follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #393
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light, for those who installed the lcd themselves, does lcd clamp into place somehow? Or is glueing required? If just clamps into place I think I'll save myself 60$ and do it myself.
@akuhei
Basically, inside the vent has 2 pieces, one that has 2 vent slots and one that is just one, which together create the 3 pieces you can use to angle and direct the heat/ac. They are just held in with a little pin on each side. so you remove the one that has 2 vent slots and put in the gauge. Its really simple and becomes apparent as soon as you pull the vent out and start to take it apart to put the gauge in. I would recommend doing it yourself, its a pretty easy mod to do.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #394
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Just got mine today looks cool. No instructions on the wiring and so fourth, looks straight forward enough. Did anyone do a DIY for review before I climb into it to not miss anything? I always just like to look b4 doing anything is all. By looks being NA now only need to somehow connect the green wire for dimmer, but no clear indication as it has pre crimped tab on it as well as where to route from the vent tube assembly etc..
Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #395
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Drives: FA20Club.com
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
here is a diagram courtesy of a forum member

Old 11-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #396
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@FA20Club View Post
here is a diagram courtesy of a forum member
None of those wires will work for the dimmer. I believe the only wire that you can use for the dimmer wire is the one going into the back of the stereo headunit. I tried using the wires near the dimmer switch with no success. @Sportsguy83 can probably confirm.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #397
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
None of those wires will work for the dimmer. I believe the only wire that you can use for the dimmer wire is the one going into the back of the stereo headunit. I tried using the wires near the dimmer switch with no success. @Sportsguy83 can probably confirm.

Yes, if the gauge is looking for a 12V input, the ILL + (or I'LL- depending on what the gauge wants) should work for dimming. Although IIRC, @Foobar tried it for the P3 gauge with no success.

If this post has mistakes, blame Autocorrect
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #398
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Yes, if the gauge is looking for a 12V input, the ILL + (or I'LL- depending on what the gauge wants) should work for dimming. Although IIRC, @Foobar tried it for the P3 gauge with no success.

The P3 gauge dimming function isn't a variable dimmer, so you won't want to connect it to any of the ILL wires. It's basically senses a 12 volt input, on or off. If on, it will go into a pre-defined static dimmed setting. If off, it will remain in full bright setting.

This being the case, if you connect the green P3 wire to some wire that gets power when your lights are on, you'll be good to go. In Andy's illustration above, the pink parking light wire would do it. Note that that bundle is a pain in the ass to work with given the tight confines and shielding around everything. You'll most likely have to strip some shielding to free up the wires, or get to it from the other side of that harness, towards the firewall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Andy@FA20Club (11-15-2013), King Tut (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #399
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
The P3 gauge dimming function isn't a variable dimmer, so you won't want to connect it to any of the ILL wires. It's basically senses a 12 volt input, on or off. If on, it will go into a pre-defined static dimmed setting. If off, it will remain in full bright setting.

This being the case, if you connect the green P3 wire to some wire that gets power when your lights are on, you'll be good to go.
The ILL wire from the radio is 12V ON-OFF, non adjustable.

The ones that do not work because of the above are the ones from the car dimming switch.

That being said you are correct, any wire that has 12V when lights are on will work.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #400
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post

This being the case, if you connect the green P3 wire to some wire that gets power when your lights are on, you'll be good to go. In Andy's illustration above, the pink parking light wire would do it. Note that that bundle is a pain in the ass to work with given the tight confines and shielding around everything. You'll most likely have to strip some shielding to free up the wires, or get to it from the other side of that harness, towards the firewall.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #401
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
The ILL wire from the radio is 12V ON-OFF, non adjustable.

The ones that do not work because of the above are the ones from the car dimming switch.

Ah good to know - that should work then. For some reason I thought that the headunit had variable dimming lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #402
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Copied from the other P3Cars thread

Auto-Dimming

I didn't get a chance to tidy up my install but essentially the wire I labeled as the positive (+) trigger parking lights is where you want to tap into (i.e. military splice) with the green wire from the P3Cars gauge.

Once done, go into the gauge configuration settings and change the dimmer setting to "On.A" then hold the right button to save the option (you gauge will then reset).

Now when you turn on the lights, or your lights come on automatically, the gauge will dim.

Bright

Dim

Video showing the transition between bright and dim

View P3Cars Gauge Video
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Andy@FA20Club (11-15-2013)

Closed Thread

Tags
gauge, p3cars