follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #253
MeehowsBRZ
Banned

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
You can easily get a 2014 for under $27k now brand new. Yes, its a base but it's not like you're getting anything fancy with the FR-S and the BRZ only has a few frills. Now is the time to do it if you're set on the Z.

That's not true. The BRZ comes standard with nav, but if you want that with a Z you have to buy a touring model AND add a navigation package. That's a $38,230 MSRP. Even if they drop the price $3k its still almost $10k more after taxes then my car was.
MeehowsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #254
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ View Post
That's not true. The BRZ comes standard with nav, but if you want that with a Z you have to buy a touring model AND add a navigation package. That's a $38,230 MSRP. Even if they drop the price $3k its still almost $10k more after taxes then my car was.
Hence why I compared it to the FR-S and said the BRZ only has a few frills. Also, if you pay MSRP, you're ignorant. With the Z cars, you shouldn't pay a dime over invoice since the new ones are rolling out soon.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #255
Jaylyons1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Torsen limited slip. Bluetooth. Those are two important ones.

That said, I like the 370z. It's not a bad car. Just a lot heavier than I'd want. But if you're ok with its weight, it's a good time to buy with the price drop.
Yea, the LSD is the biggie for me. Does the FR-S base radio have bluetooth? Personally, I couldn't care less about blue tooth as talking on the phone while driving isn't the brightest thing in the world to do. But some people need it I guess.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #256
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hence why I compared it to the FR-S and said the BRZ only has a few frills. Also, if you pay MSRP, you're ignorant. With the Z cars, you shouldn't pay a dime over invoice since the new ones are rolling out soon.
If you want a Z....you should be shopping for a 2014 Mustang. Should be able to get a GT for mid 20s right now.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #257
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yea, the LSD is the biggie for me. Does the FR-S base radio have bluetooth? Personally, I couldn't care less about blue tooth as talking on the phone while driving isn't the brightest thing in the world to do. But some people need it I guess.
Yep the FR-S base radio has BT. Not the greatest in terms of functionality, but the call/voice quality is great -- even with my exhaust. I sometimes need to take calls on the road, so it works out well for me.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Jaylyons1 (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #258
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobcake View Post
god just look at that beefy rear end..

I really have never liked the rear end on the 370/350z. It looks swollen, and something just seems a bit off about it. In some ways, it kind of looks like someone took a skinny, somewhat tallish car and then added enormous fender flares in an effort to make it feel "aggressive" and "sporty". It's not a bad car to drive, but I just can't get over the looks...
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #259
Jaylyons1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
If you want a Z....you should be shopping for a 2014 Mustang. Should be able to get a GT for mid 20s right now.
Yea, I have seen them going for around $24k. Best time to buy a Mustang too. I considered one but I just can't drive something that is everywhere. If too many twins start popping up in my neck of the woods I'll probably jump over to a S5 or M3 again.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #260
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobcake View Post
I love the Z, still haven't made my mind to get a brz or the Z (2 different cars i know). 330 horses right out the box and it came with the synchro rev match that would blip the throttle for you(feature can be turned off) I think its been untouched performance wise since 09 and still holds up as a modern day sports car..god just look at that beefy rear end..
I was in a similar position and went for the Z, for a multitude of reasons.

In case you come back to read this thread, here are my 2c. I of course own a z so know it better since I have driven it orders of magnitude more:

The 2 cars are fairly different, so you should decide what's more important for you and go from there. In my view, they both were designed with different goals in mind, and both perform very well to their design goals.

The 370z was designed to be a budget sports car, to have track times that rival cars much more expensive. The ft86 was designed to be a fun car to drive with a focus on the driving experience. It was designed to be a fun, toss-able car that is very forgiving to the driver.

So the 370z, has gobs of power and torque. It has a stiff chassis and is fairly heavy because the budget price doesn't let it go exotic. It has gobs of tire and gobs of grip and puts out big lateral acceleration, puts down power well post apex and is a very stable car. Because of this though, it is perhaps too stable, and doesn't really do anything at sane driving speeds or street driving speeds.

The ft86 on the other hand is the opposite, especially the frs more so than the brz(with its softer rear suspension). It is lightweight, with a low center of gravity, so it is a very nimble flickable car. It has thin tires that stay stable through high slip-angles making it a very fun car to let loose and over-rotate and practice steering adjustment. Things like speed with which you turn in and throttle adjustments have a relatively large impact on what happens to the car, so it feels very responsive. It also doesn't really have too much power to get you bent out of shape, but enough to break loose the thin tires at low to medium speeds. But conversely its track times are nothing to write home about.

The kind of amusing thing is, though, that track times are probably somewhat overrated, especially if you track. They're mostly for bragging rights, and for feeling good about yourself for passing expensive cars in a DE setting. All track times really gets you is it gets you thrown into a higher starting class for time-trials or autoX.

Other things to consider: ft86 gets better mileage. hp is probably nicer for daily driving than tracking. you may really want to have rear seats. if you have the funds you may want a nicer leather interior. torsens are nicer than VLSDs. And of course subjective looks is always important, especially for car enthusiasts.

The 2013+ mustang GT, especially with the track package is also an interesting car to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
My auto does that, you need a manual stick to have the computer figure it out for you?

What do you mean by untouched performance wise?

If you can't decide, get the Z because that means you don't appreciate what the BRZ is about.
Sheesh, I don't understand why people get so butt-hurt about other cars on this forum. Yes, you're on this forum because you like the ft86. Yes, it's a great car for some reasons, but it's not like the ultimate car or anything.

I can and do heel toe, and I still mostly leave the synchro rev match on. It is very convenient, especially for daily driving when you're not downshifting to red-line. The computer is sadly just so much better than humans, and it saves me wear on my clutch. If you think the driving experience on a torque-converter paddle shifter is anything like a manual with snychro rev match you are sorely mistaken.

The 370z is great performance for its price, if by performance you mean road course times. Sadly, it's hard to find good lap times to compare, because so few pro-drivers have logged lap times in the 370z

If you look at the amateur level though, the 370z is very well regarded. Look at the time trial categories for NASA, the 370z starts out as TTB + 14 points. The step just right below TT123.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/time_trial_rules.pdf (page 19+)

cars that are similar price and similar or better category is basically the mustang GT, camaro SS, wrx sti, and evo x mr.

But again, what do track times get you? You just compete with faster cars :/ It does get you a different driving experience at the track though. A lot of people have fun flying through corners in their miatas and put-putting it down the straights. Others like to drag race it down the straights. Other like to rocket out of corners with their 4wd. why can't we appreciate the diversity.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to totopo For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (05-21-2014), DarkSunrise (05-21-2014), jeffchap (05-21-2014), juliog (05-21-2014), raven1231 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #261
HercMax

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well said totopo. You are a pillar of car culture maturity.
HercMax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HercMax For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #262
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Apples to Apples

Why hasn't anyone here do an apple to apple comparison? I went to nissan's website and did it for you all on a pdf.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 370z comparison.pdf (56.1 KB, 118 views)
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #263
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
Why hasn't anyone here do an apple to apple comparison? I went to nissan's website and did it for you all on a pdf.
That is such a joke. More than half of the items that are marked "Nissan Advantage" are wrong or of dubious value.

The Z is bigger, and has no back seats, and that's an advantage?

Turning radius has no standard (yes, that's weird, but there is no agreed upon SAE standard for measuring it so it's not a useful datapoint).

The twins don't have any digital data readouts? Really? Huh, I wonder what Nissan would call the speedometer, gear and gear change indicators, trip meter, odometer, temperature, etc. if not digital?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #264
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
Outside of the HP and Torque I really don't see any "advantages" to the Z.

Although HP and Torque can be a compelling advantage to some.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Boxer486 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #265
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Nissan has announced pricing for the unchanged 2014 370Z (reference Autoblog for more info) and the big news is that the base price has been lowered $3130, new base price being $29,900.

332hp
270 lb-ft torque
3278 lb curb weight (still 500+ lbs heavier than our cars - ridiculous!)

What you guys think? Seems like this makes the 370Z a legitimate competitor for the Twins (or at least more than before).

No its not a sports/performance car without LSD, poser.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #266
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post

I really have never liked the rear end on the 370/350z. It looks swollen, and something just seems a bit off about it. In some ways, it kind of looks like someone took a skinny, somewhat tallish car and then added enormous fender flares in an effort to make it feel "aggressive" and "sporty". It's not a bad car to drive, but I just can't get over the looks...
I completely agree. I've never understood what anyone sees in that car aesthetically. It just looks bloated and awful IMO. Wouldn't even consider buying one unless they did a drastic overhaul of the body.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to was385 For This Useful Post:
Boxer486 (05-21-2014)