follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
mrunal91

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Question Replacement Windshield in SoCal

Hey everyone,

I have a footlong hairline crack on my windshield (a rock chip expanding due to the heat) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a reputable place to get the glass replaced. Also, how much $$ should i be looking to dish out?

From my research, it looks as if we got shafted by the factory and we all have substandard glass (just like our paint... ), so i would not mind aftermarket glass if it is of a higher quality.

Thanks soCal!
mrunal91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunal91 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a footlong hairline crack on my windshield (a rock chip expanding due to the heat) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a reputable place to get the glass replaced. Also, how much $$ should i be looking to dish out?

From my research, it looks as if we got shafted by the factory and we all have substandard glass (just like our paint... ), so i would not mind aftermarket glass if it is of a higher quality.

Thanks soCal!
dr auto glass in arcadia.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/doctor-auto-glass-arcadia-2
It was only $150. But that was for a older car. Newer cars would be more expensive. Quality was a little less than stock, but it was also on a lexus. No complaints for a buck fiddy.
In and out in less than an hour. Give them a call, they should be able to give you a good price.
Let us know how much you end up paying. Good luck.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-24-2015), mrunal91 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 AM   #3
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I work at a car dealership and most windshields can be had for around $80 installed, but the cheapest windshield replacements available for the FR-S so far are around $300 (in my experience, we've only replaced a handful so far). Try Corona AutoSpot, they do good work!
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 AM   #4
TJ3000

Drives: MT Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Ghadiri View Post
I work at a car dealership and most windshields can be had for around $80 installed, but the cheapest windshield replacements available for the FR-S so far are around $300 (in my experience, we've only replaced a handful so far). Try Corona AutoSpot, they do good work!
What dealership are you at Amir!?!
TJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ3000 View Post
What dealership are you at Amir!?!
Auto Gallery in Corona!
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #6
Thunderiff

Drives: 1's Dark n 1's Beat Up
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Try safelite. They are mobile where they can come to you or you go to them. Reasonable prices and all over the country. Fixed a few nicks in the glass and replaced a windshield on my toyota.
Thunderiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
It was only $150. But that was for a older car. Newer cars would be more expensive. Quality was a little less than stock, but it was also on a lexus. No complaints for a buck fiddy.
In and out in less than an hour. Give them a call, they should be able to give you a good price.
thanks for the link! i need to replace my gf's windshield and been wondering where we should go that's nearby to our house
Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderiff View Post
Try safelite. They are mobile where they can come to you or you go to them. Reasonable prices and all over the country. Fixed a few nicks in the glass and replaced a windshield on my toyota.
I have heard a lot of negative things about safelite from this forum, with regards to replacing the entire windshield, so i am really hesitant about them. People have said their quality is below subpar and the glass is wavy/distorts vision. I would rather pay a little more and get a higher quality glass, even if i have to drive a little further to get it.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Thanks for the headsup. looks like they have a ton of good reviews. have contacted them for a quote on multiple types/brands of glass and will get back to you guys. Hopefully no one needs their services tho!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Thunderiff

Drives: 1's Dark n 1's Beat Up
Quote:
I have heard a lot of negative things about safelite from this forum, with regards to replacing the entire windshield, so i am really hesitant about them. People have said their quality is below subpar and the glass is wavy/distorts vision. I would rather pay a little more and get a higher quality glass, even if i have to drive a little further to get it.
I understand. Sometimes you can't please everyone. i have never had any probs with safelite. Work was done on my toyota. Im sure there are places with better quality glass with reasonable or higher prices. You want the best, so do whats best for you and your ride.
Thunderiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Vesalera

Drives: Infiniti g20, 14 scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you are still in the market for a new windshield I own a family owned shop here In long beach we can go mobile for free any where in the oc/inland empire/LA county. Shop name is international auto glass you can find us on yelp. Windshield runs for about 345 installed Pilkington north American made glass. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks! Eddie-
Vesalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesalera View Post
If you are still in the market for a new windshield I own a family owned shop here In long beach we can go mobile for free any where in the oc/inland empire/LA county. Shop name is international auto glass you can find us on yelp. Windshield runs for about 345 installed Pilkington north American made glass. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks! Eddie-
Hey thanks for reaching out. I am definitely still interested. What is the word on the street about the quality of Pilkington glass? How is the quality in comparison to OEM? Would you put it on your own car? I read a post on the forum where one person recommended it but i have no further information on it. Also does it have a tint strip on the top?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
Vesalera

Drives: Infiniti g20, 14 scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey thanks for reaching out. I am definitely still interested. What is the word on the street about the quality of Pilkington glass? How is the quality in comparison to OEM? Would you put it on your own car? I read a post on the forum where one person recommended it but i have no further information on it. Also does it have a tint strip on the top?

Thanks!
Yeah no problem, Pilkington is excellent quality with no distortion like Chinese brand windshields and excellent oem fitment. I'd install it on my Fr-s if the day would ever come. There is an option for having a green tint on top of the windshield for the same price. We've been in business for 20 years and of course our work is lifetime so any problems such as leaking or air you can come back to us.
Let me know (:
Vesalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Artie_z

Drives: 2013 ultramarine. FR-S
Garage
Pilkington glass

Had my wind shield replaced at 3,500 miles
Two years ago cost of this was $445 at the time.
Makes sence the glass has gotten cheaper. Over all optical clairity of Pilkingtin is great however, glass seems soft lots of chips. And I don't follow closely to people on the road. O.em glass is $600 or so so at $325 it's an ok deal.
Toyota does indeed use Pilkingtin glass, however oversees it's NSG

Artie_z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, cost, crack, windshield