follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
ShadowWolf_99
Member
 
ShadowWolf_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 10 Series #895
Location: Washington State
Posts: 77
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Release/Winjet series headlight mod

So I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to swap out the leds on the drl strip. I don't know if it's possible but I plan on making all the leds RGB and hooking up to a controller as well as putting in halos. That way I have halos on with leds for running lights and turn signals. I want to make them strobe sequentially across the leds yellow and flash the halos yellow. Then while parked or at a meet I can make them all dance. Does anyone know if this is possible. Is access to the leds themselves easy to get to in order to replace. I got soldering skills so no worries there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
PDX86 / 86 Sessions / 86Squad / DarkSquad
ShadowWolf_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
MemphisR
Memphis
 
MemphisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Location: Langley, B.C.
Posts: 551
Thanks: 264
Thanked 97 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
There are some kits you can buy I believe. You can also just buy a rgb strip and put in into the headlights
__________________
"It's ok... It's not structural."- Mikey
MemphisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
8RZ
The Gunshine State
 
8RZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 631
Thanked 1,162 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I believe Diode Dynamics sells a kit like that.
__________________

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
ShadowWolf_99
Member
 
ShadowWolf_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 10 Series #895
Location: Washington State
Posts: 77
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If you find a link please post it. Im a workin

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
PDX86 / 86 Sessions / 86Squad / DarkSquad
ShadowWolf_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN
Senior Member
 
FRSBRZGT86FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2015 FR-S AT, 2019 CX-5
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,170
Thanks: 3,026
Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,360 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf_99 View Post
So I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to swap out the leds on the drl strip. I don't know if it's possible but I plan on making all the leds RGB and hooking up to a controller as well as putting in halos. That way I have halos on with leds for running lights and turn signals. I want to make them strobe sequentially across the leds yellow and flash the halos yellow. Then while parked or at a meet I can make them all dance. Does anyone know if this is possible. Is access to the leds themselves easy to get to in order to replace. I got soldering skills so no worries there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
There are some kits you can buy I believe. You can also just buy a rgb strip and put in into the headlights
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
I believe Diode Dynamics sells a kit like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf_99 View Post
If you find a link please post it. Im a workin

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's a difference between the winjets and the Release series, you are referring to the release series which is completely different than the winjets. The winjets you'd have to bake open and do some soldering too. The release series is the OEM JDM type headlights with internal ballasts for the HIDs fully wired and adapted for LHD in the use. Diode Dynamics only sells a DRL always on kit for them:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/always...cion-fr-s.html

and a halo kit for the stock headlights:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/hd-led...fr-s-pair.html

Cutting open and ruining a pair of release series headlights is kind of blasphemy you'd be better off selling them for $900+ and modding winjets or spyders.
__________________
OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
ShadowWolf_99
Member
 
ShadowWolf_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 10 Series #895
Location: Washington State
Posts: 77
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
There's a difference between the winjets and the Release series, you are referring to the release series which is completely different than the winjets. The winjets you'd have to bake open and do some soldering too. The release series is the OEM JDM type headlights with internal ballasts for the HIDs fully wired and adapted for LHD in the use. Diode Dynamics only sells a DRL always on kit for them:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/always...cion-fr-s.html

and a halo kit for the stock headlights:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/hd-led...fr-s-pair.html

Cutting open and ruining a pair of release series headlights is kind of blasphemy you'd be better off selling them for $900+ and modding winjets or spyders.

WOW $900+ Sheeeeeet. I may run with that. I could sell them and fund new ones with all the bells and whistles.
__________________
PDX86 / 86 Sessions / 86Squad / DarkSquad
ShadowWolf_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
MemphisR
Memphis
 
MemphisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Location: Langley, B.C.
Posts: 551
Thanks: 264
Thanked 97 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
lCutting open and ruining a pair of release series headlights is kind of blasphemy you'd be better off selling them for $900+ and modding winjets or spyders.
I would tend to disagree with you on this.

I have seen several people mod the release series/gt86 lights. The quality of the stock ones are obviously better than the Winjets. So some people would rather spend some money and not buy reps, or just want the reliability of the stock ones. I know that the leaking issues can be traced back to the experience of each person, but I have heard of many winjets that have leaked from new and never heard of stock lights leaking.

Any way, that's just my two cents on that.

-MemphisR
__________________
"It's ok... It's not structural."- Mikey
MemphisR is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winjet right headlight zman Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 9 12-20-2016 02:45 PM
Winjet headlight HID JayBoii Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 3 12-24-2014 09:45 AM
WTT: Winjet Black Headlight for Winjet chrome dezmoondo Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 0 04-13-2014 03:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.