follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
Donovan34

Drives: 2014 Turbo Monogram Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Over boosted - Jdl Turbo Kit. Engine Knock. R

Hey Guys, my car recently got the jdl uel Turbo installed from a performance shop. After getting my car back I started to notice oil spitting out of the bov. Which then I found out the reason was because they rerouted everything wrong, because my car is an auto. So I brought it back to the shop and told them what happened they said they would fix it for free. 2 weeks pass and I get a call saying after they did all the rerouting they took out the car to make sure everything was in working order but then he tells me the car overboosted, I have 9.4 spring inside the wastegate it jumps all the way to 25psi and cause my engine to knock.Keep in mind I havent touch the car in 2 weeks. Im trying now to understand how it could of overboosted? The only thing that came to mind is the wastegate being routed wrong or the wastegate hose being disconnected. So is that the only way a turbo can overboost? Are there any other factors? Who at fault the shop? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for any grammar mistakes.
Donovan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan34 View Post
Hey Guys, my car recently got the jdl uel Turbo installed from a performance shop. After getting my car back I started to notice oil spitting out of the bov. Which then I found out the reason was because they rerouted everything wrong, because my car is an auto. So I brought it back to the shop and told them what happened they said they would fix it for free. 2 weeks pass and I get a call saying after they did all the rerouting they took out the car to make sure everything was in working order but then he tells me the car overboosted, I have 9.4 spring inside the wastegate it jumps all the way to 25psi and cause my engine to knock.Keep in mind I havent touch the car in 2 weeks. Im trying now to understand how it could of overboosted? The only thing that came to mind is the wastegate being routed wrong or the wastegate hose being disconnected. So is that the only way a turbo can overboost? Are there any other factors? Who at fault the shop? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for any grammar mistakes.
what shop did the work and yes they should be buying you a new motor
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
gtengr (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 AM   #3
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Geez - something this bad... I'd recommend finding a new shop and tuner to work on your car!!!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
wastegate jammed stuck or incorrectly adjusted, actuator fouling on hoses or other parts etc

you would think they would have set up overboost protection via map sensor to shut engine down via tune/ecu if oveboost occurred
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-21-2017), Irace86.2.0 (10-29-2020), Trust86 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How many miles did the shop put on the car?
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Donovan34

Yeah I don’t know how much miles they put on the car. And yeah there terrible but I feel like there going to try to get out of fixing it. My car was running prefectly fine when I drop it off besides that oil spitting out so will see if they try to make excuses.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You paid this ship to install the kit and they did it wrong, then you took it back and they blew the engine. You could easily take this to small claims court and win if they refuse to fix it. Don't be suckered into paying half of what it cost to fix either, they need to make you whole again. What likely happened is they beat the piss out of it after fixing it and then blew the engine.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
You paid this ship to install the kit and they did it wrong, then you took it back and they blew the engine. You could easily take this to small claims court and win if they refuse to fix it. Don't be suckered into paying half of what it cost to fix either, they need to make you whole again. What likely happened is they beat the piss out of it after fixing it and then blew the engine.
The repairs will add up more than the max value you can claim in small claims. I would look into some type of criminal charge like Fraud or property damage.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
Donovan34

Update: Looks like the shop is making excuses or just doesn’t know what there doing. I contact both JDL and James (hri tuning). First the tune has overboost protection so he shouldn’t have overboosted in the first place. Here the shop said in response what they think it is “ I did look over everything again the other day. Everything is hooked up properly. The only thing I am seeing that could be the problem is the fact that the wastegate spring was probably too much for the map sensor parameters in the tune.” Which absolutely makes no sense at all. When I talk to jdl they told me there no one it should of over boosted all the way to 25 unless someone was just WOT it which on untune car you’re not suppose to. So I’m going try to be civil with them to get it fix but if they don’t then I will take legal action.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
brandonleetran

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
I know this is 3 years ago, but I was curious what happened?
brandonleetran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonleetran For This Useful Post:
WildCard600 (10-28-2020)