follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #113
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
^ Real Reliability unless you wanna throw up 6k+ for the Cosworth kit. Mind you Cosworth kit have less torque under curve compare to factory fa20dit.

Most kits are not developed with reliability in mind.
Why are you comparing to a kit that hasn't really been proven while there are kits out there that have already been proven for FAR cheaper?

Not to mention DI only engines are known for being unreliable because of buildup on the back of the valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
your car isn't carbed so, it wouldn't pass inspection in California. btw, why do you care about what others do with their cars?
Doubtful that this engine swap would pass carb at this stage as well, so what's the point?
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (04-14-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #114
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Why are you comparing to a kit that hasn't really been proven while there are kits out there that have already been proven for FAR cheaper?

Not to mention DI only engines are known for being unreliable because of buildup on the back of the valves.

Doubtful that this engine swap would pass carb at this stage as well, so what's the point?
actually it would pass carb if its stock,which it is. also the newer di vehicles have a natural "catch can" system built into it to defeat the carbon valve problem. i dont have a link to it but the patent was discussed on this forum.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #115
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
@SuperDave is right, but (There is always a but), the engine has to maintain all of the factory emission equipment. I don't think this kit will do that.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #116
Mark@S

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ - DGM 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Getting by BAR and CARB with this type of swap is more than just emissions equipment. Factory cats have to be in the same "position" (distance from the motor/turbo within a certain range...I forget the margin they let you work with) as it is on the factory car it came out of. This kit might not be able to do that, but wouldn't be hard to change if there is space in the proper areas. I also am not sure on the smog legality of the FMIC vs the factory TMIC. I would personally be willing to run a hood scoop with a functional TMIC, but I'm sure some would not be. I'm still interested in the viability of this swap in California. Plus OEM Turbo setups are generally much more reliable and consistent than aftermarket (and that twin scroll turbo).
Mark@S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark@S For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #117
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I doubt the modified intake system, ie the front mount intercooler will pass a visual inspection. So I ask again, why would anyone do this at this point in time? When there are thousands of these engines in the wrecking yards and the prices come down maybe but right now, no.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #118
Mark@S

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ - DGM 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think a lot of this is somewhat of a preparation for when that does happen. Give it a 2-3 years and there will be 2015+ WRX's getting wrecked left and right. Even if the cost of the swap was more than an aftermarket kit, I would still prefer this route. I have at least 2 years left on my warranty...after that it is game on.
Mark@S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark@S For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #119
Poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I doubt the modified intake system, ie the front mount intercooler will pass a visual inspection. So I ask again, why would anyone do this at this point in time? When there are thousands of these engines in the wrecking yards and the prices come down maybe but right now, no.

This. A ref would take one look at that and fail it.

It's a nice idea, but when there's bolt on CARB approved supercharger kits out there, it simply doesn't make sense cost wise.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #120
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
I don't think you guys understand what we are even talking about. @Poodles & @Dipstick-sportech
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #121
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@Dipstik-sportech & @Poodles

Why would it fail visual inspection when you could have CARB'd SC kits with front mount ICs or heat exchanger? You guys are not making any sense at all.

There are a lot of guys with LSX swapped cars getting BAR'd in CA, so it is not impossible nor as hard as some people believe it to be.
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #122
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
The FA20DIT is purpose-built to handle more power over the NA FA20, so what makes "sense" might differ from person to person. One is made to take more power, while the other isn't, but is just cheaper to trial and error, thus making it seem proven.

Plus the FA20DIT is exciting to most, while slapping on some aftermarket turbo kit to an FA20 just doesn't sound as exciting. Thus why these are TUNER cars. There are plenty of mods that don't make sense to me, but I don't crap all over them.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #123
Poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post

Why would it fail visual inspection when you could have CARB'd SC kits with front mount ICs or heat exchanger? You guys are not making any sense at all.

There are a lot of guys with LSX swapped cars getting BAR'd in CA, so it is not impossible nor as hard as some people believe it to be.

Because the entire kit went through the certification process. It's not cheap to do and it's not fast either.

California has some really stupid and shitty laws when it comes to car modifications. I've known people to not pass because they changed their vacuum lines to a different color...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #124
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post

Even CAI need to be certified for emissions compliance:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2474323

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/4th-gen-...nspection.html

If you can't retain entirely OEM equipment from the donor car then you need to have the setup tested in a lab which costs thousands of dollars and this will be done each and every car that does the swap.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Aussie (09-03-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #125
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Because the entire kit went through the certification process. It's not cheap to do and it's not fast either.

California has some really stupid and shitty laws when it comes to car modifications. I've known people to not pass because they changed their vacuum lines to a different color...
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Even CAI need to be certified for emissions compliance:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2474323

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/4th-gen-...nspection.html

If you can't retain entirely OEM equipment from the donor car then you need to have the setup tested in a lab which costs thousands of dollars and this will be done each and every car that does the swap.
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesv...cert/cert.html

Once you get that vehicle inspection sticker, the "visual" inspection you guys keep referring to is a different matter.

The visual inspection is based on YOUR car and not the model your car is based on.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #126
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I know its not that simple. My previous car was a Impreza with a swap that was actually CARB certified (California legal swap).

The wiring certainly isn't "easy" but there are people out there who can do it, and locating the intercooler and such isn't exactly something you can just bolt on.

But that adapted for the transmission is a custom piece that someone with engineering expertise had to design and figure out exactly what to do.

The REAL reason why we haven't seen this done more often, is that the Forester Turbo with the DIT engine and the WRX with the DIT engine are not exactly common and not exactly CHEAP to acquire!

I was looking into this swap back before the car even came out, and it really won't be a "common" swap for a few more years when 86's get cheap as nails and there are a lot of wrecked WRX's to get these drivetrains from (like right now, you can get 90's Subaru's for cheap and swap in WRX drivetrains for cheap because well, that stuff is old now).

PLUS there are really good turbo and supercharger kits for the twins, even some that are legal here in California. I really don't see myself spending $10k+ on a DIT swap when I can get a street legal supercharger kit for $5k and do the same thing, same with a lot of other folks.
Great insights here in this post

One caveat - WRX engines, specifically EJ205s that AREN'T JDM non-avcs, forced obso engines are not cheap and currently, are appreciating in value.

Their value currently is at least 50% more than, going off personal observations here, 3-4 years ago when one could buy a rex 205 in decent condition for around a grand and some change. The common value is now north of $1.5k
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote