follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #29
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lol, it's a knock off in the sense that the greddy stamped is knocked off.
gotta suck to be the guy that paid an extra 1k for greddy stamp.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #30
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
IBTL
civdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
koevasi

Drives: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjcyber View Post
Word is Greddy was using Zage for production of their kits, but then backed out. So Zage needed a distributor to buy the kits Greddy didn't pay for, and as a result started making new ones for SBD.
i knew it!

lol

the most realistic scenario unless greddy came on the board and said they have never ever gdealt with zage.

oh wait did they?

who knows anymore with all the threads getting deleted!!
koevasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #32
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Greddy just came on and said Zage wasn't making their kits, not that they have never had a relationship with them.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #33
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
How exactly is it an inferior product if it had greddy stamped on the parts?
It's not even a knock off at that point... it's a "legit" part.

Fact is... none of us have the facts except greddy and zage. So everything is speculation at this point.
It's been de-counterfeited.

Law's pretty loose on knockoffs, but you outright counterfeit at brand name and you take a lot of shit.

Says to me that these guys are selling parts from a counterfeiter and doing the bare minimum to make them 'legal' for import.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #34
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Greddy posted there side of the story. Here it is word for word. These are not my words.

"We have been getting calls and emails regrading our GReddy Turbo kit vs Speed by Design Turbo kit so we would like to clarify this once and for all.

First of all, GReddy Performance Products, Inc and our parent company Trust co. Ltd in Japan has no business relationship with Speed by Design or their turbo kit supplier Zage Turbo in Taiwan. In the post made by Speed by Design promoting their kit for the FR-S, people are confused on who manufactures our kit and why ZAGE/SBD kit are so similar in design with our kit. The kit Zage and SBD are selling is a direct copy of our product except for the airfilter and BOV. ZAGE pretty much took our kit and copied everything down to manifold, intercooler layout even to cast piping, brackets and heat shields. If you look at our kit and compare them to kit from Zage/SBD, you will see that they are identical.

We use genuine GReddy Turbo custom made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industry Turbocharger in Japan to our spec, we invest many hours testing for the ideal turbo spec, manifold design, intercooler and piping layout. Also invested in all the tooling and molds for all the components included in our kit. While testing these kit we have also designed other necessary components such as the oil cooler kit which is a must for this application. Knockoff companies are not capable of this.

Companies such as Zage without any R&D to develop their own products, simply takes other companies products and mass produce them in China and Taiwan where it is much cheaper to produce and offer these products back in to the market profiting off other companies hard work.

If you look at other forced induction kits in the market for FR-S/BRZ you will see many different layout and setups made by each designers, fabricators and tuners. GReddy Kit is our original kit designed and developed by our own R&D team and manufactured by Trust Co. Ltd. in Japan. and if there are identical products our there it is not a coincidence.

We have visited Zage in Taiwan and confronted them about the kit they are producing and all they could do was make up excuses and was desperately trying to earn our business so they can make the claim they supply to us as well. We were not going to let that happen. Instead we teamed up with Garrett this year to add another high quality products to our product line up. We are in the process of developing new kits as we speak. No China or Taiwan knock off turbochargers will be used in our GReddy kits!

So to answer many question we get from this FT86Club community and other FR-S and BRZ clubs, GReddy Turbo kit for the FR-S/BRZ is not from the same supplier as Speed by Design and what Zage and its distributors are selling is a complete knockoff product of GReddy. (expect for the air filter, BOV and other minor features).

We hope Ft86Club and its members respect our efforts and hard work to deliver quality products to this community and let us tell the truth regards these knockoff products such as what is being sold by Zage and its distributors.

We recommend everyone in this forum that before you spend your hard earned money, do the research and make sure you fully are aware of what you are buying and what kind of companies you are supporting. "

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mrk1 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-27-2014), brianhj (10-28-2014), Cessblood (10-27-2014), FR-Sizzle (10-28-2014), GotBRZ1691 (11-10-2014), Lonewolf (10-25-2014), Poodles (10-26-2014), SkAsphalt (10-27-2014), woode (10-26-2014), Xero-Limit (11-09-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
If they copied the cast, I want to know why they thought it was a good idea to keep the big ass greddy logo and grind it down.
I'm assuming they either have one of the casts or they get the piping from someone who does.

Does every SBD kit have that ground down logo?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #36
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Seriously, that's the problem with the world today? Free market capitalism? I think the world has bigger problems than that.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying, but the market self corrects. People will start paying for more quality if the cheap stuff is truly crap, but when the quality is equal, people will pay for what is financially feasible to them.

Also, companies get to write off R&D expenditures, so the companies that innovate have financial incentives to do so beyond charging more to the customer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I was referring to his attitude/mentality when saying that is what is wrong with the world today.
Piracy and theft is certainly not free market capitalism. The market "corrects" itself by companies being exposed for what they are. "Write off R&D expenditures"? Sorry, but no; it doesn't work that way.
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #37
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
I was referring to his attitude/mentality when saying that is what is wrong with the world today.
Piracy and theft is certainly not free market capitalism. The market "corrects" itself by companies being exposed for what they are. "Write off R&D expenditures"? Sorry, but no; it doesn't work that way.
If this was a case of piracy and theft, I guarantee Trust/Greddy would have sicked a can of legal whoopass on these guys.

Something else is going on here.

And yes, talk to a tax accountant about R&D tax write offs. It does work that way.

Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #38
koevasi

Drives: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
If this was a case of piracy and theft, I guarantee Trust/Greddy would have sicked a can of legal whoopass on these guys.

And yes, talk to a tax accountant about R&D tax write offs. It does work that way.

well the can of legal whoopass isnt cheap.

but even if we assume that they absolutely had no business relationship at all as greddy claims and this really is a clear case of design / ip infringement the cost of getting a judgment in the US and getting it enforced in Taiwan would be pretty high. sbd have sold a total of what, 50+ kits in the US?

i agree though - something else is going on - but then again i love my conspiracy theories!
koevasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 AM   #39
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
Quote:

You act like writing off R&D means it never cost the company anything. Surely if you are a tax accountant you know this is far from the truth. Tax is still pretty small in the big picture, they are paying a lot of money and time for R&D.

We know that Greddy put in the R&D for the kit. We know that Sage is putting out a forgery/clone/copy/rip-off of the kit. Not too hard to connect the dots here..
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woode For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (01-08-2015)
Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #40
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
You act like writing off R&D means it never cost the company anything. Surely if you are a tax accountant you know this is far from the truth. Tax is still pretty small in the big picture, they are paying a lot of money and time for R&D.

We know that Greddy put in the R&D for the kit. We know that Sage is putting out a forgery/clone/copy/rip-off of the kit. Not too hard to connect the dots here..
I didn't say it cost them nothing, I said companies that innovate have financial incentives to do so beyond simply charging more to the customer.

Charge more because you truly have a product, service, or process that sets you apart from competitors. If what you make can be provided by some other company for less, and their product is inferior, let the consumer beware. If the product is of comparable quality and the only differentiator is "we did the R&D and deserve to be paid more but we don't have a legal leg to stand on to enforce it" then you're doing something wrong.

Not targeting this at you, just speaking rhetorically since I see this argument a lot for some of the brands on here (many of which I've personally spent money on, don't get me wrong.)

Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #41
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
If they copied the cast, I want to know why they thought it was a good idea to keep the big ass greddy logo and grind it down.
I'm assuming they either have one of the casts or they get the piping from someone who does.

Does every SBD kit have that ground down logo?
Ive seen 3 kits first hand and they all had the same ground down logo. The one I posted was the most legible. There are also other questionable ground down spots on the kit, like the turbo. Not that Greddy needed any convincing but I have forwarded these photos to them.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #42
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
Ive seen 3 kits first hand and they all had the same ground down logo. The one I posted was the most legible. There are also other questionable ground down spots on the kit, like the turbo. Not that Greddy needed any convincing but I have forwarded these photos to them.
Thank god! I'll contact the CIA and get the investigation going. Get these criminals off the streets.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (10-26-2014), solus (10-26-2014)