follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #2311
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg1978 View Post
Hey all,

I bought my 2016 BRZ limited useds with about 22k miles about two months ago. I have wanted a BRZ/FR-S/86 pretty much ever since they first came out. Being my first stick car it has been an interesting experience, but it seems to be pretty forgiving for a stick shift transmission and haven't stalled it too much .
Welcome to the Manual Transmission (MT) master race.
Rule 1: You must show disdain for any and all Automatic Transmission (AT) plebians.
Rule 2: You must at all times be vigilant for AT plebians suggesting that AT might not be inferior to MT, and immediately crush their souls into dust.
Rule 3: You must take every opportunity to express the superiority of the MT and all associated elements and skills.

Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #2312
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Rule 1: You must show disdain for any and all Automatic Transmission (AT) plebians.
Rule 2: You must at all times be vigilant for AT plebians suggesting that AT might not be inferior to MT, and immediately crush their souls into dust.
Rule 3: You must take every opportunity to express the superiority of the MT and all associated elements and skills.

Why US killed manual transmission in place of automatic transmission? I always wanted to drive MT in US, but there were no good cars and I found BRZ an awesome fun car to drive. When I drive over 90 MPH, I feel like I am driving 60 MPH - I am watching cops on freeways all the time (average driving speed is about 85 MPH everyday on 60 MPH speed limit)
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #2313
mike_pacis

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
2015 Limited 6MT

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike. I'm from the south suburbs of Chicago. I have a new to me (and my son) 2015 Limited 6MT in Ice Silver Metallic with 25K miles. I mainly bought this car for my son to drive. I felt it was the right car for him. Not too much power but handled well. He wanted an STi but it was too much. I also like that fact that this car provides a nice foundation where my son and I can bond while modding the car together.

I'm not new to the Subaru scene. I had an '05 Forester XT. The one thing I loved most about that car was that most '04 STi parts bolted right on. I had quite a few STi parts on that car. The only thing I did not get around to doing was a turbo and intercooler swap. I miss that car very much.

The day we brought home the BRZ the modding bug bit once again. I've started some small cosmetic changes. I plan on on doing the usual...wheels, springs, exhaust, and eventually headers and a tune.

I'm looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum.

Thanks for reading. Here's a couple pictures...
Attached Images

mike_pacis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike_pacis For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (06-28-2019), Spuds (06-28-2019), Tcoat (07-19-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #2314
gg1978

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post

So would i have to crush my own soul into dust, because I still have my old car, which is an automatic???

Although even when driving the automatic car, i still sometimes manually downshift it using the gear selector. Given it's a 2009 Cobalt LT with the 2.2, at 191k miles it still seems to have plenty of life left in it, but having the BRZ as the primary car it feels like driving a Cadillac suspension/steering wise compared to the BRZ.. And the Cobalt can be the primary winter car, at least when there is snow and ice on the roads..
gg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gg1978 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-28-2019), Tcoat (07-19-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #2315
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg1978 View Post
So would i have to crush my own soul into dust, because I still have my old car, which is an automatic???

Although even when driving the automatic car, i still sometimes manually downshift it using the gear selector. Given it's a 2009 Cobalt LT with the 2.2, at 191k miles it still seems to have plenty of life left in it, but having the BRZ as the primary car it feels like driving a Cadillac suspension/steering wise compared to the BRZ.. And the Cobalt can be the primary winter car, at least when there is snow and ice on the roads..
Only if you start to think that you would rather be driving an AT. You must then crush that part of your soul into dust. It's fine to drive AT as long as it is acknowledged as inferior.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #2316
aoVI

Drives: 2019 CWP MT BRZ Ltd
Hello!

I have used this forum as a great resource when I was researching. Thank you to everyone who contributes to the library of knowledge contained here.

I joined a few weeks back when it looked like the BRZ was in my future, but held off posting until it was a reality.

My car history is not large--I tend to drive a car well into the 200K zone, so in my 40 years of driving I have only owned 6 cars. All were still running when I traded in or sold.

1971 VW Type III Fastback - White - 250K

1983 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - Blue - 300K
1991 Honda Civic Si Hatchback - Black - 300K
2004 Toyota Celica - Black - 200K

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo - Blue - 58K
2019 Subaru Brz LTD - White - 0K so far...

I'm from the Gulf Coast of Alabama, right next to the Florida line, between Pensacola and Mobile.

Looking forward to becoming a part of this community!

aoVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aoVI For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (07-15-2019), Feistyfrog (07-14-2019), p1l0t (10-02-2019), Tcoat (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #2317
Devildicer

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Smile New excited owner!

Hi everyone

I'm located in Winnipeg, Canada and I am the proud new owner of a 2018 BRZ in WR Blue with 11k on the odometer.
No mods .... yet.

I'm in my 40s and this has been on my radar for a while. Since I was 18 really!
Let me explain.

When I was 18 and buying my first car I saw Corolla GTS at my local Toyota dealership. Unfortunately it was out of reach financially. I responsibly purchased a Tercel and have kept to that same theme throughout my life until now.

Car history:

1980 Toyota Tercel in beige (chick magnet)
1986 Dodge Colt GTS Turbo
1984 Honda Prelude
1990 Plymouth Neon Expresso
2000 Ford Focus ZX3
2013 Suzuki Kizashi

Thanks to everyone hear as this has and will continue to be an excellent resource.

Posting obligatory first pic:

https://imgur.com/eWD0v4Q
Devildicer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Devildicer For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-19-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #2318
Inazuma

Drives: BRZ yellow edition 2017
Hi evreyone,
I'm also in Canada. I've had the Yellow edition (called Inazuma here)for two years now and am using it on the track and as a daily driver. I store it in the winter.
Mods made until now : Cusco sway and strut bars both front and rear. KW coilovers V3 with Raceseng camber plates, 3 inch full exhaust line with magnaflow muffler and Yokohama RZ II racing wheels in 17x8 with Pirelli trofeo R 225-45-17 (tried 235-40-17 too), DTC-60 brake pads and stainless steel braided brake lines.

Coming up : Raceseng lightweight pulleys, Cosworth supercharger, Blitzkreig air intake and 2 sweet touches : drambeenie spoiler risers color match and raceseng custom shift knob (spherology) and R-Lock color match yellow.
Expecting the parts in the next few weeks.
Lots of fun installing them in the winter... and a huge difference in power for next spring

For those interested I'm 61 YO! Still have the fire for this kind of fun.

Previous cars of interest : 280 ZX, Mazda 323 GT and 626 sport edition, Golf 337, GTI and R. Unfortunately had to go through a minivan period (4 kids).
Inazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazuma For This Useful Post:
Guru Woodman (07-27-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:35 AM   #2319
swbrz

Drives: 2019 BRZ PP DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrz View Post
On May 3, I ordered a 2019 BRZ Limited, DGM, Performance Package, STI Short Throw Shifter, & Homelink mirror. Delivery expected mid-late July.

Almost purchased a new Miata Club but fate and insane dealers stopped that. Two recent separate test rides on a left-over 2018 BRZ with PP convinced me. Only tough decision was the short throw. Previously I had a test ride on a 2017 STI with the short throw and a 2018 STI without. The 2017 STI shifted better and I since I wanted to stick with factory, the STI short throw was ordered. I have read enough reviews about how much 'better' BrandX is, but the STI version will be fine with me.

I thought about delaying the purchase until the 2020 is announced/available but I liked that 2018 BRZ that I test drove and who knows what 'improvements' will be there in the future.

So just waiting and waiting and waiting...
Finally - it arrived today! Brand new and I put on 55 backroad miles. Too exhausted/excited from new car delivery procedures to do any more.
Attached Images

Last edited by swbrz; 08-01-2019 at 02:26 AM.
swbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swbrz For This Useful Post:
Guru Woodman (08-01-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #2320
Rach-82

Drives: 2020 Hakone 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Talking

Hi, I'm Rachel. I live just a bit north of Seattle. I don't own a BRZ/86 yet, but I've wanted one since they were introduced.

I'm still driving the Scion tC I bought brand new back in 2005. That car was a great investment. I've had almost ZERO issues with it. Just keep oil in it, and it seems like it'll last forever. It's also nice that I don't hate driving it. Still, the allure of the BRZ is ever present.

I may soon be positioned to finally get into a BRZ, so I've been lurking here and doing my pre-shopping research. As I posted last night in my first post , I'm noticing a distinct lack of inventory in this part of the country. I guess I'm going to have to plan a fly/drive trip or hurry up and wait!

Meanwhile, I'll live vicariously through all of you. You all have such cool rides!
Rach-82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #2321
jredders

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Garage
Hi everyone,

I'm John and I live in Marion, IA. I just picked up a 2017 BRZ Limited with Performance Package this weekend.

My first kid will be able to get their license in September, so I was either going to buy them a beater or buy something "new" for myself and play the old car shuffle. Obviously I decided on the latter:
BRZ -> Me
2017 Honda Civic EX-T CVT -> Wife
2011 Chevy Equinox -> kid

Past cars:
1981 Ford Mustang Manual (yes, the one with the 88 hp 2.3 L Pinto inline-four)
19?? Mercury Topaz Automatic (hand-me down from my dad)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo T-bar Manual (First car I bought myself. Used in 1997.)
199? Dodge Avenger (Wife's car. POS)
2000 Nissan Xterra V6 Automatic (Wife's car)
2002 Subaru WRX Manual
2013 Ford Focus with dual-clutch automatic nightmare (Inherited this POS)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T CVT (Almost bought a BRZ, but a true 4-seater was more practical)

So far, I love driving it, but boy do I miss the Android Auto interface from the Civic.
jredders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jredders For This Useful Post:
aoVI (08-14-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 03:25 AM   #2322
thewub

Drives: BRZ
New to me - 15 BRZ

Hey 86er's,

I've been lurking these forums for a few months now since owning my new to me BRZ, so I think it's time to share. I picked up a 2015 CWP BRZ that was modded to some degree by the previous owner that, after doing lots of research here, seems to be on the right track in making the BRZ feel more alive.

Here are the mods to the best of my knowledge:
Open Flash tablet
Enkei RPF-1's
Tomei UEL
Apexi coilovers (though much too stiff and low when i had first got the car)
Valenti taillights
Front lip/side skirts/rear apron things

Also just did the first engine oil/diff oil/transmission oil change since owning the car since it just hit 30k.

Some of the previous cars I've driven include a 04 STI, 03 E46 M3, Fiat 500E, and VW e-Golf. I still drive an 6-speed 08 135i as well.

Looking forward to learning more about this platform and having a lot of fun with the BRZ.

Without further ado, here are some pics :

Last edited by thewub; 08-28-2019 at 07:00 PM.
thewub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thewub For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-27-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #2323
miraipanda

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS #239/500, 2nd owner
Hi, my name is Andrew and I’m new here and to the BRZ family. I actually just purchased it yesterday and funny thing is, the previous owner of the car worked at the dealership and I heard the story of why he was selling his BRZ tS and he told me to join the forums (by reading threads, I’m pretty sure that user is Veloist).

Anyway, my story is that since high school I’ve always wanted a Subaru WRX because my astronomy teacher told us that Subaru translated into English was Pleiades and they used the constellation as the logo. I was into Japanese at the time (it ended up being my major) and my astronomy teacher was cool. In fact, one of my favorite anime at the time was Initial D so obviously there’s a connection between that and my interest in cars.I wasn’t able to afford any car on my own during high school and just borrowed my parents cars up until now. Fast forward 10ish years, I have a stable dream job and I decided to cement my future more by buying my dream car. However cars changed a lot since I was last interested and when I heard the 86/BRZ twins were the spiritual successor to the AE86, my goal shifted to owning a BRZ. I’ve been looking into cars for the past month, always looking at deals/ads, and one caught my attention: a barley used white BRZ tS being sold at near same price as a new 2019 model. Being a fan of limited edition stuff, I eyed that deal for a couple of weeks and the day before yesterday, I had a feeling I should call the dealership to ask why the car wasn’t sold yet. The salesperson said people were interested and someone was about to get it but needed a cosigner and he said if I wanted to have a chance at purchasing it, come in the next day. Yesterday I came in, failed miserably at test driving it (I just learned how to drive manual transmission on Sunday), and before I knew it I was signing credit checks and selling my 2008 Honda Civic to get my dream car.

I’m still really new to the auto scene and driving manual in general — I’ve had huge anxiety attacks while driving on public roads while going home or driving to work. I’m trying to practice with my new car every early morning before work just to get a feel of it. My goal at the moment is to take care of the car as much as Dominic babied it; no plans on modifying it, not really pushing it hard, but needs to be a daily driver so the mileage is gonna go up from the 1324 miles I got it in. Eventually when I can afford it, I’ll make the BRZ my project car in the future while I get a more practical daily driver lol. Until then, I’ll just tick off the bucket list I bought my dream car and hopefully get involved with the 86/BRZ family once I get more acquainted with it. Hope to see some NorCal peeps soon!
miraipanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 AM   #2324
BlankHugs

Drives: '13 brz limited
sup yall. i just bought a a used '13 brz limited with 63k miles on it, last week and decided to join the forums. been eyein' this car ever since the concept idea was brought up and then wanted it even more when it actually was in production. but couldnt really afford it in my budget at the time, and now i have a decent payin' job that i can afford it now.

BlankHugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlankHugs For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-27-2019)