follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Have you had an issue with your Direct Injection System?
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 10 12.35%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 2 2.47%
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 31 38.27%
I have had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 3 3.70%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Subaru) 7 8.64%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Toyota) 14 17.28%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Subaru) 8 9.88%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Toyota) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #365
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
150 km/h is 93mph!
As explained, I was passing a car following a truck/trailer on a 2 lane road. I was cruising at the designated speed limit of 75mph (121kph) before and after.

If anyone thinks that's crazy, I live in West Texas. It's flat, there are no trees, and you can see the headlights of oncoming vehicles for 10 miles along this stretch of road.

From the logged APP, you can tell it hit when I let off the pedal.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #366
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipler View Post
As explained, I was passing a car following a truck/trailer on a 2 lane road. I was cruising at the designated speed limit of 75mph (121kph) before and after.

If anyone thinks that's crazy, I live in West Texas. It's flat, there are no trees, and you can see the headlights of oncoming vehicles for 10 miles along this stretch of road.

From the logged APP, you can tell it hit when I let off the pedal.
Looks like you had a misfire due to a coil pack. There are some reports of early build cars with coil pack issues due to heat. If your DI seals were bad, you would be getting misfires and popping sounds often. Does the car run normal now?
I used to drive a lot on those west Texas roads... The speed limits need to be higher! It gets real boring doing the speed limit out there..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #367
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
So if we have an OBDII scanner, can we identify what calibration ID we have?

I've got the Scangauge II
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #368
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
So if we have an OBDII scanner, can we identify what calibration ID we have?

I've got the Scangauge II

no you need techstream and a tactrix cable or knock-off cable

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #369
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It looks like the CalID was reported in the Torque Fault log - anyone know if/how we can just access the CalID in Torque without needing a fault log?
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #370
smbstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
It looks like the CalID was reported in the Torque Fault log - anyone know if/how we can just access the CalID in Torque without needing a fault log?
this.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #371
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm sorry if someone already posted this, but what's the new CalID? Mine was built in March 2013 so I'm wondering if I'm ok, right on the edge.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #372
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
I'm sorry if someone already posted this, but what's the new CalID? Mine was built in March 2013 so I'm wondering if I'm ok, right on the edge.
Make sure the 2nd to last digit is a "1", not a "0".

E.g. A01x, not A00x
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (09-11-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #373
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
so how many miles have you guys had when you experienced issues? i'm at 15k miles, the car is a DD, that has seen trackm auto-x, etc etc. besides an intake and catback the motor is stock...however the suspension is fully worked

i haven't had ANY cel, no missfires or rough idles, and i dont get any popping noises. anyway for me to see if i have a healthy fuel system before i go to a header and tune only to have to go back to stock?

-ivan
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #374
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Tried seeking info about this on another forum. Was directed here by a couple of people. Here is the deal...

Was talking to an FRS owner last night I saw at a gas station about his car, how he liked it etc. He acted like the car was nothing but a basket case, that SOA was worthless, that I've made a huge mistake in buying a BRZ etc. He directed me to this exact thread. So I spent several hours last night (using the search feature) and reading the related info.

He told me not only has his cricket problem never been fixed that he has CEL lights that randomly show up and has had the DI issues and Subaru doesn't want to fix anything on the car. He popped the hood, it was bone stock with 8k on it. I only had two test drives of two BRZ's to go off of but it DID seem a little louder than I remember the cars I test drove. Sounded odd, just rough sounding... He told me that if these cars are driven over 5k rpms it was going to ruin the motor. Oh and that basically Subaru is the worst company on earth to deal with as far as aftermarket parts and would void my warranty for ANY modification that were not OEM or Subaru approved parts.

I stopped him about the mods. I'm a mod guy and always do things to every car I own. I've had jeeps since I was 16, none have been stock. My current 06 TJ (last of the inline 6 cyl) had 28 miles on it when I got it home and removed every piece of the stock suspension, installed a intake system, installed two Optima red tops, winch bumper, etc. Ive been to a more than a few Jeep dealers and I have NEVER been denied warranty work based on modifications. Im am VERY familiar with the Magnuson Moss Act. I feel he was bs'ng a little on that side of the story but I don't know - this is my first Subaru product.

So WTF was this guy on about?

I take delivery tomorrow around noon/1pm. Before I sign anything should have them give me the version of the software the ECU has? I'm not sure of the build date. I was quoted $1000-1500 for the gold level extended warranty to 70k, should I get that even if I don't plan on keeping the car for more than 3 or 4 years?

I understand break in of new cars, I'm not going to stick a 100 shot of nawwzz on it and be stupid, I'm 32. If I wanted a fast car I would have got an STI - but I don't want to feel like I'm driving miss daisy either.

Is this just all getting out of hand, has ANYONE at Subaru responded about all these "problems", should I just drive the car and hope the f*** it doesn't blow up?

TIA for the info.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #375
smbstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
Tried seeking info about this on another forum. Was directed here by a couple of people. Here is the deal...

Was talking to an FRS owner last night I saw at a gas station about his car, how he liked it etc. He acted like the car was nothing but a basket case, that SOA was worthless, that I've made a huge mistake in buying a BRZ etc. He directed me to this exact thread. So I spent several hours last night (using the search feature) and reading the related info.

He told me not only has his cricket problem never been fixed that he has CEL lights that randomly show up and has had the DI issues and Subaru doesn't want to fix anything on the car. He popped the hood, it was bone stock with 8k on it. I only had two test drives of two BRZ's to go off of but it DID seem a little louder than I remember the cars I test drove. Sounded odd, just rough sounding... He told me that if these cars are driven over 5k rpms it was going to ruin the motor. Oh and that basically Subaru is the worst company on earth to deal with as far as aftermarket parts and would void my warranty for ANY modification that were not OEM or Subaru approved parts.

I stopped him about the mods. I'm a mod guy and always do things to every car I own. I've had jeeps since I was 16, none have been stock. My current 06 TJ (last of the inline 6 cyl) had 28 miles on it when I got it home and removed every piece of the stock suspension, installed a intake system, installed two Optima red tops, winch bumper, etc. Ive been to a more than a few Jeep dealers and I have NEVER been denied warranty work based on modifications. Im am VERY familiar with the Magnuson Moss Act. I feel he was bs'ng a little on that side of the story but I don't know - this is my first Subaru product.

So WTF was this guy on about?

I take delivery tomorrow around noon/1pm. Before I sign anything should have them give me the version of the software the ECU has? I'm not sure of the build date. I was quoted $1000-1500 for the gold level extended warranty to 70k, should I get that even if I don't plan on keeping the car for more than 3 or 4 years?

I understand break in of new cars, I'm not going to stick a 100 shot of nawwzz on it and be stupid, I'm 32. If I wanted a fast car I would have got an STI - but I don't want to feel like I'm driving miss daisy either.

Is this just all getting out of hand, has ANYONE at Subaru responded about all these "problems", should I just drive the car and hope the f*** it doesn't blow up?

TIA for the info.

How is this dude having so many issues with SOA as he is an FRS owner? Sounds like a troll.

For every 1 person like that, there are hundreds on here that have no issues and enjoy every minute in the car. A lot of the warranty issues are the attitude of the dealer you are working with and having service your car. Luckily mine is nothing but great to deal with (Mastro in Tampa). I had the crickets at 800 miles, but it wasn't a big deal and couldn't even hear it unless I was standing outside of it. Dealer fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #376
Bad Habits

This is what he told me -

He bought his FRS from a Subaru dealer, someone bought the FRS in GA moved to NC and the gf or wtf ever got knocked up so the guy traded for a Subaru SUV. He said he has been going thru the Subaru dealer where he bought it who he said is trying to work it out with Toyota. Thats the story he gave me, bs or not. What I can say for 100% the car sounded like ass when it left. I was on the opposite pump from him and he used premium so... Thats why I wanted to hear more info from guys on here as some of you have had these cars (FRS and BRZ) since day and it is the same car.

As stated I take delivery around noon tomorrow and wondered if I needed to have a tech throw a computer on it to see what version it has before I even leave the dealer. This way I have a baseline knowing exactly what is what from day 1. Or should I go pick up my deposit and skip buying a first gen car?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #377
smbstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
This is what he told me -

He bought his FRS from a Subaru dealer, someone bought the FRS in GA moved to NC and the gf or wtf ever got knocked up so the guy traded for a Subaru SUV. He said he has been going thru the Subaru dealer where he bought it who he said is trying to work it out with Toyota. Thats the story he gave me, bs or not. What I can say for 100% the car sounded like ass when it left. I was on the opposite pump from him and he used premium so... Thats why I wanted to hear more info from guys on here as some of you have had these cars (FRS and BRZ) since day and it is the same car.

As stated I take delivery around noon tomorrow and wondered if I needed to have a tech throw a computer on it to see what version it has before I even leave the dealer. This way I have a baseline knowing exactly what is what from day 1. Or should I go pick up my deposit and skip buying a first gen car?
Sounds like a BS story to me - Subaru wont do warranty work on an FRS.

Sure, it can't hurt, if the tech running to see what calibration ID it has makes you more comfortable with the purchase, go for it. Don't let a few stories you hear ruin your experience with the car.

I'm still thinking octane level seems to play a role in this issue - from looking on here it seems a lot of the DI issues are out on the west coast where they are running 91 octane vs. 93 octane.... but who knows, just a suspicion I have.

I'm at Sebring once a month and there are at least 5 BRZ's or FRS's, some there with thousands of track miles (and all running 93 octane or higher) and none of them have reported any DI issues or symptoms from talking to them.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #378
Bad Habits

It all sounded weird but to me so do most of the issues people are having with these two cars. Reading page after page of reviews where the worst thing wrong is the nav or the craptastic stereo. Then the crickets, no crickets, no crickets now but got crickets later, a couple of people have catastrophic shit the bed failures but its taken care of and then some. It was just that his car sounded like shit, like what has been described in this thread. The fact that so many people have modified these cars but I have read next to nothing about dealers giving them shit about it.

And I have no prob paying for premium. Had a Mazdaspeed 3, a Mazdaspeed Protege, a supercharged TRD Tacoma, etc all required 91+. My 2013 Tundra that will get a s/c when the warranty goes only gets 91+ and real non ethanol when I can get it. Hell I've got access to 100+ if I needed it lol, it doesn't hurt my friends family owns gas station.

Can't wait to get the car tomorrow. Clear bra went on Tues, 35% tint went on Wed and the dealer called today to let me know its inside the detail bay and will be cleaned in the morn and ready by noon. Will be ordering a small sub/amp combo and a CAI on Monday. Still researching exhaust. Thx for the info.

Tags
direct injector, engine, failure, meet regal's paranoia, poll, regal's witch hunt, regalnoia, seal, sealions, silly sausage