follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #155
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
D
U
M
B

I Survived. There is no curse.

Just shitty drivers and shitty decision makers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #156
Victorscp

Drives: 2018 BRZ premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i hit 1000 miles today in the rain and did not crash
Victorscp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victorscp For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-02-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #157
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I didn't drive my BRZ this weekend because it's SoCal and it rained which meant the freeway was closed all day Saturday which turned every surface street in my small city into a wet parking lot.

Probably should have crashed anyway, but didn't. I might go outside this evening since the freeway has been open today. Pray for me.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Brink (02-03-2019), JMon85 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #158
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I didn't drive my BRZ this weekend because it's SoCal and it rained which meant the freeway was closed all day Saturday which turned every surface street in my small city into a wet parking lot.

Probably should have crashed anyway, but didn't. I might go outside this evening since the freeway has been open today. Pray for me.

I should know better but I'm going to ask anyways. Why would they close a freeway due to rain? I have to assume there was a pileup.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:09 AM   #159
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I should know better but I'm going to ask anyways. Why would they close a freeway due to rain? I have to assume there was a pileup.
Well, last time there was a big rain here it was the week after a major wildfire and there were catastrophic mudslides that came crashing down about 3000 vertical feet of mountain and ran all the way to the sea, wiping out hundreds of homes and killing 15-20 people, so I guess they're a little jumpy.

The freeway was buried in about fifteen feet of mud at some of its low points last year. This time we got a couple of inches of sediment washing over the freeway along with a bit of standing water, but you know how people are-- they can't be trusted not to charge into that shit at 80mph because Californian drivers are fucking morons.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (02-11-2019), OwlDance (08-12-2019), Tcoat (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #160
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Well, last time there was a big rain here it was the week after a major wildfire and there were catastrophic mudslides that came crashing down about 3000 vertical feet of mountain and ran all the way to the sea, wiping out hundreds of homes and killing 15-20 people, so I guess they're a little jumpy.

The freeway was buried in about fifteen feet of mud at some of its low points last year. This time we got a couple of inches of sediment washing over the freeway along with a bit of standing water, but you know how people are-- they can't be trusted not to charge into that shit at 80mph because Californian drivers are fucking morons.

Thank you. Obviously, I knew about the catastrophes last year. I didn't put the two together, closing a freeway due to rain.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #161
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Thank you. Obviously, I knew about the catastrophes last year. I didn't put the two together, closing a freeway due to rain.
We would never be able to leave the city. Well there may be a week long window in August. Maybe.
new2subaru (02-04-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #162
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Drove my BRZ for the first time since December, doctor doesn't want me driving a manual for the time being. Pulled it out of the garage... Did not crash. But on a serious note, never have I had so many little boo boos with a car. Have had the car for almost a year and have only put 5000 miles on it and have had two rock chips in the windshield, backed into my truck with it and curbed the front wheel twice. Never happens in my beater.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #163
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,408 Times in 955 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Had to go back out to pick up a few groceries we missed early in the day. With the sun shinning, the roads mostly dry and pushing double digit temperatures, (nearly 50F for you southern folk) I decided to pull the tS out of winter hiding.
I suggested to the wife that we drive to the little town where she was born about 20 minutes from where we now live. I had to be very careful on the roads around our house as they're breaking up badly. Pot holes that would swallow a small child and do much damage to wheels and suspensions if taken at speed. Plus, there is still lots of sand (and salt) in some less traveled areas.
On the drive over I managed to avoid all but one pot hole. Luckily I was only doing about 15 kph when I hit it so it did more to my ego than any real damage to the car.
Entering the town I got a wave from a guy in a white Subaru Crosstrek. I waved back.
Later, while we were at the check out I noticed a young guy taking photos of my tS in the parking lot. I pointed it out to the wife and we both smiled. As I was loading the bag of groceries into the truck a guy ran up yelling; "What kind of Subaru is that?" I said a BRZ and he replied he'd never heard of it, and was it a new model? I said no. He explained his wife drove an AWD Outback and he had an AWD Audi, he pointed it out to me. He asked if the BRZ was AWD and I said no. Was it turbocharged and again I said no. He was about to ask if it was front... but I stopped him and said, no, rear wheel drive. It's a proper sports car. I went on to tell him about the car and that this was the first time I'd driven it since putting it away last fall. He seemed more confused then interested. He could not fathom a non AWD, non turbo, Subaru. He walked away mumbling to himself.
I drove home via a different route and we saw huge flooding in areas that usually never flood or at least not to this extent. Biggest scare is that we've not hit our usual flood time period. Luckily for us the conservation authority in charge of river we back onto has been on top of things. We're at normal water levels for this time of year. We don't expect any flood problems in our back yard.
Had a few yahoos force me into some puddles and there was more water running across sections of the roads I took coming home.
So all in all, 86 km's round trip, got and gave a wave, had someone take photos of my car and had a big grin on face the rest of the day. The car is a little dirty now but I did not crash!
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-17-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #164
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,408 Times in 955 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Took the wife furniture shopping in my tS. The weather reports stated sunny with cloudy periods, no mention of rain. The wife forced me to drive all over the place. We stayed way longer at every place than we needed to. While standing in a large warehouse like building I heard something. It was starting to rain!! I had to drive my tS through it to two more stores before making our way home. Poor car got soaked and very dirty. We did not buy anything and I did not crash!
Attached Images

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #165
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've reached 1400 miles, changed the oil and finished break-in process. I tried the stopwatch to measure 0-100km/h time. I've tried 3-4 times. They were around 9.3 to 10 seconds. I wasn't expecting that slow. It's a 2018 BRZ Automatic. I've tried this in D and sport mode. Is something wrong with my car?
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #166
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
I've reached 1400 miles, changed the oil and finished break-in process. I tried the stopwatch to measure 0-100km/h time. I've tried 3-4 times. They were around 9.3 to 10 seconds. I wasn't expecting that slow. It's a 2018 BRZ Automatic. I've tried this in D and sport mode. Is something wrong with my car?
D is essentially economy mode and sticks to the fluid coupling as much as possible. Sport mode is dumb and innconsistent. Transmission has to go from fluid coupling to locking which causes a delay in power transmission when going from a standstill as the engine pauses during the lock up.

MT mode + brake preloading the torque converter will make it slightly faster 0 to 60. Stopwatching yourself is also likely to have a very delayed reaction that you can easily be more than a second off. Also depends on the rubber you've got. 0 to 60 times are nebulous and vary from driver to driver, and IMO are a fairly useless metric unless determined from a rolling start (launches are hard and bad on any car, it's not worth chasing it.) Traction control and stability are likely to interfere as well unless disabled.

No, nothing is wrong with your car. Stop looking at arbitrary measurements and start paying attention to the feel of the car and there will be no such thing as disappointments.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OwlDance For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-12-2019), korhun (08-12-2019), Tcoat (08-12-2019), why? (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #167
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
D is essentially economy mode and sticks to the fluid coupling as much as possible. Sport mode is dumb and innconsistent. Transmission has to go from fluid coupling to locking which causes a delay in power transmission when going from a standstill as the engine pauses during the lock up.

MT mode + brake preloading the torque converter will make it slightly faster 0 to 60. Stopwatching yourself is also likely to have a very delayed reaction that you can easily be more than a second off. Also depends on the rubber you've got. 0 to 60 times are nebulous and vary from driver to driver, and IMO are a fairly useless metric unless determined from a rolling start (launches are hard and bad on any car, it's not worth chasing it.) Traction control and stability are likely to interfere as well unless disabled.

No, nothing is wrong with your car. Stop looking at arbitrary measurements and start paying attention to the feel of the car and there will be no such thing as disappointments.
Its nice to hear that everything is normal. I actually am very happy about how fast it feels. I was just trying the stopwatch thing of the car, and very surprised with that, because it definitely feels faster. I had once measured <6sec for my old car, but this car is more, a lot more fun than that car.. Thank you..
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
OwlDance (08-12-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #168
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bought my car in January from down south. Brought it back to the frigid Minnesota with some RE71's on it. Drove it for about a week in the cold before the first snow storm hit. On my way to work that morning was the most scared I've ever been in a car, it felt like wearing shoes on an ice rink. I was sliding EVERYWHERE, through intersections, uphill, downhill, it took everything I had to stay on the road and not hit something. Got about 10 miles out of town and onto the highway before I said F that I need tires like yesterday. So I made my way to the Subaru dealer to get a fresh set of Blizzaks. I barely made it but I did not crash!
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote