follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #29
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i love to get stuff on ebay but not load bearing parts like wheel studs man. if those break you lose a wheel and flip the car. always go name brand on important stuff.i ran touge factory studs on my s14 they were good
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ichiba sells 40mm and 50mm longer wheels studs. According to a response from IchibaUSA, the 50mm studs are the ones included in the 10mm spacer kit. You can buy the studs individually so I ordered a spare of each size.

I just ordered a 10mm spacer kit for the rear and will add the 40mm studs to the front.

IchibaUSA's website is a little fuzzy on the actual length of the 40mm studs, one sections says 40mm another says 35mm.

Ordered the parts through one of the forum vendors b2autodesigns.com much cheaper than direct with IchibaUSA.

I'll post details when they arrive.

I like ARP stuff, but 3"(76mm) long studs are a bit longer than I want.
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
bpracer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
Ichiba sells 40mm and 50mm longer wheels studs. According to a response from IchibaUSA, the 50mm studs are the ones included in the 10mm spacer kit. You can buy the studs individually so I ordered a spare of each size.

I just ordered a 10mm spacer kit for the rear and will add the 40mm studs to the front.

IchibaUSA's website is a little fuzzy on the actual length of the 40mm studs, one sections says 40mm another says 35mm.

Ordered the parts through one of the forum vendors b2autodesigns.com much cheaper than direct with IchibaUSA.

I'll post details when they arrive.

I like ARP stuff, but 3"(76mm) long studs are a bit longer than I want.
Ah crap! IchibaUSA was not correct when they told me the 10mm spacer kit had 50mm studs. The kit includes 40mm studs.

Anyway, the 40mm and 50mm lengths are the actual thread length and don't include the spline area under the head of the stud. For my setup it looks like the 40mm up front and 50mm (w/spacer) out back would have 3mm worth of stud sticking out from the short lugnuts I'm using.

BTW, there was already some corrosion on a couple of the stock studs with the stock closed lug nuts.
Ducati 848
The Following User Says Thank You to bpracer For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-08-2014)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #32
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
any safety concern tracking the snot of a 10mm spacer setup? 15? 20? lets assume the ARO studs are a given. I mean getting silly, almost abusive?
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
any safety concern tracking the snot of a 10mm spacer setup? 15? 20? lets assume the ARO studs are a given. I mean getting silly, almost abusive?
Are you planning to run aftermarket brakes and having clearance issues? Just curious why one would run spacers on a track car.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #34
bpracer

Garage
I have spacers on the the front of my 65 Mustang race car. One does not have the luxury of the exact backspacing on these cars as there are out there for new cars. I have had different brake rotor setups, stock hubs with hats, one piece hubs/rotors, etc, etc. Kinda' expensive to get new wheels every time when you have 10 wheels for the car.

With proper studs, and proper torque there will be no problem. Some of my spacer are 1/8" thick, some are 1/2". You gotta do, what you gotta do.
Ducati 848
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
I have been running 10mm hub centric spacers on my SpecE30 (came with my Kosei K1s from Tire Rack) for 3 years now including about 20 track weekends. I have had zero issues with them.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
hypermax

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
I installed aftermarket wheel studs and spacers to give me +38mm in the rear. I don't want to run staggered, but I like the look of staggered. Anyways I used a kit very similar to this one:

Ebay link

Well after a week I went to retorque my studs just to be safe and a single stud was spinning in the hub. Shit. Either it was broken or the worst nightmare, it rounded off the hub.

Well these cheap chinese studs were not made up to spec and were a hair smaller than the stock ones. I ended up getting two sets of ARP extended studs and they went in without a hitch.

I was able to bang out the shitty ebay studs with a tiny hammer and almost zero force. I probably could have got them out with my bare hands. The ARP studs would take a sledge hammer to remove.

So don't do something stupid and just use no name wheel studs. This is mostly my fault so I wanted to make sure no one runs into this problem as well.
Project Kics, this is the wheel spacers or lug pattern conversion spacers you should go for. Made in Japan, Quality!!!
hypermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
bpracer

Garage
You can get some stud length info and issues I ran in to changing out the rear studs to install a 10mm spacer in this DYI post. It didn't go so well. I just updated the second attempt that involves removing the hub.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=30

I don't like the bolt on spacers, as aluminum is holding the additional studs in place, not a steel hub.

The Ichiba studs are no good in my opinion. They don't have enough bite in to the hub. The Vorshlag studs work much better.

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=66_271_274
Ducati 848

Last edited by bpracer; 12-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #38
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Warning to All!

I installed the Ichiba V1 10mm spacer set (SU-50910) with Ichibia 50mm studs (SU-122550), and had to spend a day drilling two of the studs out because their knurl stripped in the hub slot. They stripped when I was torquing the lugs down with the lug wrench using moderate force. The first one slipped then caught, thinking it was just friction on wheel I proceed with the others and then another one slipped much more...leaving me in an "oh crap" moment.

ICHIBA Extended Wheel Stud 50MM SUBARU
http://www.ichibausa.com/ProductDeta...Code=SU-122550

Not only did I have to fight drilling them out, but I scratched my wheel a little, I trashed two studs/lugs, had to purchase replacements, and spent $30 on a set of Rigid Cobalt drill bits. Needless to say this experience has been frustrating, and left me questioning my obsession with always trying to improve my cars function/form (in all seriousness, I'm probably incurable).

I recall reading the stock studs have a knurl diameter of 14.35mm. It's not clear what the knurl diameter of the Ichiba's are, but there's no way they are the 14.30 I've seen them advertised on vendor sites. So in my searching, it seems there are three choices of wheel studs for our cars.

ARP
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/arp-...studs-979.html

Vorshlag

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=473

Eibach
http://eibach.com/sites/devperforman..._bolt_list.pdf

Anyone have experience with the Eibach studs? They have a good selection of lengths.
The Following User Says Thank You to mwjcyber For This Useful Post:
NissanGuy (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #39
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjcyber View Post
Warning to All!

I installed the Ichiba V1 10mm spacer set (SU-50910) with Ichibia 50mm studs (SU-122550), and had to spend a day drilling two of the studs out because their knurl stripped in the hub slot. They stripped when I was torquing the lugs down with the lug wrench using moderate force. The first one slipped then caught, thinking it was just friction on wheel I proceed with the others and then another one slipped much more...leaving me in an "oh crap" moment.

ICHIBA Extended Wheel Stud 50MM SUBARU
http://www.ichibausa.com/ProductDeta...Code=SU-122550

Not only did I have to fight drilling them out, but I scratched my wheel a little, I trashed two studs/lugs, had to purchase replacements, and spent $30 on a set of Rigid Cobalt drill bits. Needless to say this experience has been frustrating, and left me questioning my obsession with always trying to improve my cars function/form (in all seriousness, I'm probably incurable).

I recall reading the stock studs have a knurl diameter of 14.35mm. It's not clear what the knurl diameter of the Ichiba's are, but there's no way they are the 14.30 I've seen them advertised on vendor sites. So in my searching, it seems there are three choices of wheel studs for our cars.

ARP
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/arp-...studs-979.html

Vorshlag

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=473

Eibach
http://eibach.com/sites/devperforman..._bolt_list.pdf

Anyone have experience with the Eibach studs? They have a good selection of lengths.
Mild thread resurrection:

Just fitted some 20mm V1 Ichiba spacers, the included studs are 5mm too short! The fitment with spacer looks great so I don't want to go with a smaller spacer, looks like those Vorshlag are exactly the right length for me. Excellent.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #40
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy View Post
Mild thread resurrection:

Just fitted some 20mm V1 Ichiba spacers, the included studs are 5mm too short! The fitment with spacer looks great so I don't want to go with a smaller spacer, looks like those Vorshlag are exactly the right length for me. Excellent.
Good choice NissanGuy. I went with the Vorshlag studs and their build quality and fitment are amazing. Highly recommended.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #41
bryan767

Drives: 13' AVO Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just posting because this happened to me. The Ichiba 10mm studs stripped 3 of my stud holes on the hub.

Ichibas studs look nice, and are made of good metal but they ARE a smaller diameter than stock. I found this out the hard way after getting everything back on the wheel, and tightening the lugs when the stud started spinning. Luckily I was able to reseat the stock studs and put my stock wheels on.

Do yourself a favor and order ARP extended studs
bryan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #42
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hi Guys,

I may need a thicker spacers up front, which will require me to replace stock studs. I can purchase it online, but searched if any local store carries any longer studs. Does anyone know of the stock stud length? I found this
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote