follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
otto07

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Perrin 3in resonated

I just installed a Perrin exhaust on my car about a week ago. I bought it used but purchased all new hardware from Perrin just to make sure I don't have any leaks. I installed the exhaust and inspected it a few days later and there was a leak.(black sut around the connection). I removed the gasket and re installed it but still there is a leak. Now worse then before because I can taste it in the cabin. I noticed that the holes on the resonator pipe were slotted and the washers Perrin provided don't seem to cover those holes fully. Everything else is stock exhaust wise.

I was thinking of trying a exhaust sealer like the one below. Any advice from anyone would be appreciaTed.

http://www.abroeurope.com/images/EXHAUST-SEALER.jpg
otto07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Are you using the stock FP with a donut gasket? If so, you might think about taking it to an exhaust shop and having them switch it to a flat flange like the perrin.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto07 View Post
I just installed a Perrin exhaust on my car about a week ago. I bought it used but purchased all new hardware from Perrin just to make sure I don't have any leaks. I installed the exhaust and inspected it a few days later and there was a leak.(black sut around the connection). I removed the gasket and re installed it but still there is a leak. Now worse then before because I can taste it in the cabin. I noticed that the holes on the resonator pipe were slotted and the washers Perrin provided don't seem to cover those holes fully. Everything else is stock exhaust wise.

I was thinking of trying a exhaust sealer like the one below. Any advice from anyone would be appreciaTed.

http://www.abroeurope.com/images/EXHAUST-SEALER.jpg
If I'm reading you right, I don't believe the slotted holes (if they are in the flange) are supposed to seal the exhaust.

Yep, like mentioned, a muffler shop can most likely put those pieces together so they don't leak. Most of the time, when a car is up on a rack, working on the exhaust is more successful.

Yes, you could try to goop it up with muffler seal.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Hi,

I think I got an email from you earlier today. We include a 2.55" two bolt flat gasket to use with the stock front pipe. That's the gasket that we'd recommend using with either a stock front pipe or aftermarket. If your front pipe is a 3", you can also use a 3" 2 bolt gasket. It wouldn't hurt to use an exhaust paste, but normally you wouldn't have to use that. I'd also double check the V band connection as well. The V band only needs to be tightened 25 in lbs, if they're over tightened, they can leak.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
otto07

Using the Perrin gasket. Took it to a muffler shop and they found no leaks. Don't under stand these headaches now. They didn't check the v band clams so I'll check there Chris. Guess it's a possibility.

Side note any reason why my pedal foot gets super hot while driving more then 20 minutes? Feels like I have a heater blasting my leg.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
I'm not sure about the hot air, unless it was coming from the heater vent. Are you running aftermarket gauges? Maybe engine bay heat is getting through a hole for wires?
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
otto07

Everything is stock other then exhaust. First mod.fumes are deff coming in from somewhere. I can taste the fumes when I drive. I'll take it to another exhaust shop. Hopefully they have a answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
I'm not sure about the hot air, unless it was coming from the heater vent. Are you running aftermarket gauges? Maybe engine bay heat is getting through a hole for wires?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Everything is stock other then exhaust. First mod.fumes are deff coming in from somewhere. I can taste the fumes when I drive. I'll take it to another exhaust shop. Hopefully they have a answer.
Is your HVAC set to fresh air?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Yea make sure your heater isnt set to hot; even if it is off it will still blow hot. And are you sure the smell is exhaust gases and not just burnt gases? You bought the thing used, is there stuff on the exhaust that is burning off like oil or some product? Did a rat crawl into the engine bay and make a nest against the exhaust manifold?
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
otto07

It is set to cold. Yea that eat nest idea was running through my head as well. I cleaned the exhaust up before the install. A possibility but I don't think anything else would give me headaches this bad if it wasn't exhaust fumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Yea make sure your heater isnt set to hot; even if it is off it will still blow hot. And are you sure the smell is exhaust gases and not just burnt gases? You bought the thing used, is there stuff on the exhaust that is burning off like oil or some product? Did a rat crawl into the engine bay and make a nest against the exhaust manifold?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
It is set to cold. Yea that eat nest idea was running through my head as well. I cleaned the exhaust up before the install. A possibility but I don't think anything else would give me headaches this bad if it wasn't exhaust fumes.
What did you clean it with? Pretty common for a bad smell to be present with exhaust components for a couple days when they're new. If you cleaned it with some sort of chemical and didn't remove it all, it's possible that it's still burning off.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
otto07

Just a dry cloth. No chemicals.

I'm going to double check everything tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
What did you clean it with? Pretty common for a bad smell to be present with exhaust components for a couple days when they're new. If you cleaned it with some sort of chemical and didn't remove it all, it's possible that it's still burning off.