follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2015, 01:29 AM   #29
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just got the Ram Mount with the X-Grip shown above, $50 shipped to my door in 2 days from Amazon, looks incredibly solid, will be trying it at AutoX this weekend. Don't plan on leaving it in place for too long, only occasionally so suction cup is a big thumbs up for me.

I can understand how someone interested in a long term no hassle mount that hides away wouldn't like it though.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #30
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Has anyone tried adhering the ram adhesive mount to the dash to the right of the head unit? The suction cup is good for a few weeks at a time, just looking for something more permanent short of drilling holes.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EZPLFS/ref=pe_385040_127745480_TE_item"]Amazon.com: Ram Mount Flex Adhesive Base with 1-Inch Ball: Car Electronics[/ame]
Old 03-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #31
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
Not a huge fan of suction cup mounts because they all come off on their own eventually. That could be days or weeks or months but it will come off on its own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
The suction cup is good for a few weeks at a time, just looking for something more permanent short of drilling holes.
I have mine on my windshield on the left side, it's been on there since 2013 so well.. there's that. If it falls off it won't be a disaster because it will fall all of 2cm onto my dashboard.

"lick it before you stick it"
Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #32
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scosche Magic Mount

/thread

$15 at Walmart/Amazon - http://www.walmart.com/ip/magicMOUNT...Mount/37551986

It's basically a strong magnet that DOES NOT mess up your internal components because it uses the special type of rare metal that you see on the back of my phone. It's very minimal on the phone and in the car. Holds very strong. Allows for full use of all buttons. The metal piece can be stuck easily in a case. I've seen people stick it inside their Galaxy S4 and S5 after removing the back battery door cover. It's very thin.

BabaYaga (11-01-2016)
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #33
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Comment from the other side...

I used a car mount for my smartphone years ago, with the advent of smartphones. But I put is aside after a while - way too distracting. Consider putting your phone away when driving.

Scary how much time people spend focusing on tiny text and tiny visual cues in a small display space never meant for use in a car or while driving.

Just my 2 cents.
Stay safe for God's sake!!
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billyk For This Useful Post:
Caspeed (04-02-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #34
MikeyBatz

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
Not a huge fan of suction cup mounts because they all come off on their own eventually. That could be days or weeks or months but it will come off on its own.
Mine has been mounted solid for the last 8 months. This was originally designed for military use, so its hella durable.
MikeyBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #35
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBatz View Post
Mine has been mounted solid for the last 8 months. This was originally designed for military use, so its hella durable.
I've had those super strong suction cup mounts. After a hot summer then cold winter they tend to lose their suction and eventually come off. Its basic physics, the expansion of hot summers and the contraction of cold winters.

When a person is driving at night using Google Maps, its quite disheartening when the phone suddenly falls to the ground due to the suction mount failing. You tend to lose confidence in those kind of mounts after an experience like that. That happened to me after the mount held its place for several months.

Also, reapplication is a PITA because the first reapplication usually won't be right because cup will be dirty or the mount wasn't pressed down hard enough or at the proper angle (directly perpendicular to the windshield).

I find CD slot mounts to be more reliable and easier to put in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
Comment from the other side...

I used a car mount for my smartphone years ago, with the advent of smartphones. But I put is aside after a while - way too distracting. Consider putting your phone away when driving.

Scary how much time people spend focusing on tiny text and tiny visual cues in a small display space never meant for use in a car or while driving.

Just my 2 cents.
Stay safe for God's sake!!
I use my phone mostly for the Torque app to monitor coolant temps and boost.

Also, for google maps sometimes.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #36
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
You're assuming people are using it as a phone.

Mine has all my music in it, so it's an extension of my stereo. That's one of the reasons I mounted it where I did.

I also use it as a back up GPS on the road, because let's face it, sometimes the built-in nav sucks balls. Sometimes I like to have two navs running at the same time in case one of them tries something stupid like sending me the wrong way down a one way street or telling me to turn right off an elevated highway (both of which happen periodically with this piece of shit nav unit in the car). "Route recalculation. Route recalculation. Route recalculation." SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I also use it to run Radar Now when I hit weather. Sometimes it's better just to stay put for ten minutes and let that hail core in front of you go right on by.

And finally, some of us use our phones to run Torque. I actually have a dedicated Galaxy Note phablet for that, but if I didn't, I would be running Torque on my phone right there next to the stereo.

So you put your phone away. Mine is busy with everything BUT talking and texting.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #37
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Anyone know if the proclip mount will work on a JPM Coachworks alcantara wrapped single piece dash? Also, what would be the best way to run the Lightning/USB cable from the iPhone holder to the 12 volt power outlet behind the glove compartment? I want to hide as much of the cable as possible for a cleaner look.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #38
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just chiming in on my Ram mount suction cup still stuck to my window for close to a year, holding my OFT or my phone.
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew025 For This Useful Post:
Wyattkb (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #39
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You're assuming people are using it as a phone.

Mine has all my music in it, so it's an extension of my stereo. That's one of the reasons I mounted it where I did.

I also use it as a back up GPS on the road, because let's face it, sometimes the built-in nav sucks balls. Sometimes I like to have two navs running at the same time in case one of them tries something stupid like sending me the wrong way down a one way street or telling me to turn right off an elevated highway (both of which happen periodically with this piece of shit nav unit in the car). "Route recalculation. Route recalculation. Route recalculation." SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I also use it to run Radar Now when I hit weather. Sometimes it's better just to stay put for ten minutes and let that hail core in front of you go right on by.

And finally, some of us use our phones to run Torque. I actually have a dedicated Galaxy Note phablet for that, but if I didn't, I would be running Torque on my phone right there next to the stereo.

So you put your phone away. Mine is busy with everything BUT talking and texting.
Not assuming anything. Just encouraging that drivers avoid distraction while driving - for any reason.
If you are not attending to that little display space off to the side while driving you are doing it right. If so, I wish more drivers were like you.
Stay safe!
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #40
Wyattkb

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I use a RAM mount. One of the best things I ever purchased for my car.

I don't have a picture of it mounted in my car, but I stick the cup on the small triangle window on the drivers side. It sits out of the way of the steering wheel and turn signal, but sits close enough so you can use it while resting your arm on the door or hand on the wheel.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-UN7U

Wyattkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #41
DashRipRock

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S-6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have been using the same RAM mount with a window suction cup for about 10 years. Best money I have ever spent on something for my car. Falls off about once or twice a year.
DashRipRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #42
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Best mount I have ever bought.

Goes in the CD slot and will mount any size phone (even my Lumia 1520 phablet).
It puts the phone above the stereo so it does not block the screen or any controls.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G1L52Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G1L52Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote