follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2018, 02:36 AM   #1
xm3s0sleepyx

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After leaving dealership

Hey guys! I don't know much about cars (just some basics). I'll try to make it short.
So today was my first day driving my 2017 86 (basic) to and from work after getting the 15month maintenance (oil filter/change, rotate tires, inspect, etc.) @4k miles. While driving I noticed the speedometer was a little off. When I'm breaking and I hit a complete stop, there's some lag from going to 3mph to 0. Seems like when I'm driving 40mph it says I'm driving 45mph now. I downloaded an app, and it seems to be accurate along with my car. It's just the whole 4k mileage I drove doesn't seem to add up now. Am I being paranoid that I called out the dealership for trying to scam me, so the messed up my car in someway? Would increasing these speed (mph/kh) increase my overall mileage? i.e racking up overall mileage faster so I hit 10,000miles faster.
Looking forward to your guys' advice!

[Semi-long story] Went to the dealership I bought my car from for maintenance. Every since I bought the car at 2miles and sold off the lot at 14miles I was skeptical about this dealership. First maintenance, only took an hour, and I didn't even know if they even touched my car. This time around I marked my tires (chalk) and initialed my filter. An hour later they told me it was done, so I told them I'll check. Yeah, they didn't change much, beside topping off my fluids. Called them out on it, they managed to change the filter (but probably didn't do the rest) within 10 minutes. Hence why I'm here all worried.
xm3s0sleepyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
welcome to the forums think you'll fit right in

think you're being a bit paranoid here... naturally speedos post a higher speed anyways (allowed up to 10%) and logically it isn't worth the dealer's time to tamper with something like that...5 mph over at 200 hours of driving is only 1000 miles which is like 10% of total miles if you drive an average of say 50 mph..would be a pretty desperate move with very low return

as far as "lag" on the speedo, I'm assuming you're using the digital readout in the tach...hope we're on the same page it will skip over numbers..so you're saying you come to a 100% complete stop and it doesn't register 0 right away? think might be part of the paranoia

that sort of service story is common..either do it yourself or find a different dealer. turnover is pretty high, maybe they'll have more caring techs next time
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 03:33 AM   #3
xm3s0sleepyx

Drives: Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
welcome to the forums think you'll fit right in

think you're being a bit paranoid here... naturally speedos post a higher speed anyways (allowed up to 10%) and logically it isn't worth the dealer's time to tamper with something like that...5 mph over at 200 hours of driving is only 1000 miles which is like 10% of total miles if you drive an average of say 50 mph..would be a pretty desperate move with very low return

as far as "lag" on the speedo, I'm assuming you're using the digital readout in the tach...hope we're on the same page it will skip over numbers..so you're saying you come to a 100% complete stop and it doesn't register 0 right away? think might be part of the paranoia

that sort of service story is common..either do it yourself or find a different dealer. turnover is pretty high, maybe they'll have more caring techs next time

!
Somehow it just seems a little different... Aside from that putting gas in the tank would of been my next blame (but that would be a stretch). Thanks for your response!
xm3s0sleepyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Stealerships, I mean dealerships are inherently dodgy, and more expensive usually.

I date my oil and air filter with a texta.

Oil change and basic service only takes about 1/2 hour.

Speedos usually read under, there's a % that they can be under, but not over.

I don't know what it's like where you come from, but here in AU, as long as it done by a certified mechanic and noted in your log book your warranty is solid.

When I get a new car I have it service by the local performance shop, basically running it in hard for 100km straight from the dealer and then get it on the dyno for a health check and then get a oil change, until it's time to modify, usually at about 1k km of driving it like I stole it, back on the dyno for a health check and all the oils changed, if the car is solid I modify.

From there I service it myself.

Even if I don't modify something or service it myself, the missus car for example, it goes nowhere near a stealership.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I just...

I can't...
Crashdummy (09-28-2018), ermax (09-28-2018), finch1750 (09-28-2018), HKz (09-28-2018), SC10N (10-27-2018), Summerwolf (09-28-2018), Tristor (10-15-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Stealerships, I mean dealerships are inherently dodgy, and more expensive usually.

I date my oil and air filter with a texta.

Oil change and basic service only takes about 1/2 hour.

Speedos usually read under, there's a % that they can be under, but not over.

I don't know what it's like where you come from, but here in AU, as long as it done by a certified mechanic and noted in your log book your warranty is solid.

When I get a new car I have it service by the local performance shop, basically running it in hard for 100km straight from the dealer and then get it on the dyno for a health check and then get a oil change, until it's time to modify, usually at about 1k km of driving it like I stole it, back on the dyno for a health check and all the oils changed, if the car is solid I modify.

From there I service it myself.

Even if I don't modify something or service it myself, the missus car for example, it goes nowhere near a stealership.
So so much that is just wrong here.
Spuds (09-28-2018), why? (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #7
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I just...

I can't...
yes you can. You know you want to. It is for the good of humanity.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So so much that is just wrong here.
Its been working for me for the past 35 odd years, both with OEM new car and bike engines, as well as built engines.

In all that time the only engine failure I've had was due to poor fuel in an RB.

I've never had major blow by issues either, even running 25 psi running through a RB.

As for the Speedo https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/how-...my-cars-speedo

Each to their own.

Like everything, opinions may vary.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Its been working for me for the past 35 odd years, both with OEM new car and bike engines, as well as built engines.

In all that time the only engine failure I've had was due to poor fuel in an RB.

I've never had major blow by issues either, even running 25 psi running through a RB.

As for the Speedo https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/how-...my-cars-speedo

Each to their own.

Like everything, opinions may vary.
Well your very own link say the total opposite of your statement for the speedo

"Essentially they’re not allowed to under-report your speed. So a speedo cannot display - say - 100 when your actual speed is 105."

How the hell does running a car on a dyno determine the health of an engine? A dyno ain't gonna tell you squat about the condition of the engine.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
86MLR

Yeap I said under instead of over, my bad.

Dyno, blow by will cause knock, the tuner will pick this up.

There is of course other reasons that will cause it, but if your fuel is good, it may be due to the blow by.

I run in hard to ensure I get a good ring to bore seal.

My plant equipment from new is run at full song from delivery.

The trucks at work get loaded and worked hard from day 1.

As long as they are serviced and only clean good fuel is used they last for years.

Disclaimer: oil temp, pressure, coolant temp are always at operating temps before I lean on a engine.

I don't bounce of the limiter.

I service my vehicles regularly.

As stated, opinions may vary.

How you do it is up to you.

Your free to run in however you want, hard works for me.

Opinions may vary, meh.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeap I said under instead of over, my bad.

Dyno, blow by will cause knock, the tuner will pick this up.

There is of course other reasons that will cause it, but if your fuel is good, it may be due to the blow by.

I run in hard to ensure I get a good ring to bore seal.

My plant equipment from new is run at full song from delivery.

The trucks at work get loaded and worked hard from day 1.

As long as they are serviced and only clean good fuel is used they last for years.

Disclaimer: oil temp, pressure, coolant temp are always at operating temps before I lean on a engine.

I don't bounce of the limiter.

I service my vehicles regularly.

As stated, opinions may vary.

How you do it is up to you.

Your free to run in however you want, hard works for me.

Opinions may vary, meh.
Yep like I said wrong.

Identifying knock is great but a dyno is still a horrible diagnostic tool for the "health" of an engine.

There are certainly two schools of thought about break in and each has it's own merits and drawbacks.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
what trim is your 86 I have a 17 PP with the lcd screen too, and my screen also lags but i take as whatever.

The rate at which we decelerate or accelerate would most when we do really fast. my lcd lags but for the screen to keep up each mph drop or increase i think would be hard especially if the screen doesnt have a good cpu, im not saying that its bad one, im sure for cost benefit they didnt choose the absolute latest tech on the market and thats okay i also have an analog speedo.

furthermore, the lcd would have a harder time keeping up with accel or decel, when using kph especially because of the 1:1.6 mile to kilometer ratio

** This is my assumption i can be wrong!
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiihcircle View Post
what trim is your 86 I have a 17 PP with the lcd screen too, and my screen also lags but i take as whatever.

The rate at which we decelerate or accelerate would most when we do really fast. my lcd lags but for the screen to keep up each mph drop or increase i think would be hard especially if the screen doesnt have a good cpu, im not saying that its bad one, im sure for cost benefit they didnt choose the absolute latest tech on the market and thats okay i also have an analog speedo.

furthermore, the lcd would have a harder time keeping up with accel or decel, when using kph especially because of the 1:1.6 mile to kilometer ratio

** This is my assumption i can be wrong!
Mine lags about the same and it is KPH.
We have obviously uncovered a major conspiracy by the dealerships to force us to have service done sooner than required.
The simple fact that the odometer and speedometer are now electronic not mechanical and probably don't even use the same signals doesn't mean shit.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
My LCD speedo lags a tad too. Most noticable when coming to a complete stop because it's obvious you aren't doing 3mph when the car isn't moving.

As for break in methods. I also lean more towards the beat down method (only 75% of the rev band though) right out of the box vs babying it during that short period the cylinders still have a crosshatch on them. That crosshatch is there for bedding the rings. May as well take advantage of them before they are gone. BMW and Porsche have similar recommended break ins now too if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by ermax; 09-28-2018 at 11:00 AM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-28-2018)