follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #1205
Greacemonkey

Drives: dark grey Scion frs 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Do any front strut bars fit? Anyone looked into fabbing a curved one?
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/sub...lacement-pair/

Beside maybe some couple brass upgrade, I hardly see how to fit a strut bar.
Even if you try to make one that follow the back of the Sc, there s a lot stuff in the way. the hood is in the way for top mount too.
https://imgur.com/a/wDaMXpT

Last edited by Greacemonkey; 09-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Greacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #1206
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greacemonkey View Post
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/sub...lacement-pair/

Beside maybe some couple brass upgrade, I hardly see how to fit a strut bar.
Even if you try to make one that follow the back of the Sc, there s a lot stuff in the way. the hood is in the way for top mount too.
https://imgur.com/a/wDaMXpT
I was thinking curve it around the front sort of like the M4's curved strut bar but you're right it may be too tight with the hood and intake pipe. I should be installing my kit in about 2-3 weeks and will take another look then.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #1207
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you find that cold start are a bit less aggressive than before the mods?
Yes. It starts 'easier'. My guess is the Idle Air Control Valve is returned to the closed position upon restart and so the initial RPMs are lower. Previously, it would start and rev up quickly before settling down.

I like it better now. Seems easier on the engine to start and let the rpms build while oil pressure stabilizes.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #1208
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Running the kit for 400km now and everything run well so far. So happy with it! Do you find that cold start are a bit less aggressive than before the mods?
I also thinks that a reason why I don't feel much of a difference in some of the power band too is because the car was already modified before I put the SC (el Header, full straight exhaust and OFT), so hp increase was a bit less of a shock.
A thing I like too is the tune, my car do less random backfires than with the OFT (better AFR or timing maybe).
I have a concern about the coolant concentration, 25% of glycol is good for summer but what about winter? is there a reason why the ration is so low, is it just performance wise or 50/50 concentration would be hard on the hardware? I live in one of the coldest city in Canada during winter (outdoor temp can hit -40 to -50 degrees Celsius) and the car will be park outside. I would prefer to drain the system instead of putting coolant that would ware it.
the 25% glycol mix was selected to give the best cooling performance
however as you say if its really cold then yes it would be wise to switch to a 50/50 mix in winter
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
Greacemonkey (09-17-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #1209
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Yes. It starts 'easier'. My guess is the Idle Air Control Valve is returned to the closed position upon restart and so the initial RPMs are lower. Previously, it would start and rev up quickly before settling down.
There is no IACV. The IACV on a DBW car is the throttle plate

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
sly (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #1210
sly

I may have found the source of my EVAP codes. The brake vacuum booster hose had slid forward and was barely attached. The hose is almost too short and has constant tension against it. I'll look for a longer hose.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #1211
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
I may have found the source of my EVAP codes. The brake vacuum booster hose had slid forward and was barely attached. The hose is almost too short and has constant tension against it. I'll look for a longer hose.
I just added an elbow piece to mine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #1212
eMCee

Drives: GT86
Hi guys,

So i got a package last week ^_^

Big thanks for @Matt@Cosworth for replying for all my questions and superfast delivery.
Hoopefully i will find some time to get it installed until winter and crappy weather arrive for good.

Few pics

eMCee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eMCee For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (09-17-2018), Greacemonkey (09-17-2018), Seba (09-17-2018), sly (09-17-2018), weederr33 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #1213
Seba

Drives: BRZ Cosworth SC MY16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMCee View Post
Hi guys,

Big thanks for @Matt@Cosworth for replying for all my questions and superfast delivery.
Hoopefully i will find some time to get it installed until winter and crappy weather arrive for good.

Few pics

Witaj w klubie!
Welcome to the club !
Old 09-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #1214
Greacemonkey

Drives: dark grey Scion frs 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMCee View Post
Hi guys,

Few pics

The packing quality tells a lot too, I know its Cosworth but I was still quite impress. I need to give positive feedback to Rallysportdirect too for their excellent and fast service! Congrats on the purchase, you wont regret it.
Greacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greacemonkey For This Useful Post:
eMCee (09-18-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #1215
ocelot27

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited/Manual
Nameless failures...

Hi just wanted to post an update on the Cosworth Stage 2.3 parts at 30K miles.

Have gone through two Nameless cat backs - both developed severe cracking in the area of the resonator - the first one lasted about 6k miles, the second about 5k. The first one was replaced free of charge but i was unable to get any meaningful reply from either Nameless or Cosworth at the time of the second failure. I replaced the Nameless cat back with the Perrin one and so far all is good after about 10k miles - it's also not as obnoxiously loud - I understand some folks like that. The cat tube is hanging in there but about to be yanked and replaced with a resonated ceramic coated unit from JDL. It will go to recycling unless anyone wants to pay to have a used but functional Nameless cat tube with resonator shipped to them - I would ask nothing in return.

My coated Nameless headers were fine until about two months ago when a crack developed near one of the welds in the merge - this is about 20k miles total on the header - not bad I suppose but, considering a factory header would likely last the life of the car, not so good either. The other issue with the Nameless header (which is also featured in some other designs) is the unfortunate loop up into the engine bay just inches under the air duct - this effectively cooks the underside of the intake duct and raises intake temps significantly. When an intake duct in the area over the header is too hot to touch after driving around there is a design fault - why add heat to a system that depends on removing it? Wrapping the intake duct with thermal blanket helped but it's a poor design IMO.

Car is a daily driver and has never been tracked.

I'm replacing the Headers with the venerable ceramic coated Ace 350 unit on Friday and never looking back - this design resides entirely under the engine and, as many have seen, has some seriously well-documented figures in terms of performance on NA cars.

The rest of the system is fine and without fault - I still think Cosworth makes the best supercharging option for the BRZ/86 - too bad they are seemingly no longer available in the US. Not sure if Nameless is still making the exhaust parts either - I suggest anyone looking to pony up thousands for the Nameless parts think twice or if you see some on eBay keep looking. The Gates belt is also very hard to find in the US... but I was able to find one and replace it at the recommended 25k.

-john
Old 10-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #1216
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
I ran a standard gates belt with no issues. Available at Orilley's aito parts. I ran the aramid belt with the smaller pulley. Also available at Orilley's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #1217
sly

I've been running the axle back and midpipe exhaust (0.1 and 0.2) for over 20,000 miles now. No issues at all. I had some light surface rust on the exhaust tips and just polished them last weekend. They cleaned up perfectly. I picked up a spare complete exhaust (minus the header) off eBay for $400 in case I ever need it. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

I never drive my car in the snow. That's what the WRX is for. Maybe that makes a difference. So far I have had 0 reliability issues other than those caused by myself (loose hoses). I've been running almost 5,000 miles on the supercharger and everything is running great. Getting about 30mpg actual when calculated at the pump. Gauge says about 32-33 but it's actually 30. Good system. I predict it will be as reliable as OEM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #1218
sly

Just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Noticed right away that the ride was much smoother and quieter than the OEM Prius tires it came with. All the very slight vibrations in the steering wheel are gone but I can still get feedback from the road. The grip is much better and feels more predictable. These had good reviews on wet roads which I why I got them. So far they feel almost as grippy on a wet road as the old Prius tires felt on dry roads. A much needed upgrade if you are going to run a supercharger. I noticed that with these new tires, the car is much more nimble. It has a quicker turn in when hitting a curve. At first I had a tendency to over steer. But after getting used to it, it makes the car feel even lighter.

I also fixed a small fuel leak that I just discovered. Back when I upgraded the fuel pump, the sleeve gasket that wraps around the fuel basket must have gotten folded and I didn't realize it. When I tightened the fuel pump ring, it pinched the gasket and eventually put a small tear in it. I smelled gas one day after filling up the tank and noticed a few drops on the ground. Ordered a new gasket and a fuel tank spanner wrench to make the job easier. They recommend about 62 ft/lb of torque on the fuel pump ring and it's impossible to get it right by using a hammer and chisel like most people recommend. Found an adjustable spanner wrench for $20 and it worked and allowed me to get the torque right.

So with the ever so slight tear in my fuel pump gasket and the previous problem I had with my brake hose slipping off, I think I have fixed the EVAP leaks on this car. I don't smell gas in the slightest now and I filled up yesterday to be sure I still wasn't leaking.

Still no problems out of the supercharger. Feels better than OEM. No rev hang when shifting, idles completely smooth when the A/C is off. The idle still surges a little when the A/C cycles but that's probably to be expected with a 2.0L engine. Thanks @Matt@Cosworth for helping me sort through the EVAP problems. You put together an amazing kit. Now I find myself in a conundrum. Do I drive it and enjoy it or do I put it up in a garage, knowing how rare a Cosworth BRZ is going to be?
Attached Images

Last edited by sly; 10-14-2018 at 12:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
eMCee (10-15-2018), weederr33 (10-14-2018)