follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Verus Engineering Brake Cooling Kit

We wanted to design an OEM like installed cooling kit that maximizes cooling with as short of routing as possible. We also wanted to ensure it fit both big brake rotors and stock rotors alike. Doing our best to keep cost a forefront thought, we set into designing the kit you see below.

We created two kits:
-A backing plate DIY kit which includes the backing plates and hardware to attach to the knuckles and then the end user will build the rest of the kit.
-A full installed kit which includes everything from the fog light duct to the backing plates. This does require OEM or similar fog light covers to be used.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.VzmA3_krLIU

Kit components

Backing plate with carbon pre-preg duct.

Injection molded fender liner duct and fog light duct

All hardware for a seamless install, including pre-cut brake duct hoses and steering rack limiter kit. The only thing needed for an install is an OEM type fog light surround.

Backing Plate Kit Installed

Installed with AP Sprint

Full Kit Installed:

FAQ:

My wheels already hit my fender liner, how can your kit fit without rubbing?
-We include a steering rack limiter kit in each kit. While this slightly increases turning radius, it will allow your wheel/tire/suspension setup of choice to clear the fender duct.

Which BBK will this fit?
-The backing plate installs very close to the knuckle, we foresee no issues with any BBK. We have only run into one issue when installing whiteline's RCA on a car with AP Sprints, the front LCA is closer to the rotor than the 50 thousandth thick backing plate. As long as the LCA to rotor surface is larger than 60 thousandths, the backing plate will fit with the rotors.

What else do I need to install the kit?
-OEM or similar style fog light cover. We recommend OEM Subaru and Scion if possible.

Does this require the removal of the windshield fluid reservoir?
-Yes

Last edited by VerusEric; 08-16-2017 at 09:28 PM.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-16-2016), GT86_PRAGUE (06-16-2016), Hyper4mance2k (05-19-2016), JDKane527 (05-16-2016), R2RO (06-09-2016), Sleepless (05-16-2016), solidONE (05-16-2016), SpartaEvolution (09-20-2017)
Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #2
VerusEric

Testing and Functionality

Testing and Functionality

Video Data:
Using tuft testing we were able to visualize the flow and effectiveness of the inlet into the brake duct kit as well as the backing plate and carbon duct through the internal rotor vanes.

Fig. 1: Test setup for tuft testing.

Video is available for viewing here:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u090pxKTs9c"]Velox Motorsports Brake Cooling Kit R&D - YouTube[/ame]

Thermal Imaging:
Using thermal imaging, we were able to test four conditions with the brake cooling kit. To keep the tests consistent, the passenger side had the full brake kit installed while the driver’s side was left OEM.

What is thermal imaging and how does it work?

Objects emit infrared energy based on a function of their temperature, also known as heat. This energy is referred to the objects heat signature. Generally, the hotter an object is, the more energy the object emits. A thermal imager (camera) is a heat sensor that is capable of detecting these differences in infrared energy or heat. These units collect the radiation from the viewing area and create electronic images based off this information and temperature differences. The unit we are using has a 330 degree C max temperature reading with an accuracy of +/- 1 degree C.

Testing Strategy:

Two control tests were mapped out that we believe accurately depicts the abilities of the duct kit in two severe cases and two cool down cases. Two speeds were tested, a 40 MPH low speed test, and a 75 MPH high speed test. This was to map out two different airflow rates, higher vehicle speeds translates to more airflow into the brake rotor via our kit. At each speed we tested two cases, a severe braking case and a cool down case. The severe braking case involved power braking with an engine load of 1.0 (constant load between the two tests) for 1 mile straight. The cool down case involved driving the same road the opposite direction with using as little brake as possible. At the end of each case, we would quickly gather thermal images of the brake rotor. In between the 40 MPH low speed test and the 75 MPH high speed test, we ensure the brake rotors equalized in temperature.

Please note time and date stamp added from the thermal image camera, pictures were taken within 30 seconds of one another.

Thermal Image Data:

Figure 2: Control before initial 40 MPH test, rotors are within 4 degrees C of one another.

Figure 3: Hot readings directly after power braking for a mile.

Figure 4: Cold readings directly after driving one mile at 40MPH with minimal brake use.

Fig. 5: Control 2 showing rotors have leveled out in temperature after 12 minutes.

Figure 6: Hot readings directly after power braking at 75 MPH for 1 mile.

Figure 7: Temperature taken after 2.0 miles driving at 75 MPH with minimal brake use.

Numerical Data:

Figure 8: Numerical data from Thermal Images

Conclusion:

Via tuft testing and thermal image testing it’s quite clear that the brake cooling kit is highly effective even when used with the OEM rotors which have quite small vanes when compared to those of big brake kits. Smaller vanes will reduce flow and cooling due to the smaller vane size.

With the brake cooling kit, the rotors remained much cooler directly after applying the brakes as well as after a short drive without using the brakes. It is also apparent that at high rates of speed, the brake cooling kit does significantly more than at lower speeds. This makes a lot of sense as the kit works by using frontal ambient air and funneling it into the center of the rotor. At higher speeds, pressure and flow rates are greater than at low speeds.

We have heard reports back from customers tracking their cars having reduced brake fade, reduced rotor cracking, improved pad wear, and reduced brake fluid boiling. As a result, this is a great kit to help keep brake components at an appropriate temperature during competition and/or track days.

Last edited by VerusEric; 05-18-2016 at 03:12 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-16-2016), DAEMANO (05-16-2016), FirstWinter (05-16-2016), gramicci101 (05-16-2016), GT86_PRAGUE (06-16-2016), Hyper4mance2k (05-19-2016), JDKane527 (05-16-2016), johan (05-16-2016), kch (05-16-2016), Racecomp Engineering (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@VeloxEric: have you considered of making alternative set, with duct intakes behind rad grill instead of using foglight intakes for those, that don't wish to sacrifice fog lights of top trim to replace them with brake air duct? I'm thinking of something like in this kit. I guess, only similar intakes + maybe different length front hoses will be needed to customize existing kit?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Harvie1031 (05-17-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@VeloxEric: have you considered of making alternative set, with duct intakes behind rad grill instead of using foglight intakes for those, that don't wish to sacrifice fog lights of top trim to replace them with brake air duct? I'm thinking of something like in this kit. I guess, only similar intakes + maybe different length front hoses will be needed to customize existing kit?
Not currently, the tooling to create these were quite expensive by themselves. If we see enough demand for it we'll look into it but currently the two above kits are what we are and will be producing for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'll be ordering a set! Do you expect any interferences with the stoptech 355mm BBK?
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Does this require the removal of the windshield fluid reservoir?
-Yes
Is the reservoir replaced or modified?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I'll be ordering a set! Do you expect any interferences with the stoptech 355mm BBK?
We don't foresee any issues.

Also forgot to mention. I am accepting tips for cutting the brake duct hoses to size !!! For those that have worked with it in the past... they know what kind of a chore that is . I have more hours in cutting that hose than packaging the rest of the kit.

Also, YouTube video is up: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u090pxKTs9c"]Velox Motorsports Brake Cooling Kit R&D - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
Is the reservoir replaced or modified?
Currently just removed and left off. Most of the guys installing these either have them removed already (turbo kit) or don't want the weight due to tracking / racing.

*If we see enough want, we can make a bolt in solution for this. We learned a lot about blow injection molding through this project and can whip something up if the need is there.* There are a few other options on the market currently as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
JDKane527 (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Is there any way to make the FRS kit work without removing the washer fluid reservoir?
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
djdnz (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Currently just removed and left off. Most of the guys installing these either have them removed already (turbo kit) or don't want the weight due to tracking / racing.

*If we see enough want, we can make a bolt in solution for this. We learned a lot about blow injection molding through this project and can whip something up if the need is there.* There are a few other options on the market currently as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Is there any way to make the FRS kit work without removing the washer fluid reservoir?
The KW SC kit includes a smaller reservoir, and some others on here have contacted them and were able to purchase the reservoir a la carte.
@VeloxEric, are there any pictures of the driver side hose routing?
Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I have a way of doing this using the Velox kit. However, I'm currently waiting for my order of brake duct hose so it is unfinished. Check out my build thread. You could also go one step further and order ducts from summit racing and zip tie them to the grill like the touge factory kit. My grill has been removed.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website

Last edited by Takumi788; 05-16-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I didn't read the part where I have to remove the wiper reservoir - that's a no-go for me. Can we see the routing through there?
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
VerusEric

Quote:
No, the washer fluid reservoir nearly rides on the fender liner, no way a 3" hose can fit by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
The KW SC kit includes a smaller reservoir, and some others on here have contacted them and were able to purchase the reservoir a la carte.
@VeloxEric, are there any pictures of the driver side hose routing?
No, I'll work on getting some. It looks identical to the passenger side though. There is no way you'll be getting anything around the washer fluid reservoir. It's massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I didn't read the part where I have to remove the wiper reservoir - that's a no-go for me. Can we see the routing through there?
The routing is the same as the passenger side but I'll work on getting some. There are options out there currently and if people are interested in another bolt in reservoir that isn't massive, we can work on that as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
JDKane527 (05-16-2016), johan (05-16-2016), wparsons (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
PTuning also makes a smaller windshield washer reservoir. http://www.ptuning.com/subdir/itemde...&ModelDesc=FRS

Zeal86 made his own with a universal bottle. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2143421
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
JDKane527 (05-16-2016), Ro_Ja (05-16-2016)