Miata pilot is regarded by most, including myself, as the best driver in the club by some margin. I have been out with him before (in the dry in his old E36 M3) at WGI to figure out how he was going so damn fast and to get some ideas, basically he just hits the same marks at the absolute limit every single lap and doesn't screw up, ever. Whereas my laps are random and chaotic, no two alike, all leaving something on the table somewhere and going too far over the limit elsewhere.

My impression of my stockish BRZ on RE71Rs in wet with standing water is that after you lose grip you can just hang on for a bit and it will eventually come back without spitting you off the track. When the back comes out, the car doesn't just swap ends, you can hang it out for a while and it will come back.

His setup is no doubt stiffer and probably more oversteery, and also the Miata has a more rearward c.g. on a shorter wheelbase so probably not as forgiving in standing water conditions.

In the end I think I had a car advantage for the inundated/standing water conditions. While I don't necessarily think I had an inherent *tire* advantage, neither do I think I had much if any of a tire *disadvantage*, for those conditions.

My 0.02!
Old 11-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
rice_classic

Like I said, I can't understand it for you.

If you're going to suggest that a 200tw street tire is going to out-perform a Hoosier H20, especially in the heavy rain, then the burden of proof is on you to defend such ridiculousness.

And ridiculous it is.

Last edited by rice_classic; 11-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #21
ZDan

Quote:
Like I said, I can't understand it for you.
Again, no thanks on that anyway :P

Quote:
If you're going to suggest that a 200tw street tire is going to out-perform a Hoosier H20, especially in the heavy rain, then the burden of proof is on you to defend such ridiculousness.
I never expected to be running with faster, better-driven cars on H2Os in the pouring rain with me on RE71Rs, but then it happened...

I'm not saying that this means RE71Rs are better or faster in the rain all else equal, but I will say that whatever gap there is seems to me to be a LOT smaller than I would have expected, based on my on-track experiences in the rain this year.

H2O may well be significanly faster in most if not all wet conditions, all else equal, but you declaring it as a fact without any evidence (even anecdotal) doesn't mean much to me...

*Anyway*, at the very least I highly recommend RE71R for wet track work in the 200TW street tire category...
Turbo (11-29-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #22
Abenaway

Drives: SSC base 13'FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
PS4S. Hands down
Abenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:10 AM   #23
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I second the Michelin PS4S for the 200tw; also, run it in 215/45/17 size.

The ultimate answer depends on the depth of the water and the temperature. There is a reason some professional race series have more than one type of rain tire available. Also, suspension setup may play a key role here. Professional racers may change the suspension settings significantly for a wet race. A near stock suspension setup may do quite well in heavy rain. Tread depth plays a BIG factor in really heavy rain. Hoosier H20 starts with 8/32" tread, and if worn will be at a disadvantage when it gets really wet. The Hoosier H20 may also not be very sticky in really cold rain (I don't know the details of the compound). These factors may be why a Bridgestone RE71R could be quicker than a Hoosier H20 on a particular day.

For newer track drivers (or ones on a budget) your daily driver tire is a good option for really wet weather. I ran the stock Michelin Primacy HP tires on stock wheels in real heavy, cold rain at the track and was one of the fastest cars on the track (only a few even went on the track). I easily passed a Chump car that had been passing me all day – I was glad to see when I got back into the pits that the team had drilled significant holes in the floor of that car since the windshield was its only glass. Overheating the tires was not a problem and the tread depth and narrow width was to my advantage. I plan to go back to the track this spring, with my BF Goodrich G-Force Rival for the dry and damp track and my daily Yokohama Advan Sport V105 for really wet conditions. The Rivals are old and probably not too sticky any more from lack of use, but inexpensive as I already own them and they have significant tread left. The Yoko's may be replaced with some Michelin PS4S's before I go as the Yoko's are near the end of their life.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #24
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
According to Mr. Hollis, either the Michelin PS4S or the Contiental ExtremeContactSport. Article:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...laren-mp4-12c/

Video:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuxkXbDGkS8[/ame]

Although there is no direct comparison, he recommended these over the RE-71R's. That seems to make sense since both of these tires have more circumferential groves (4 on each tire) than the RE71's (only 2) which allows more water evacuation.

I personally haven't tested either, but I'm thinking about picking up a set of the conti's for wet track duty.

I will say, if the track is only damp/wet with no standing puddles and you're in a drying condition, that the RE71's will probably be a lot faster just due to their compound. But for a truly wet track, I'll take the extra groves for water evacuation.
Sleepless (03-18-2019), strat61caster (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Also, suspension setup may play a key role here. Professional racers may change the suspension settings significantly for a wet race.
Pro teams will change suspension settings significantly for a wet race. They may change the total lateral load transfer distribution by quite a bit, in addition to just softening the car.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-19-2019), wparsons (03-18-2019)