follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
I have a three used in storage (~5k in miles) if you want to buy them ultra cheap. Or even just one. PM me a price and I'll send you some tread shots if you're interested. I replaced all four with Michelin PSS after I got a nail too close to the sidewall too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveft86 View Post
I just sold 2 of my tires to fellow frs owner... same problem you had nail to the tire. I would sell 1 to you for $80 with 1000 break-in period miles.
Thanks guys, appreciate the offers but already ordered a new tire through Sam's Club. My plan is to get through the summer with these tires and then order some aftermarket wheels and better tires during the winter when I'm not driving the car very often.

The real crappy part is this is the third nail/screw I've picked up in 2 months, the other 2 happened on my xB. I had to replace one tire on the xB ($132, OEM tire, mounted and balanced) and one I was able to get repaired since it was right in the middle of the tread pattern.
53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 53Driver For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (06-01-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #16
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFRZ View Post
The stock tires might not be the cheapest tires in the world (thinking of getting PSS myself), but compared to other cars on the road (looking at you, Mustang and Corvette), they are cheaper. At least there are other alternatives.
Are you sure about that? I know the Corvette tires are Pricey but my 2008 Shelby GT500 was not that bad. I replaced the fronts once and the rears twice (loved launches in that car) and the OEM tires from the dealer were costing me just shy of $250 mounted and balanced. Of course, this was a few years back so maybe prices on rubber have increased dramatically but looking at Tire Rack the 2 tire options (one is a Michelin) they have for 2008 GT500 are around $200 a tire...
53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFRZ View Post
The stock tires might not be the cheapest tires in the world (thinking of getting PSS myself), but compared to other cars on the road (looking at you, Mustang and Corvette), they are cheaper. At least there are other alternatives.
Apples and oranges. The OEM twin tires are also spec'd for Prius. It's a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire designed for max fuel economy first, handling and longevity second. I've run quite a few Prii in the fleet and 22K-24K is about average for Primacy and their wet grip is dreadful, dry grip marginal.

You'll be amazed with the improvements to the car with the PSS's. It's the tire the car should've come with. From what I've experienced, the only downside is road noise over rough surfaces. Otherwise, it's well worth the tradeoff.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #18
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've got all four of the OEM tires w/ plenty of tread left on them on the OEM wheels. I'll sell them off as soon as I get a chance to take photos showing the tread left.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 were ~$185 and 45K warranty. They are amazing.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #19
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Apples and oranges. The OEM twin tires are also spec'd for Prius. It's a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire designed for max fuel economy first, handling and longevity second. I've run quite a few Prii in the fleet and 22K-24K is about average for Primacy and their wet grip is dreadful, dry grip marginal.

You'll be amazed with the improvements to the car with the PSS's. It's the tire the car should've come with. From what I've experienced, the only downside is road noise over rough surfaces. Otherwise, it's well worth the tradeoff.
Well I'll be damned, I was wrong. Sorry about that. Title under name has changed accordingly.

Oh, definitely. I don't even have the car, I've been reading up in member's journals how they like different tires, and PSS definitely is #1. Got the mod bug and I don't even have a twin yet! That's how powerful it is..
LadyFRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:22 AM   #20
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I believe the tyres are actually the same as the Prius Sport sup'ed up hybrid sold in Japan and not the bog standard Prius at all.

They are deliberately chosen to make the car "playful" and have low grip. Not due to the compound per-say, but the size.

It's one of the things I see repeated about this car that makes me frown. Toyubaru went out of their way to break the mold of "More power, more grip" and said, "Hell lets make a car with LESS grip and LESS power and MORE FUN!", back to the old school fun of the AE86 et. al. and the good old 1980s sports cars on 185 cross ply remolds. Then people get them and slap big stickies on them and complain about low power so they up that too. I wonder if they bought the right car!

I watched a video on youtube of some Australian tuners shop who modded their GT86 with big stickies, dropped springs, engine remaps, exhaust, etc. etc. etc. Then in the video he's complaining that it won't hold a drift on a skid pan and is a bit crap. Total FAIL imho.

Out of interest. In Europe all tyres are required by law to have a euro label now. It shows the tyres tested performance for fuel economy and wet weather grip. The Primacies get an "E" for fuel economy which is poor and an "A" for wet weather grip which is rare. The PSS's have BETTER fuel economy rating, and a "B" for wet grip (in some sizes). I imagine it's the dry weather performance you buy those for though.
paulca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:32 AM   #21
paulca

Quote:

Interesting. Not according to the European tyre testing labs.

Primacies.... "E" for rolling resistance, "A" for wet weather grip.
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...n&typ=D-113237

PS3s
"E and "A". Granted these are the PS3s and not the PSS, which don't come in the right size in the UK, but are actually worse with a "C" and a "B" in some (few) sizes.
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...n&typ=R-234078

PSS (Switch to "Sizes and labelling classes" tab)
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/mich...ot-super-sport

Finally the noise level is also tested. Primacies, 70db, PSS, 71db.

For what it's worth the Prius has 195/55/R16's. It is the Prius Plus 1.8 VVT-i Hybrid that has the 215/50/R17s.

Last edited by paulca; 06-01-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #22
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
@paulca, it would be interesting to look at EU tyre labeling testing methodology. My unscientific opinion came from using both tires on the car on road and track in dry and wet conditions combined with millions of other user reviews on the popular tirerack.com site:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....yes&tab=Survey

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Primacy+HP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=GT
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #23
paulca

Quote:
@paulca, it would be interesting to look at EU tyre labeling testing methodology.
Well, yes, there is that. They are not exactly "general driving" tests.

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/...g/tyre-testing
Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #24
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Completely anecdotal and personal opinion, but I stayed stock size on my PSS, and I feel like they have just the right balance of stickiness and playfulness for my interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
I believe the tyres are actually the same as the Prius Sport sup'ed up hybrid sold in Japan and not the bog standard Prius at all.

They are deliberately chosen to make the car "playful" and have low grip. Not due to the compound per-say, but the size.

It's one of the things I see repeated about this car that makes me frown. Toyubaru went out of their way to break the mold of "More power, more grip" and said, "Hell lets make a car with LESS grip and LESS power and MORE FUN!", back to the old school fun of the AE86 et. al. and the good old 1980s sports cars on 185 cross ply remolds. Then people get them and slap big stickies on them and complain about low power so they up that too. I wonder if they bought the right car!

I watched a video on youtube of some Australian tuners shop who modded their GT86 with big stickies, dropped springs, engine remaps, exhaust, etc. etc. etc. Then in the video he's complaining that it won't hold a drift on a skid pan and is a bit crap. Total FAIL imho.

Out of interest. In Europe all tyres are required by law to have a euro label now. It shows the tyres tested performance for fuel economy and wet weather grip. The Primacies get an "E" for fuel economy which is poor and an "A" for wet weather grip which is rare. The PSS's have BETTER fuel economy rating, and a "B" for wet grip (in some sizes). I imagine it's the dry weather performance you buy those for though.
are you saying the pss are actually better for fuel efficiency?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #26
paulca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Apparently in 225/45/R18 95 ZR(Y) size. The other sizes are the same or worse.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
If you are running factory size (215/45/17). I do not think you will be able to tell the difference.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can find a lot of summer performance tires in the stock size which are much cheaper than the stock tires, and lots grippier. Some aren't even much heavier, for example... the Pilot Super Sport or the Yokohama AD08.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey For This Useful Post:
53Driver (06-02-2014)