follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #981
Chillemall

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLESH KILLA View Post
If you feel the need to confirm that something is or is not "cool", then you should not be partaking in said thing. Do something because you love it, not to make others love you. Just my 2¢... IMO Drifting is fuXXing awesome and always will be. Nothing like seeing a car go sideways. Nice pics!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IT WAS A JOKE JOKE JOKE..

TRYNNA GET SOME ACTION IN THIS THREAD. You think i'd need to ask that question if i just posted me thrashing my car?

Please don't be a boner.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #982
FLESH KILLA
Mr Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven)
Garage
Sorry, not trying to be a prick. This thread definitely needs more posts though. No way there's only a few 86 owners into drifting. Come on people...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #983
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone on here drifting a boosted 86??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
SoCal80six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #984
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal80six View Post
Anyone on here drifting a boosted 86??

Not yet, but I'm hoping to before the end of the season.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
SoCal80six (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #985
SoCal80six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Not yet, but I'm hoping to before the end of the season.
Nice thinking of going drift build on my boosted 86 just worried on how reliable one would be ahah

Old 03-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #986
Shady195

Quote:
Nice thinking of going drift build on my boosted 86 just worried on how reliable one would be ahah

Always a risk but as long as you have a competent tuner and are not pushing the stock motor to hard you should be fine.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #987
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I've run my car in 4 events now, and I'm running an Innovate/Sprintex 210 intercooled setup, with JDL EUL headers and midpipe. Everything else is stock on the car, and I'm still new to the drift scene and learning. Car seems to do pretty good, but I'm afraid I might be picking up bad habits with the extra power/torque as I can usually just stab the throttle to break the rear loose.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #988
SoCal80six

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
I've run my car in 4 events now, and I'm running an Innovate/Sprintex 210 intercooled setup, with JDL EUL headers and midpipe. Everything else is stock on the car, and I'm still new to the drift scene and learning. Car seems to do pretty good, but I'm afraid I might be picking up bad habits with the extra power/torque as I can usually just stab the throttle to break the rear loose.
Yeah my motor was just built but idk why It's something I always worry about ahah. Does their need to be any special tuning if your going to be drifting a boosted 86? Any things to look out for?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #989
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Probably like any other motorsport, keep an eye on temps. I still need to get an oil cooler setup, but I don't normally run continuously. It's more like an autox where I'm running at, get in line and run, then sit in line for a bit and repeat. You get in many times more runs than the autox cross though.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarzCarzCarz For This Useful Post:
SoCal80six (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #990
SoCal80six

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Probably like any other motorsport, keep an eye on temps. I still need to get an oil cooler setup, but I don't normally run continuously. It's more like an autox where I'm running at, get in line and run, then sit in line for a bit and repeat. You get in many times more runs than the autox cross though.
Yeah definitely excited for it I'm scared of the weak transmission mostly.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #991
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
There are a few people doing it. You're really just playing the waiting game with which drivetrain component is going to go. It'll be the transmission or an axle.

Proper tuning and cooling will help keep the motor in check. Also keep the power levels conservative. I'd recommend DSS axles and try not to run too much rear end grip. After that, it's just a matter of how long the transmission takes the a use.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (03-28-2016), SoCal80six (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #992
SoCal80six

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
There are a few people doing it. You're really just playing the waiting game with which drivetrain component is going to go. It'll be the transmission or an axle.

Proper tuning and cooling will help keep the motor in check. Also keep the power levels conservative. I'd recommend DSS axles and try not to run too much rear end grip. After that, it's just a matter of how long the transmission takes the a use.
Ahah I know it sucks wish I didn't have to worry about it as much. Might just lower boost for drifting.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #993
Shady195

So i installed my 16MM rear sway bar....

I have not been to an event yet, however I figured id share my thoughts with everybody from just a little street driving and tiny bit of hooning in between.

I bought a larger rear sway bar after some recommendations of removing the front, I figured I could achieve those same results, while not unbalancing the car to much. I daily drive my car, and as anyone who does the same knows, its a delicate balance between trying to get better performance on the fewer weekend events, while having a car you can live with everyday on the street. Sometimes compromises need to be made in one direction or the other..

Install took about 45 minutes with my 7 year old daughter doing most of the work, yes serious; i cracked the bolts and she wanted to help me so I let her take her time removing them. Realistically you could do it in 15-20 if you wanted a quick job.

Impressions:

The car has a much sharper turn in which surprised me. I guess I was expecting the front to feel almost the same, while maybe the rear feeling a little lighter and less stable; however to my surprise with some pretty hard street driving, the back still feels planted under power, it did not feel significantly more unstable if at all while letting off the gas mid corner which was something that worried me.

One thing that may be weird to describe is how the chassis itself feels. While turning in its almost as if the front and rear are twisting in opposite directions, not in a bad way; but think of a flat piece of paper and trying to twist it in opposite directions on either end. It doesn't feel bad, it just feels a lot different than what ive been used to for the past couple of years. Again, it doesnt feel like the car handles any worse, or feels unstable in a turn, and i don't think its actually twisting, just feels a lot different than what im used to..

With all that out of the way, I do think its going to make a big positive difference during drift events. Doing a little hooning on the streets, it feels a lot easier to get the back end to come out while using throttle and some weight transfer, before it felt as though I had to really whip the car around, where now a little turn and a slight flick with the wheels seems to get her tail happy. I have not been able to really HOLD a drift on the street so I cant comment on the stability there yet, but from the initial feeling i think it will be fine.

Might be something worth considering for the rest of you!

Im learning as I go, and next week im pretty excited to align and corner balance my car for the first time (Friend has all the scales/tools so were gonna learn ourselves a thing or 12)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
8686 (03-25-2016), CarzCarzCarz (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #994
Chillemall

Drives: Raven FRS
This picture makes me happy.