follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
lugao

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2015 BRZ Shark Fin Removal

Hello, I just would like to know how to remove the BRZ shark fin antenna. Has anyone done this? The reason I am asking is that I want to get my roof wrapped. I have tried looking and I saw the regular antenna removal and not the shark fin one. Thanks in advance!
lugao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugao View Post
Hello, I just would like to know how to remove the BRZ shark fin antenna. Has anyone done this? The reason I am asking is that I want to get my roof wrapped. I have tried looking and I saw the regular antenna removal and not the shark fin one. Thanks in advance!
I would assume with a plastic blade or fishing line to get the glue off. Kind of like taking a badge off
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
lugao

That is what I thought too but it seems like there is already a gap in between the antenna the roof. So that is why I want to know if anyone has a personal experience with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I would assume with a plastic blade or fishing line to get the glue off. Kind of like taking a badge off
Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
It is bolted from the inside. You have to remove the plastic window trim at the back of the headliner. Then you can either A. remove the side trim plastic and then pull down the headliner or B. carefully pull down the headliner and access the underside of the antenna. It will bend the headliner a little but not so much that I notice it. There are some how-to's on the forums to do this. Do a search in the audio section I believe.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
lugao

So it is just like the regular antenna removal and there is no adhesive holding on to the antenna itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
It is bolted from the inside. You have to remove the plastic window trim at the back of the headliner. Then you can either A. remove the side trim plastic and then pull down the headliner or B. carefully pull down the headliner and access the underside of the antenna. It will bend the headliner a little but not so much that I notice it. There are some how-to's on the forums to do this. Do a search in the audio section I believe.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=white64goat

It has a rubber o-ring type deal on the antenna base and there is a big nut that holds it to the roof which I loosened with vise grips. Just don't over-tighten it when you reinstall it. Above thread will tell you all you need to do it. The center plastic clip is deceiving in looks and you will try to pry the whole clip, when actually it is a 2 piece clip, just a little different than the usual ones they use. It does have a split, it's just hard to see. Use your fingernail to find the split in it.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
lugao

Cool, that is very helpful. I wanted to know first on how to remove it so that I can remove it before getting my roof wrapped. Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=white64goat

It has a rubber o-ring type deal on the antenna base and there is a big nut that holds it to the roof which I loosened with vise grips. Just don't over-tighten it when you reinstall it. Above thread will tell you all you need to do it. The center plastic clip is deceiving in looks and you will try to pry the whole clip, when actually it is a 2 piece clip, just a little different than the usual ones they use. It does have a split, it's just hard to see. Use your fingernail to find the split in it.