follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS Stock Pioneer radio RCA outputs

I have the stock Pioneer radio in my FRS.

Generally, I am actually decently satisfied with how it sounds, the seamless bluetooth integration (phone & music streaming), the 90s look, and the USB/AUX inputs where they are. I am adding a Mountek phone mount to the CD slot (cause who uses CDs anymore?) to mount my iPhone 5 for navigation and occasional video duties. I would like to upgrade the speakers, increase power going to them, add a sub, and perhaps add some sound dampening/deadening into the doors and other places to reduce some of that hollow/light sound/feel to things.

My question: I understand there are RCA outputs on the back of this Pioneer stock stereo for a sub-woofer output. Are they currently being utilized? I'm assuming they are not 4V+ outputs (probably 2V?), which are fine since I may still be using speaker-level inputs. Are the RCA outputs customization to output full-range? If they are full-range, I can then feed the RCA outputs into one 4-channel amp (which I would use for upgraded 6.5"s in the doors and probably tweeters on the dash) and have it pass through to a low-profile powered-sub which I hope can fit under the seat. Not sure where the 4-channel would go, maybe under the passenger seat.

Do you see any potential gotchas with this setup?
mit_peid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mit_peid For This Useful Post:
crazyfrenchbiker (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
crazyfrenchbiker
Hot Lava 6MT

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're looking to feed a 4 channel from the factory stereo, I would take the input from the factory amp and used tclips off the stock lines in, since the factory stereo does not have an amplifier (it's external to the stereo)

The factory RCA does not feel full range.
crazyfrenchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazyfrenchbiker For This Useful Post:
Amir Ghadiri (01-20-2014)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Is there currently anything connected to the RCA outputs, stock? I'm assuming the box to the left of the spare tire is the amp for all the speakers in the car. Has anybody found or tried to draw up schematics of the stock stereo and speaker setup?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Avo1789

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone. I had to bring this thread back to life..
I just got done installing my subwoofer, sub amp (rockford fosgate 300.1) and all necessary wiring. I ran the amps RCA cables from the factory pioneer head unit RCA output and it did NOT work. Has anyone ran their subwoofer amp from the stock RCA outputs on the pioneer radio?
Avo1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
sdshores08

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, AT
You need to turn on the RCA outputs. Turn the radio off, then push and hold the volume knob. There will be an option to turn on the sub output from there
sdshores08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdshores08 For This Useful Post:
Alexm_09 (12-30-2013), Avo1789 (01-19-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Alexm_09

Drives: Ultramarine Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
holy macaroni !! I'm glad i ran into this, i hooked up my system and it did not work. after breaking my head and some troubleshooting i found it was the rca output/ or cables. Now i feel kind of dumb i should of checked settings. This makes it a lot easier, thanks.
Alexm_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
aquaman

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshores08 View Post
You need to turn on the RCA outputs. Turn the radio off, then push and hold the volume knob. There will be an option to turn on the sub output from there
Does that only work when the rca is plugged into the head unit. I tried this the other day (with nothing installed into the head unit )
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #8
Avo1789

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
Does that only work when the rca is plugged into the head unit. I tried this the other day (with nothing installed into the head unit )
Yes, you need to have the RCA running from your head unit to the amplifier. The quality of the low frequencies is MUCH better this way than tapping from the speaker wires.
Avo1789 is offline   Reply With Quote