follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 AM   #169
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It would be rad to make a button housing that would fit into the little nook or whatever it is called thats next to the aux input/ usb on the console

as an autox-er in the san diego area, going into the OFT and having the pedal dance mode active while racing but then turning it off between heats ( like in a bmw event) it gets to be kinda a pain.
if it was a switch on the console, easy day.

and it shouldnt be too hard to make a faceplate that snaps into the nook type dealie

i dunno maybe other people use it.

Edit:

I found the nook switch panel and Im an idiot for not lurking more : https://www.seriesblueadventures.com.../switch-panel/

Last edited by Clutch Dog; 11-07-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (11-14-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #170
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
well i have it but its experimental. Since i dont have a local track to test it out its more difficult for me to confirm this.
Trust me, you don't want ABS disable for track work. It doesn't work. It's well documented. It might be nice for drifters, but for track stuff, the bias is off and is a bad decision.

Proven that the standard Pedal Dance is all that is required for track work/racing. I w2w race my car and that's all I use or need.

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #171
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Well my car isnt even titled, registered or insured so no street driving here. However I do see a legal liability issue there.. hopefully I'll remember to preorder tomorrow
I just ordered 4 of them, would love the SRS light off as well.

-mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #172
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I get consistent "ice mode" with PD. It happens on a straight line or mid corner sweeper. Am I doing something wrong?
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #173
beanswv17

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
well i have it but its experimental. Since i dont have a local track to test it out its more difficult for me to confirm this.
Is it possible to preorder with ABS disable wired in with the understanding it's experimental?
beanswv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #174
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
I get consistent "ice mode" with PD. It happens on a straight line or mid corner sweeper. Am I doing something wrong?
Don't jump on the brake pedal. That will do it every time, because it forces your ABS program to immediately dump rear bias, sending it all to the front, and increasing Ice Mode potential

Try to straighten the wheel as much as possible before braking.

Try a pad with less initial bite, or matches up better with your tire grip. "Endurance" compounds are always a great choice for smooth initial bite and ABS compatibility.

I've had it only about 1 time, and I'm in a race car on hoosiers, using Raybestos ST42. Those are the lowest bite, "enduro" compound they offer, and it's as much initial bite and torque as I'd want. I have been thrilled with the lack of ABS interference thus far. I have tons of experience trying to dodge "ice mode" in Porsches. The key is to use an endurance style pad that has a torque curve that rises slightly with heat. It allows much better modulation and plays nicer with ABS programs.

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prandelia For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #175
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
I just ordered 4 of them, would love the SRS light off as well.

-mike
Well if you have a gutten car/ race car only then sure. But this won't be something I will do in general. The way I can try and do it is by emulating the airbag ecu. But even then I can't promise it working. It's a il tos it in there to see if it works.

Same for the ABS disable. Not sure about it so I won't claim I can do that. I can add it but no guarantee.

Originally I assumed that the abs disable though canbus is the same as pulling the fuse. But (some people) are saying that in their old beastronix it did not turn off the brake biassing (from what they can tell). So it would be interesting to see if what I found is similar to that or not.

But I agree. In a track ABS disable isn't usefully at all. If your drifting or want to go sideways then sure. But at that point why not just pull the abs fuse.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #176
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well if you have a gutten car/ race car only then sure. But this won't be something I will do in general. The way I can try and do it is by emulating the airbag ecu. But even then I can't promise it working. It's a il tos it in there to see if it works.

Same for the ABS disable. Not sure about it so I won't claim I can do that. I can add it but no guarantee.

Originally I assumed that the abs disable though canbus is the same as pulling the fuse. But (some people) are saying that in their old beastronix it did not turn off the brake biassing (from what they can tell). So it would be interesting to see if what I found is similar to that or not.

But I agree. In a track ABS disable isn't usefully at all. If your drifting or want to go sideways then sure. But at that point why not just pull the abs fuse.

From everything I can remember and could tell legitimately, abs disable did not change bias. I'd simply get a wheel lock up where I was getting ice mode without the disable. Everywhere else, exactly the same performance and different from the fuse pull, which was undrivable. Relatively speaking. AutoX, in the dry on asphalt, and in the rain on concrete. Never got even PD to work while I had that car. Maybe pads (AX-6), maybe surface, definitely driving.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #177
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
From everything I can remember and could tell legitimately, abs disable did not change bias. I'd simply get a wheel lock up where I was getting ice mode without the disable. Everywhere else, exactly the same performance and different from the fuse pull, which was undrivable. Relatively speaking. AutoX, in the dry on asphalt, and in the rain on concrete. Never got even PD to work while I had that car. Maybe pads (AX-6), maybe surface, definitely driving.
you had a 17+ or a 13-16?

since the PD works a bit differently, and so does the various levels or TC/ VSC / ABS / brake bias.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #178
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
you had a 17+ or a 13-16?

since the PD works a bit differently, and so does the various levels or TC/ VSC / ABS / brake bias.
That was in a '14.

Have to check, I think the aftermarket stereo uses the canbus plug for the steering wheel control adapter in the '17, but I'd like to try one of these in the new car. Things to sort out while the car waits for spring.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #179
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
That was in a '14.

Have to check, I think the aftermarket stereo uses the canbus plug for the steering wheel control adapter in the '17, but I'd like to try one of these in the new car. Things to sort out while the car waits for spring.

no the steering wheel adapters are usually within the 24 or 28pin plugs. the steering wheels are resistive type not canbus. But not sure if your installation system usest that connector for power and ground.
cjd (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #180
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
+1 on others, ease into the brakes, stomping on them is a surefire way to get ice mode, good habit to learn imho, stomping on the brakes last minute to get that extra few feet of acceleration and not totally blowing the corner is an instance of the "nannies" saving you from yourself. It certainly took me some time to unlearn.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #181
nwgabrz

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup! I actually contacted him to know how the switch worked to make it work with it too. (sorry I did not know this was you! Lol). So I have a couple of wires available there. One is 12v+ that turns on when the car is on. One is ground from the car. And a third wire will be the actual signal to the device. It's a 12v inputs for it so it should work perfectly fine with those switches. ( I based my design around those because I am ganna buy some too lol). The only thing is that the 12v and the ground do need to be connected to multiple switches though. So a little Daisy chain would need to be done.

Do any of you guys know what terminals those switches uses? I mean for the backside. As in a generic slide in connector like a speaker tabs?

Edit: and each additional signal has its own cable. But the 12v and ground need to be shared.
Hey Gerald,

When you say this works with the seriesblueadventures switches, do you mean we can wire each toggle switch to each function?

i.e. one switch to turn on/off pedal dance, one switch for fan control, etc.

Thanks,
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #182
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
Hey Gerald,

When you say this works with the seriesblueadventures switches, do you mean we can wire each toggle switch to each function?

i.e. one switch to turn on/off pedal dance, one switch for fan control, etc.

Thanks,
Yup pritty much. you can select how many features you want. or bundle multiple ones with a single switch etc..