follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #29
Parappa

Drives: Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
$20 on eBay....works great , elastic strap around the cup holder.
Attached Images

Parappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #30
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Why would anybody do that? Resting your elbow on the ebrake handle would be really strange. You'd be driving with one hand on the wheel, gangsta style, just peaking over the center vent hump. People behind you would think you were giving your passenger a hummer.
You don't rest your elbow on it. You rest your hand on it and keep your elbow up against the side of the bolstered seats. Maybe it's only for us shorter folks?
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
Ryguystye

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
You don't rest your elbow on it. You rest your hand on it and keep your elbow up against the side of the bolstered seats. Maybe it's only for us shorter folks?
Yup, I'm 5'6" and use the ebrake to rest my wrist and forearm. My elbow wouldn't even touch an armrest in the cup holder area with my seating position, unless I awkwardly bent my arm up and around the seat bolster.

Btw, is there a part that protects the inside surface of the ebrake boot? I thought I saw a pic from an old thread that shows an insert that keeps the brake boot from rubbing against the jagged parts of the brake handle mechanism.
Ryguystye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #32
ImBatman
My Tumbler is an FRS

Drives: exclusively in the fast lane
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
2. I routinely drive long distances for my job, and that kind of driving requires coffee. Coffee requires a cupholder. Having to leave the GT86 armrest door open to enjoy a cup of coffee seems awkward. Not only would it be in the way, but I suspect the hinges wouldn't last that long constantly being bumped in the open position. The Scion armrest is supposed to slide out of the way to allow cupholder access. I considered relocating my cupholder forward next to the shifter, but I didn't like the mounting points available there. This seems like the best compromise.
I was wondering the same thing and had just come to terms with keeping a thermos for coffee for transport in the door cup holder. Can anyone else provide some insight as to how you have used the better looking armrest AND been able to keep coffee handy?

The USDM armrest also looks like it would be way too high. I raise my seat as is but it looks like it would be uncomfortable...
ImBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #33
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
I love the Carsmo armrest I bought. It matches the interior like it came with the car from the factory.

It's comfortable - I love the ergonomic design, and most importantly (for me) it allows access to the cup holders without having to lift anything up, being difficult for the passenger to reach it, or the worrying about the lid flopping down during hard breaking or cornering (I'm not sure if the later is actually a problem, but it's an issue I didn't want wanted to worry about when I was looking for an armrest appropriate for me).

It is a very sturdy armrest made with fiberglass, but padded enough to be very comfortable (I think a lot of people tend to see images of the Carsmo armrest and thin kit's just a pillow like I did the first time I saw it).

The bottom is also hollow in the event that you do want to store, or hide anything underneath it, so it doesn't just eat up the space that it fits it.

It was exactly what I wanted in an armrest - I wish it came with the car when I purchased it, and I think $140 for a handmade item of its quality is a great price.

Here are a few bad iPhone pictures I took of mine this morning -

This one wins in the functionality department
Old 11-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
The missing armrest was the only thing I didn't like when I drove the demo car back in '12, so I got this off eBay while waiting for my car.
It's the perfect height for me, so I've kept it even after the lid type was made available.

Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #35
RTR

Drives: monogram raven
Mine looks just like Sarlacc's. Can't get my pic to load. But made it myself. Materials cost less than $20. Has black walnut cylinders on the bottom that fit perfectly in the cup holder. Can move it forward or back, and bolts in the cylinders allow for height adjustment. Love how the double stitching matches the monogram seats. Looks factory, well worth the effort. No way I was paying prices they want for them. Use it a lot, but removable any time
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #36
jdubious

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn86 View Post
I've seen this one before and definitely want to pick one up, as it looks the most natural, comfortable and functional.

Does anybody have any tips on where to pick one up for cheap? Is it something that has to be imported from Europe?

I've found a few places online that have them but would prefer to deal with a reputable seller that people can vouch for.

Thanks in advance!
I picked mine up over at Nigel jdm.

http://nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota-86-front-arm-rest

Not exactly cheap but very reputable.
jdubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #37
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
It's comfortable - I love the ergonomic design, and most importantly (for me) it allows access to the cup holders without having to lift anything up

That looks really awkward. With the cupholders in the rear position like that, your coffee would be behind you. I know for certain that if I had to reach back between the seats to get my coffee, I would end up bumping the bottom of the cup on the pad, knocking it out of my hand and all over the car.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #38
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
That looks really awkward. With the cupholders in the rear position like that, your coffee would be behind you. I know for certain that if I had to reach back between the seats to get my coffee, I would end up bumping the bottom of the cup on the pad, knocking it out of my hand and all over the car.
It's not that bad - the armrest is the best compromise (imo) to allow you access to the cup holders, and still have enough of an armrest to be comfortable leaning on, but of course an armrest is a mod that we're all going to have a different personal preference for, as this thread has demonstrated.

If you sit with the seat more forward then it might be a bit awkward - I'm always just careful, and I never grab my drink unless I'm at a red light, and I always have a cap or a lid on the drinks I bring in my car. I always lift my cup up a ways when I grab it, so I haven't run into the issue you brought up.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #39
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Here is what we use as an "elbow" rest.

Nice and wide, so the mrs and I don't fight over elbow space ....

It was made in Italy ..... so the Interweb told me ..... by a little old man (most likely some kid).

Made of real leather ...... or some good pleather .....

It was custom made ........ for different car ....... so, to make it fit, I re-customized it to fit my FR-S.

I can't remember where I ordered it from or how much I paid for it ...... too soon ........ but I can remember the timing advance, points and spark plug gaps and valve clearance, for my first machine (1937 Chevrolet pick-up).

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
BRZ21 (11-21-2014), chaoskaze (12-13-2014), Tcoat (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #40
djmm

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Why you guys like arm rest so much? With that thing installed, I can't put my takeaway coffee.
djmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #41
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn86 View Post
I've seen this one before and definitely want to pick one up, as it looks the most natural, comfortable and functional.

Does anybody have any tips on where to pick one up for cheap? Is it something that has to be imported from Europe?

I've found a few places online that have them but would prefer to deal with a reputable seller that people can vouch for.

Thanks in advance!
There really isn't a cheap option. These run about $200 from various vendors. If you're savvy, you can buy a cover that is fitted for this and possibly make yourself one for maybe $100.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #42
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubious View Post
I picked mine up over at Nigel jdm.

http://nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota-86-front-arm-rest

Not exactly cheap but very reputable.
+2 for them. Shipped one to me all the way down here in NZ and in the RHD version for me. Great service and love this armrest. Tried four others before this one incl most of the ones mentioned above and this one looks perfect when fitted. The sit on top ones just don't look as good IMHO.