follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Drives: 1994 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
North American FR-S/BRZ Owners Club

How do we start this?

I'm thinking something similar to ITRCA.

Not a website, but a group.

-Once a year national meets at a racetrack
-Direct ties with the manufacturers for discounts on OEM maintenance parts, etc.
-Owners registry

-Hopefully eventually leading to an SCCA/NASA sanctioned auto group in time (thinking Spec Miata here)

How does this stuff start off? Who takes the first step?
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
This is kinda the direction I wanted to go with the TX2K thing for FT86Club, but like you, I wouldn't know where to start...

Probably starts from deep in the wallet....
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'll step up and be social coordinator. We can have the first meet in Flower Mound. I hear there's a guy that will let us play around in his Supras.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Well I'm one of the guys who runs ITRCA and ITRExpo so I'll help with parts of it.

We certainly lose money (we have no interest in profit, rather it's a support group for those of us who enjoy the car lol) but it's not like we lose a lot. We lose our web hosting expenses and legal expenses, but that's about it. The ITR Expo basically breaks even (by design).

This year the event is likely to be at Mid Ohio in August, I'll probably drive the BRZ instead of the ITR (going to Cedar Point and other stops afterwards, BRZ = no theft concerns/worries) in case anyone wants to come out for a fun track event
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Well I'm one of the guys who runs ITRCA and ITRExpo so I'll help with parts of it.

We certainly lose money (we have no interest in profit, rather it's a support group for those of us who enjoy the car lol) but it's not like we lose a lot. We lose our web hosting expenses and legal expenses, but that's about it. The ITR Expo basically breaks even (by design).

This year the event is likely to be at Mid Ohio in August, I'll probably drive the BRZ instead of the ITR (going to Cedar Point and other stops afterwards, BRZ = no theft concerns/worries) in case anyone wants to come out for a fun track event
If I own one at the time I'll be there as well. It may be a great place to organize the first event, and get the real followers out there and see who really puts in the time to come to such an event.

Maybe we can work with the ITRExpo guys and see how it was formed at the early stages in the late ninties. I would certainly want to avoid stepping on any toes or overlapping such a great community.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambbrose View Post
If I own one at the time I'll be there as well. It may be a great place to organize the first event, and get the real followers out there and see who really puts in the time to come to such an event.

Maybe we can work with the ITRExpo guys and see how it was formed at the early stages in the late ninties. I would certainly want to avoid stepping on any toes or overlapping such a great community.
You won't step on any toes. Half of us are involved with other events anyways. There have been at least 2 events that I know of that have used us as a base for how they run their events.

Expo was initially formed kind of as a joke on NSXpo and it lost a huge amount of money (5 figures). After that it was moved from the West Coast and has done well since. I've been involved since 2003 (which was probably the biggest year, Mugen brought some cars out and flew staff from Japan to the event, we had about $23,000 in raffle prices for the banquet, the largest overall turnout, etc).

The one thing I will say is not to bother with the West Coast. We've tried to bring Expo out there many times and it never gets supported. 50% of the registrants will be from the east coast of the US. I'd love to see a successful car specific track event out there as I'd love to drive across the country, track the car for a few days, then take a nice drive up the PCH and back through the mountains, etc. I have no qualms about doing a 7,000 mile road trip.

That is assuming you intend to have a track event. If you plan on a car show, the WC should easily support that. Different cultures in my experience.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I wanna come play! Mid-Ohio is only about 2.5 hrs from me, and It's a great track, I did a track day there once.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Sounds pretty awesome, let me know if I can help in any way I've always wanted to be part of something like this... something BIG and fun and Auto related!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am also very interested in this. I would love to have a support group to enable my addiction. Gotta love 12 step programs where all the steps are in the wrong direction.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Quote:
You won't step on any toes. Half of us are involved with other events anyways. There have been at least 2 events that I know of that have used us as a base for how they run their events.

Expo was initially formed kind of as a joke on NSXpo and it lost a huge amount of money (5 figures). After that it was moved from the West Coast and has done well since. I've been involved since 2003 (which was probably the biggest year, Mugen brought some cars out and flew staff from Japan to the event, we had about $23,000 in raffle prices for the banquet, the largest overall turnout, etc).

The one thing I will say is not to bother with the West Coast. We've tried to bring Expo out there many times and it never gets supported. 50% of the registrants will be from the east coast of the US. I'd love to see a successful car specific track event out there as I'd love to drive across the country, track the car for a few days, then take a nice drive up the PCH and back through the mountains, etc. I have no qualms about doing a 7,000 mile road trip.

That is assuming you intend to have a track event. If you plan on a car show, the WC should easily support that. Different cultures in my experience.

Thanks for the great info Dave!

Do you know if ITRCA is a legal non-profit entity? How do you garner that professional image enough to present yourself to manufactures, etc for sponsorship.

What are the going rates for a weekend at the track dedicated to your group specifically?

We can call it "NABFOC" Seriously though, this damn dual manufacturer thing is annoying.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
^^^ I agree, we should just start referring to the BRZ/FR-S as the AS1.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I thought it was ZC6 and ZN6? o.o

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
I'll step up and be social coordinator. We can have the first meet in Flower Mound. I hear there's a guy that will let us play around in his Supras.
Really?!?!?

I would love to meet him!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
I thought it was ZC6 and ZN6? o.o
And yeah, it is. Apparently AS1 was not official... T__T

We can call it ZN6ZC6FT86BRZFRSOC!

Edit: I just realized that if we kept AS1, we could call it NAAS1OC. That'll get the Nasioc guys pissed!!

Last edited by Guff; 02-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.