follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #85
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Were they Krispy Kremes?

Out of warranty help when located in one of the two private distributor service areas, Southeast Toyota or Gulf States Toyota, is rare.

There are cases like yours on other forums where owners are denied help in the PD's while owners in a factory owned region get compensated.

@funwheeldrive, like me, is located in a factory region that makes our chances a little better.
I guess next time I need to drive a little bit further and get out of the private distributor area.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #86
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipping_Path View Post
The general rattle trap of the dash and door panels. It's only gotten worse with each year. I'm hoping a proper sound insulation project in the future can cut down on atleast some of the moving mystery rattles and vibrations. It is embarrassing when you have a passenger. You can't drown out the rattling with music because the bass makes it 10x worse.
I have found that most of my early rattles and squeaks have pretty much gone away over time. I guess they finally just wore themselves into place. The speakers however still struggle with any bass.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #87
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For me, it's hearing gigantic thunks on the car and being terrified something scratched or dented my car. Most of the time it's in the wheel wells and that still bothers me. Most often it's road debris but today I was driving down a throughway and I swear I heard a rock slap into my driver door loud enough that I was sure it caused a dent. I found a small of moss caked onto my door, presumably from the impact. At least it wasn't 100% rock on paint itself but it's made me doubly paranoid about the paint work. It's getting cold real fast though and I need to wash the car again soon before the cold weather really sets in, and try to apply some wax and not screw it up. Gotta get it prepped for winter.

Regarding the speakers/bass, they seem very finnicky to get working right. I've been lazy and keep forgetting to get an aux cable for my phone to the car, but while using bluetooth I notice my bass is a heck of a lot clearer and almost comparable to luxury vehicles if my phone's bluetooth volume is set to max while my car speakers are set to low. However, if my phone's output volume is low, the sound the car speakers generate is very tinny. Also when I first got the car (was new), someone must have been screwing around with the audio because the treble, mids and bass settings were cranked all the way to max for some weird reason. I readjusted them to be much closer to the middle and the sound is perfect.

Now that being said, I use an LGV20 which came with a very good DAC, and I'm playing my music through bluetooth via android VLC media player + some moderate EQ settings. I don't know how the software for audio works for car entertainment systems but my audio is pretty darn good with my settings. I guess with bluetooth it's taking the raw output from my phone's hardware, which might correspond to higher quality. Normally I'd eschew bluetooth (why waste power transmitting wirelessly when you can just use a wire...? USB audio doesn't work on my phone for the record) but if the aux cable doesn't maintain the same quality as the bluetooth I might actually just stick with it.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #88
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
62 kl (39 miles) each way in the GTA gridlock daily. Often takes 1.5 hours. Still my biggest beef is the two and three story tall vehicles surrounding me. Can't see anything but bumper most of the ride.
Oh, are turn signals an expensive option on Beemers? Such I tiny percentage of them signal. It's a good thing brake lights come on automatically.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #89
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
...Regarding the speakers/bass...
It's posts like this when I remember being proud to have a Dolby® logo on my aftermarket in-dash cassette deck and the term head unit was locker room talk.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (10-22-2018), Tcoat (10-19-2018), _Kodiak (03-15-2020)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #90
Nickel
Nick

Drives: 2013 10 Series GT86 #182 of 2500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Traffic lights, other people on the road, over population, too many factors for human error on a nice back road.
2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT #182 of 2500/1993 Mazda Miata/1994 Suzuki Cappuccino/2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package/2016 Yamaha FZ-09/2023 Toyota Camry XSE

Instagram: @nickel_reed
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #91
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have found that most of my early rattles and squeaks have pretty much gone away over time. I guess they finally just wore themselves into place. The speakers however still struggle with any bass.
My experience so far hasn't really been that the speakers themselves struggle with bass, but that the other components in the door rattle whenever the speaker produces bass. Sucks though, since I don't know what's rattling (I have already shimmed all the lock/window buttons and those are no longer rattling) so I don't know where to start with trying to fix it.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #92
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
My experience so far hasn't really been that the speakers themselves struggle with bass, but that the other components in the door rattle whenever the speaker produces bass. Sucks though, since I don't know what's rattling (I have already shimmed all the lock/window buttons and those are no longer rattling) so I don't know where to start with trying to fix it.
That is what I meant. The knee pads on the 14 help dull it a little but everything else in the door still rattles. Some music is far worse than others and it totally despises Kid Rock. It doesn't bother me enough to pull it apart and dampen it all though.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #93
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
That is what I meant. The knee pads on the 14 help dull it a little but everything else in the door still rattles. Some music is far worse than others and it totally despises Kid Rock. It doesn't bother me enough to pull it apart and dampen it all though.
Well, your car and I agree on one thing... lol

But yeah, I'm basically in the same boat. The rattle is a bit annoying, but not so bad that I'm rushing to tear apart the door panel and try to find the culprit. Maybe if I have some time one of these weekends...
Tcoat (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #94
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
Well, your car and I agree on one thing... lol

But yeah, I'm basically in the same boat. The rattle is a bit annoying, but not so bad that I'm rushing to tear apart the door panel and try to find the culprit. Maybe if I have some time one of these weekends...
LOL There is no accounting for taste!
And to be clear I mean Kid ROCK not the later Kid Country crap.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrNS2zbTZg[/ame]
Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #95
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
LOL There is no accounting for taste!
And to be clear I mean Kid ROCK not the later Kid Country crap.

Kid Rock, Kid Country, whichever. Still just not my cup of tea. No disrespect, of course lol.
Tcoat (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #96
Little Mt. Fuji

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
For me, it's hearing gigantic thunks on the car and being terrified something scratched or dented my car.
This... had a rock kick up from a sentra driving next to me, left a nice deep, wide 4 inch scratch in the middle of my door.
Little Mt. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #97
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqMY-0ibmIw[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Clipping_Path (01-31-2019)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #98
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Pot holes and bumpy roads for sure, but that was expected.

The unexpected one was staring at other people's high beams across the street at a stop light, or even from behind... their lights are the same level as my windows and mirrors.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daily driver, daily driver problems, frs, ft86, traffic