follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2021, 11:50 PM   #1
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front lic plate

Anyone in Washington able to request exemption from a front plate? How easy was it, and what approach did you use?
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Probably not a streamlined procedure.
It's more likely to lead to socks rolling up and down with all the Sheriffs, town cops, patrol officers and people with authori-tay afflictions.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:33 AM   #3
Mykart

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't recommend it if you spend much time across the river. I've heard from coworkers that ran without front plates that Oregon cops will pull you over for it since they require them.

Just something to think about.
Mykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:44 AM   #4
Sur

Yea I was just curious what others have done. I’m going to do the tow package plate. Don’t need anymore reasons than I already have to be pulled over
Old 06-13-2021, 01:21 AM   #5
AnotherDude000

Drives: 2022 GR86 Neptune Blue!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Haven't run a plate since I got mine 4 years ago. Never gotten a ticket or pulled over and this is with a full fatback and UEL header too. Just don't drive like you want them to pull you over and you'll be fine, but not all cops are the same.

Also ran my tC for 7 years without a plate and only got 1 fix it ticket the entire time.
AnotherDude000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
Jajanken86

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ran for 4 years without front plate all over the Hillsboro and Portland areas, and the most trouble I had was consistently getting street parking tickets downtown Portland due to no front plate. Then I got the plate mounted before finding out just going into car parks would keep me safe.
Jajanken86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:03 AM   #7
Sur

Those are good things to hear. I’m still going to buy the tow hook plate setup, that way I can add and remove it at my leisure. Not hard to unscrew and pop the cap back in place. But it’s good to hear that it is a possibility for some. And definitely a good thing to hear that someone else has UEL headers and a loud exhaust like myself where in they havnt had issues.

I’m just running through my head of all the possibilities, UEL, loud exhaust, catless, super low, tint, then add on having no plate in front, I feel I’d be asking for it. So for piece of mind, I’ll get the tow kit and pop it in when I’m just cruising with no purpose and obviously if I’m parking it where parking enforcement is prowling. On my way to work, no issue, it’s 6 minutes from my house.

I do see a lot of people without plates in the front, but that doesn’t mean they havnt been harassed.

Any of you guys ever get together and cruise or meet up here in Portland/Vancouver? I’d be interested in a meet/cruise
Old 06-13-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i'm in indiana now, but i have a front towhook plate from when i lived in Il. it can be yours for the price of shipping if you want.

front plates are a hassle, but any day that i don't need to deal with a cop is a better day than it could be.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #9
Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm in indiana now, but i have a front towhook plate from when i lived in Il. it can be yours for the price of shipping if you want.

front plates are a hassle, but any day that i don't need to deal with a cop is a better day than it could be.
That’s something to think about. I’ll look at the shipping from Indiana to Washington and get back to you.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #10
Ducati.Femme

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited - Pearl White
All 5 cars I've owned haven't had front plates. I think it really is not asthetically pleasing, and the ONLY reason that OR requires them is because of their photo radar bs. Only car that ever got pulled over for it was the MR2. And that was during the time when the first Fast and Furious came out and my car was profiled for just existing. Put the plate on, take a picture, go to court, got it thrown out. Annoying, yeah, but that was the only time, in 25 years.

Like 'AnotherDude' stated.. don't drive like you want a ticket and you won't get one. Mine also has full exhusat, and headers. So she certainly isn't 'stealthy' by any means. Haha
Ducati.Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducati.Femme For This Useful Post:
AnotherDude000 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #11
Sur

Good to hear, yea that sucks to get pulled into court for some dumb stuff like that but already you can get it thrown out. Like I said before I’m gonna buy it and I’ll keep it in my car and put it on when I feel I need to and take it off when I feel like it as well. Already I don’t have to drill. Just pop the tab and screw it in and vice versa.

Haha I remember those days, I had a 94 civic coupe, and when me and my friends went to see the he first movie, the beginning with the civics and the semi truck, my friends all looked my me and were like dude that’s you car, like exactly. Black in black tint, lowered to the max, and all the bells and whistles. Was a fun little car. Beat a lot of cars it shouldn’t have. And every cop pulled me over . Ahh the good ol days

Nowadays I do exactly what was said, don’t drive like you want a ticket. For sure. Of course I punch the gas and push the redline at times but once I hit the speed limit I stay at it. It’s real easy to do that in the frs. It feels as fast as it needs to feel because it’s fun to drive. And that’s all that matters. Until your brother wants to race you in his ecoboost mustang. I think it’s about the driver, not just the car. So one day, my MT will take his AT ecoboost. But we aren’t doing a straight haha
Old 06-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
Ducati.Femme

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited - Pearl White
Exactly! Our cars were never built to be fast in a straight line. But with good tires she can take a LOT of those cars in the corners. And since it's a Mustang, even a big 4, we all know 'mustangs do what mustangs gonna do. And cornering isn't it. haha

I still get on it and enjoy the hell out of it on those on ramps.. I mean you ARE supposed to get up to freeway speed before merging right?
Ducati.Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:53 PM   #13
Sur

Or when I pull out and the tC that sped up doesn’t let me in while merging and I crush gears and blow past em. But still stay within the speed limited most fun car I’ve ever had really. I’ll take an frs over a mustang any day: I already told him, you wanna do something, we do a road with a few turns and then we will see who can drive haha.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #14
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I refused to drill holes in my front clip and went with a Perrin plate holder that goes in the front right under that little button cover. Later models don't have that, your 13 should though.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote