follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #71
JFox

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm ALMOST tempted to try upping the dose by 50% (1.5oz per 5 gallons). Not sure if it'll do any good. Even at that ratio, which if my math is correct, is 1:405...it's still minuscule.

Maybe a math wiz can correct my math if it's wrong:

1 oz per 5 gallons is 1:640 since there's 640oz in 5 gallons, and 1 oz of that is oil. Upping by half an ounce would bring the ratio down to 1:405...am I right?
JFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #72
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Your maths is close enough. That would be 1:427
1oz for every 4 gallons is almost exactly 1:500
I would give that a go and not go any richer. From everything i've read it's the sweet spot with nothing to be gained by adding more unless it's a diesel, where it's essentially fuel when it gets injected and can take more. Even so 1:200 is the sweet spot for diesels with little to be gained by adding more, which speaks volumes for the lubricating properties of 2 stroke oil.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #73
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
insignificant question probably, but when are you guys adding it, right before or after filling up? I read that somebody added this to gas in a clear can and they could see it all spiral down and sit on the bottom, how do we know were actually gunna get a good mix? i feel like when i get a whiff of that rotton egg smell that it was just a big chunk of oil for some reason haha
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #74
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
insignificant question probably, but when are you guys adding it, right before or after filling up? I read that somebody added this to gas in a clear can and they could see it all spiral down and sit on the bottom, how do we know were actually gunna get a good mix? i feel like when i get a whiff of that rotton egg smell that it was just a big chunk of oil for some reason haha
I add mine at the pump just before the fuel and carry a 1L container that's graduated at 100ml. I would assume you have quart bottles graduated at 2oz?

I read where someone added 2 stroke oil with a dropper and it instantly dispersed, as you would expect because that's what it's designed to do.
It's going to get shaken up on the road too.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #75
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Add the oil at the pump just before you fill. If you're only adding 2 or 3 ounces, most of it will still be in the filler neck as you start pumping gas. It will mix well as you pump 40-50 liters into the tank.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #76
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I did the 2 oz/10 gal ratio on my last tank of 91. Walmart Super Tech TC-W3. Echoing what others have said - my engine has never been this quiet. Crickets are minimal. If they're there, most of the time it's much quieter than it was before. The Subaru tractor-like idle is now the more prevalent engine noise.

I did the same ratio on E85, same results.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
edeekeos (06-17-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #77
schmearcampain

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's been a couple of months since I started using TC-W3 and so far so good. Some notes:

1) I started at 1:1000 ratio (50 ml for every 50L of gas) at that ratio the engine sounded better and the crickets were quieter, but still there.

2) I gradually upped it to 1 oz/5 gal (or 78 ml for every 50L) where I am to this day. Crickets eliminated almost entirely, but when they do show up, they're quieter than before.

3) Lately, I've been trying to be very accurate with my ratio and as a byproduct of having to measure the oil/fuel ratio, I stopped topping off the fuel tank. i.e. I'd estimate how much fuel I'd used and then calculate the proper oil amount to add before fueling up. This resulted in me not filling the tank all the way to the top and then topping off. I believe this has been a key element in basically eliminating the crickets altogether. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but perhaps overfilling the tank has a similar effect on the vapor pressure of the fuel as high ambient temperatures do?

4) I bought a graduated squeeze bottle to carry my oil in
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5139AG/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Vestil BTL-RC-8-LBL Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) Round Graduated Dispensing Bottle with Label and Red Cap, 8 oz Capacity, Translucent: Science Lab Dispensing Bottles: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

8 oz bottle, graduated with ounces and ml. Cap stays on tight, but I've never tipped it over and drove around with it lying on it's side. There's no mess when filling up either.

5) I haven't felt the car to be any peppier at all. Just much quieter and the idling is very stable, only occasionally dipping when I'm running the AC, which I believe is unavoidable.
schmearcampain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmearcampain For This Useful Post:
sierra (06-19-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #78
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmearcampain View Post
3) Lately, I've been trying to be very accurate with my ratio and as a byproduct of having to measure the oil/fuel ratio, I stopped topping off the fuel tank. i.e. I'd estimate how much fuel I'd used and then calculate the proper oil amount to add before fueling up. This resulted in me not filling the tank all the way to the top and then topping off. I believe this has been a key element in basically eliminating the crickets altogether. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but perhaps overfilling the tank has a similar effect on the vapor pressure of the fuel as high ambient temperatures do?
I don't think that's it. I have crickets all year long (I don't put any additives in my tank), and I never top off. You should never top off anyway. You can get liquid fuel in the vapor lines and saturate your EVAP canister. It may eventually set a check engine light.

I'm am a bit curious why several people in this thread are trying to be so careful about the ratio. If a couple oz. per tank works, why worry about it further?
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #79
w00t692

Drives: 2008 Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To me, and every time i've seen it be effective, it's ALWAYS been 1 ounce per 5 gallons.

so on this car what like 2.5 ounces or so? give or take.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #80
edeekeos

Drives: 2014 Pearl BRZ Limited
Garage
Almost through my first tank of e85 w/ 2oz of tcw3, and everything is GREAT! Car runs SOOO smooth, and is barely audible at idle. Cricket are hardly there even while running e85. Fuel trims, and AFR look good with tcw3 and e85, I'd say they play just fine together. I'll chime back in once I put a few tanks through. Hopefully if this stuff is as clean as what everyone is claiming, it will negate some of the dirty side effects of e85..

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #81
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It smoke when wot? Exhaust system start sign to be clogged?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #82
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Amsoil will be coming out with a product to prevent the bosche hpfp exploding in vw tdi's id use that when its available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #83
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Amsoil will be coming out with a product to prevent the bosche hpfp exploding in vw tdi's id use that when its available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
My engine is a VW TDI and i've never heard of a HPFP exploding but I do add 2 stroke oil at 1:200[just in case with ULSD] with no hint of smoke. In fact it's widely credited with reducing or stopping any smoke, halving emissions and particulate filter regenerations due to the better combustion.

Could you post the link to the Amsoil article?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #84
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Interesting...

I ran 2-stroke in an external reservoir with my RX-7 (so it wouldn't consume oil from the main sump) but I would never think to do it to a normal gasoline engine. (Rotaries need oil in the combustion area to lubricate the metal seals.) As far as the cricket noise is concerned, though, the high pressure fuel pumps can be replaced under a TSB at the dealer, eliminating the noise if it really bothers you. This is pretty cool; I'll hafta give it a solid read! They reported lower oil consumption which shouldn't affect you guys but my MR2 consumes it's fair share, so...
Me neither, just think of the havoc it will will reek on the plugs and on the catalytic converter. In the long term (even though I hate additives) I believe a product like Marvel Mystery Oil or something would work better.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote