follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchs_86 View Post
look closely at the rear end!!!

Yep.. that's the underskirt.. or rear under-diffuser.

I was hoping it would be a little more pronounced.. but still, it looks really sharp.

Still, that could be a pre-production model as well.

Should be intereting to see what the msrp is on that.. if it's under $150 I'd probably go for it as it would be nice to have it factory installed.. If more, I'll wait and buy aftermarket. Since it doesn't need to be painted and attaches underneath and out of sight, there will be many aftermarket alternatives that are cheap and easy to install.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
looks like that red BRZ in the video also has the optional chrome gas cover and side accents.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
blueBRZ

Drives: 2010 GTI & 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have to say...I actually love the chrome fender trim accents...and usually, I'm anti-chrome. Kinda gives a more finished look to the faux-vent area.

The under spoiler also looks good, although it almost makes the US-spec exhaust tips look that much smaller.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I want the side fin blade! the underskirt looks odd if you have tiny exhaust tips lol
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Is this underspoiler actually functional?
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
thermobox

Drives: 16 Impreza 5dr CWP
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
If it's anything like the R205 underspoiler, I would assume it's functional.
thermobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
kash

Drives: an awesome one
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueBRZ View Post
I have to say...I actually love the chrome fender trim accents...and usually, I'm anti-chrome. Kinda gives a more finished look to the faux-vent area.

The under spoiler also looks good, although it almost makes the US-spec exhaust tips look that much smaller.
So the chrome accent thing we see right next to the side mirros is the Chrome Fender Trim? I like!
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
blueBRZ

Drives: 2010 GTI & 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
So the chrome accent thing we see right next to the side mirros is the Chrome Fender Trim? I like!
Yeah...that's my assumption too. I ordered it (price unknown) so we'll see what shows up at the dealer. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermobox View Post
If it's anything like the R205 underspoiler, I would assume it's functional.
After seeing the BRZ underbody in person, I would not assume it's functional at all. There's no aero-handling rearwards of the front axle. There's big airflow disruptions well before any laminar flow may tumble around the bumper; the rear diff, muffler, all the air gaps, and finally the bumper cover. The accessory under-spoiler would have to essentially be an entire rear-underbody panel to be at all functional for creating downforce.

From that accessory catalog picture, it looks like nothing more than a narrow strip of body-colored plastic that decorates the bottom of the bumper cover. If you like how it looks, then go for it. Until proven otherwise, assume it's aesthetic-only.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Any of the numerous underbody pictures show a completely exposed rear suspension, but I don't think that's the main thing. The muffler body and fake diffuser will already sort of act as pressure recovery/wake filling, and tacking on a metal piece underneath it with the exact same shape that doesn't extend past the rear bumper has zero net effect. Since they're essentially using the muffler as bodywork, to make a noticable change in the aero of the car you'd have to get rid of it and replace with something more compact, put some plastic covers on the suspension components, and work from there.

IIRC the catalog said the "rear under spoiler" cost something like 700 dollars O_O
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #25
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
After seeing the BRZ underbody in person, I would not assume it's functional at all. There's no aero-handling rearwards of the front axle. There's big airflow disruptions well before any laminar flow may tumble around the bumper; the rear diff, muffler, all the air gaps, and finally the bumper cover. The accessory under-spoiler would have to essentially be an entire rear-underbody panel to be at all functional for creating downforce.

From that accessory catalog picture, it looks like nothing more than a narrow strip of body-colored plastic that decorates the bottom of the bumper cover. If you like how it looks, then go for it. Until proven otherwise, assume it's aesthetic-only.
did you see the underbody airflow cover that's found on the jdm aero package on the USDM version of the BRZ?

ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
did you see the underbody airflow cover that's found on the jdm aero package on the USDM version of the BRZ?

Those don't do much, the gas tank is more or less flat already, but the suspension arms are exposed, and those will be a problem as I said.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don't recall seeing any underbody cladding like that. There was just an under-front-bumper plate and a lower engine pan. The aero aft of that is not developed whatsoever.

--->serial: The muffler is a horrible aero shape and is likely not positively contributing to any "pressure recovery". The fake diffuser is just a normal bumper cover that has molded-in black color where the uninformed assume a diffuser would be. There's no good aero-handling whatsoever to that rear underbody, muffler, bumper cover, or anything.

Edit: As seen in the Moto IQ pictures, no underbody cladding, and ill-shaped "aero":

Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
serialk11r

Garage
Well it does *something* as the muffler is angled slightly upward and while there's a gap between it and the "diffuser" piece, the angle is correct and the suspension components and stuff all sit above the bottom of the muffler. So it has some kind of effect, it's just very small due to the messy underbody. Putting a smooth plastic board over the whole thing would eliminate the gaps and make it work a bit better. Ideally, the underbody should start sloping up much earlier...it looks to me like the only thing that's really in the way is the differential. So I think it should be possible to start an upward sloping plastic piece at the gas tank ahead of the rear axle, with a protruding "tunnel" for the differential. The muffler should be switched to a smaller one to get it out of the way, the exhaust pipe should be routed out of the airflow, and then the fake diffuser could use some trimming to get it to sit higher for more downforce, or the overall height increase could be kept the same for low drag.

I believe those covers are options, as the JDM spec sheet did talk about a gas tank cover or something. Just their way of ripping us off I guess. Coroplast board tacked onto the bottom should do the job. I guess this is another place where you can tell they were trying to go cheap, they do a better job than this on some Camry model or something.