follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollibee86 View Post
If you're afraid of buying used lowering springs, might as well buy quality coilovers and install them yourself. Coilovers are easier to install than lowering springs because it doesn't require the disassembly of the struts. Anything the dealer says is a lie because that's what they do and how they make money. You bought a car that's made to be modified, don't be afraid to go the aftermarket route. Like the others said, the TRD wheels won't be a lot meatier than the stock. And for aesthetics they won't be flush with the wheel well and still look stock. For meatier tires you might want at least a 9.5s in the back to go with 255s or 265s
Thank you, I've been thinking about which upgrade path I want to take and I can't see myself doing anything less than:

-Coilovers (which means selling my lowering springs)
-17x9 wheels (whenever my stock tires are running out of tread, would then sell the old wheels)
-TRD body kit
-LED fog lights
-Magnaflow exhaust

My only concern with the coil-overs is, won't the dealership void my suspension warranty? Will they even check/care?
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Thank you, I've been thinking about which upgrade path I want to take and I can't see myself doing anything less than:

-Coilovers (which means selling my lowering springs)
-17x9 wheels (whenever my stock tires are running out of tread, would then sell the old wheels)
-TRD body kit
-LED fog lights
-Magnaflow exhaust

My only concern with the coil-overs is, won't the dealership void my suspension warranty? Will they even check/care?
Why would you want to switch from lowering spring to coil overs? If just looking to drop the car a bit the lowering springs are just effective as any coil over (they actually are a coil over). If you want more adjustment or to change the suspension dynamics then coil overs are the answer but there are no other benefits to them. Yes they could deny warranty (not void) if they feel that the coil overs or larger tires caused the issue. It is the risk you take when you start changing anything from the stock configuration though.
The 17 x 9 tire will change the whole feel of the car. As long as you understand that then all is good. Getting wheels that will fit is not difficult.
The body kit is great but expect to pay for it. They ain't cheap.
Fog lights and exhaust are about as basic as it gets and a piece of cake.

Oh, and none of these things are "upgrades" they are just changes. There is a give and take with every change you make so be sure that the results are what you truly want.
HachiRokuX (11-10-2017), Rakshaa (11-10-2017), why? (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #17
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Can't be said enough. Unless you want to track the car and spend the time figuring out exactly what each setting really does, coilovers are overkill.

If you are just a dd and want to go lower, lowering springs or air is the way to go.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (11-11-2017), olsonpg (11-11-2017), Tcoat (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #18
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Just another shitty stealer... stay away from them.

You can do all that for free ....if someone helps you

Just ask around for a reputable shop, everything you have can be done with around 400-500 in labor.........? It's just swaping the springs in + alignment.........you can put the wheel on yourself. >___>
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
HachiRokuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Why would you want to switch from lowering spring to coil overs? If just looking to drop the car a bit the lowering springs are just effective as any coil over (they actually are a coil over). If you want more adjustment or to change the suspension dynamics then coil overs are the answer but there are no other benefits to them. Yes they could deny warranty (not void) if they feel that the coil overs or larger tires caused the issue. It is the risk you take when you start changing anything from the stock configuration though.
The 17 x 9 tire will change the whole feel of the car. As long as you understand that then all is good. Getting wheels that will fit is not difficult.

Oh, and none of these things are "upgrades" they are just changes. There is a give and take with every change you make so be sure that the results are what you truly want.
Well coilovers would give more of a drop; the TRD springs are basically a 1 inch drop when I was thinking about 2 to completely close that wheel gap..

My hope is by going 17x9, I'll have much more grip at the limits. The stock tires just always want to slide out and it's annoying at this point.

Yep, the TRD body kit is expensive. It's $2500 with shipping for the full kit, and a lot of drilling..I actually think I would get tired of it in a few years and it would probably hurt resale value etc. might as well set $2500 on fire.

I can't believe that I'm agonizing over this still though. I don't want to make any stupid, expensive mistakes that I regret though. Thanks as always for your input, Tcoat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Can't be said enough. Unless you want to track the car and spend the time figuring out exactly what each setting really does, coilovers are overkill.

If you are just a dd and want to go lower, lowering springs or air is the way to go.
Thank you for this, I might just stick with the lowering springs. I was thinking about a 2-3" drop but I know I would scrape on everything..and the ride quality would definitely suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Just another shitty stealer... stay away from them.

You can do all that for free ....if someone helps you

Just ask around for a reputable shop, everything you have can be done with around 400-500 in labor.........? It's just swaping the springs in + alignment.........you can put the wheel on yourself. >___>
I just watched some videos and yeah, the exhaust, wheels and fog lights are straightforward. The only thing that I would probably mess up on is drilling the hole for the fog light button...
The Following User Says Thank You to HachiRokuX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #20
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Cheap coils also come with a slew of potential issues. I would go the springs route if I could go back.

With an 18 inch wheel and the right tire. You can close that wheel gap on springs to almost nothing.
HachiRokuX (11-15-2017), Tcoat (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
luxzje86

Drives: ABLAZE TOYOTA GT86 2017
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
any tires u recommend for that? im in the same boat, i'm on eibach sportlines and wanna get bit of less wheel gap. thanks
luxzje86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #22
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post

And would Yokohama ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R tires with a rear width of 255/35R18 go well with these wheels if I want more grip?
Tyre compound and quality far more NB than wider. Running wider tyres allows you to run softer compounds, rather than giving more grip just by being wider.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #23
HachiRokuX

Hey everyone, hope you guys are well and had a great Christmas. I finally made some changes to the car! It now has a Corsa exhaust (which sounds amazing) and I finally did get around to installing the lowering springs.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/c6188983dd6825b***60c50e5e7890bb.jpg[/IMG]

Looks much much better in my eyes as the wheel gap was genuinely bothering me a lot. One surprise is how smooth the ride is now, it’s extremely comfortable and I can tell the handling is a bit sharper as well.

I feel a bit..conflicted with the exhaust. On one hand it sounds amazing at any RPM, but on the other hand, it doesn’t really do much aside from make a lot of noise. It kinda makes the car sound like a “masked” 4 cylinder if that makes sense (the Corsa in particular makes it sound like it has a V6, imo), but you aren’t actually going any faster and you’re basically bringing some unwanted attention to yourself at times..

It does fill out the exhaust cutouts much better though, and paired with the lowering springs, makes the car look much better imo.

Next on the list are wheels. I have spent hours agonizing over which wheels I want to purchase but can’t decide on anything.

I’m still considering the 17” TRD forged wheels, the 18” TRD USA wheels, and a few sets of wheels from Rays. If I go Rays, importing wheels would be ridiculously expensive...like $2000 ish just for the wheels, not counting new tires. I’m extremely to spend that kind of money but the wheels look great.

What are some good sites to buy wheels at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Brzandt

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire rack.1010. Oakas I think it is has rpf1 and others on sale. Check the dealers marketplace on here.
Brzandt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brzandt For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (01-01-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #25
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
OP, what part of Florida are you in? We have an autocross event 1/6 And 1/7 in Lehigh Acres. (Fort Myers area) We have a Novice School on Saturday too if you are new to the sport. (Lots of seat time and one-on-one instruction)

Sorry to go off topic, but if you find that you like performance driving, the sport/class you chose will sort of dictate how you mod.

I got addicted to autocross *after* I had modified my 350Z into the deep end of the pool with just a differential.

If those are TRD springs you still fall into street class. (Basically stock class)
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (01-01-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
HachiRokuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
OP, what part of Florida are you in? We have an autocross event 1/6 And 1/7 in Lehigh Acres. (Fort Myers area) We have a Novice School on Saturday too if you are new to the sport. (Lots of seat time and one-on-one instruction)

Sorry to go off topic, but if you find that you like performance driving, the sport/class you chose will sort of dictate how you mod.

I got addicted to autocross *after* I had modified my 350Z into the deep end of the pool with just a differential.

If those are TRD springs you still fall into street class. (Basically stock class)
I'm in central Florida, roughly 3 hours away from Lehigh Acres but I do eventually want to do autocross. And yes, I have the TRD springs!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #27
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Im on trd lowering springs. And want to do rays 17x9 on 245/40 tires.
Will it rub in my stock suspension and hows the performance? Stock engine and not boosted. Will my frs get slower? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote