follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #57
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxr View Post
Sorry for the unscientific temp data, but the OBD doesn't get the data and I don't have an aftermarket gauge. The pic can give you perspective.

Well put together kit and meaningful decrease in temps. That's a win in my book!
Glad to hear a win report, I just ordered the Jackson Racing Dual Rad Oil Cooler after my track event this past weekend. I was able to pull the oil temperature data via OBD using the data logging in Harry's Laptimer. I was using a PLX Kiwi3, and Harry's picked up the correct PID.

Have you tried scanning the PIDs and identifying which one it is so you can manually select when setting up data logging?
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #58
bmxr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP WR Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you hold the right/center button, you can change the scaling for more resolution!

Thanks, I forgot to do that! It defaulted back to what you see when I unplugged the battery...

Last edited by bmxr; 05-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.
bmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #59
bmxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzudien View Post
Just don't try and get any customer service from Jackson Racing, pointless to even try.

My experience was a little lukewarm... I called them and asked two things:

1) One of the fittings was weeping a little, and I asked for torque settings for everything and if I should use a sealant like Permatex for a persistent leak. Oddly, the instructions call for a torque wrench, but the only torque setting listed in the entire instruction document is for the horn mount bolt. (huh?)

Their answers - Sealant should not be needed. Fair enough. They don't have any torque settings because all joints have O-rings and if I don't understand o-rings, I should take it to a mechanic. Huh?

2) I asked them for full set of spare O-rings for the kit, so I can keep spares in my toolbox, as I do for everything I touch.

Their answer - (Paraphrasing) "We could sell you O-rings but you don't need them." I repeated that I like to have spares in my toolbox so I don't get stranded at the track. They never answered back on a price or sent them. I guess I should follow up. Again.

Last edited by bmxr; 05-15-2018 at 03:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmxr For This Useful Post:
Azzudien (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #60
bmxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Glad to hear a win report, I just ordered the Jackson Racing Dual Rad Oil Cooler after my track event this past weekend. I was able to pull the oil temperature data via OBD using the data logging in Harry's Laptimer. I was using a PLX Kiwi3, and Harry's picked up the correct PID.

Have you tried scanning the PIDs and identifying which one it is so you can manually select when setting up data logging?

Nice! I use Harry's and a Kiwi, too! I read on the Harry's forum that there was no way to get the data from the oil temp sensor. I don't know how to do a scan, but at least I know the solution is out there. Have you got a link or some hints as to how to do the scan?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #61
Tristor

Garage
That's a disappointing experience. It looks like Jackson Racing makes some great high quality parts, so I've been putting them at the top of my list. While I rarely have had a need to reach out to customer service, I'd hope I get a better response than that.

Quote:
Nice! I use Harry's and a Kiwi, too! I read on the Harry's forum that there was no way to get the data from the oil temp sensor. I don't know how to do a scan, but at least I know the solution is out there. Have you got a link or some hints as to how to do the scan?
In Harry's I didn't have to do a scan, it picked it up based on my vehicle profile and correctly tagged the sensors in the log. I had to dump the raw CSV out of Harry's though to get oil temperature as the analysis in the app only lists coolant temperature. I imported the CSV into Excel and used that to do my own analysis.

Last edited by Tristor; 05-15-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding additional reply
Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #62
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
That's a disappointing experience. It looks like Jackson Racing makes some great high quality parts, so I've been putting them at the top of my list. While I rarely have had a need to reach out to customer service, I'd hope I get a better response than that.

In Harry's I didn't have to do a scan, it picked it up based on my vehicle profile and correctly tagged the sensors in the log. I had to dump the raw CSV out of Harry's though to get oil temperature as the analysis in the app only lists coolant temperature. I imported the CSV into Excel and used that to do my own analysis.
Purchase from CSG, and reach out to CSG when you need support.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Azzudien (05-16-2018), Icecreamtruk (05-15-2018), Tristor (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #63
Tristor

Garage
Quote:
For sure, that's exactly what I did. I put in the order just late last night
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-15-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #64
bmxr

Quote:

FWIW, I will do that in the future. I ordered mine last minute and needed it shipped same day. They had it in stock. Thanks for your input on the forum!

Last edited by bmxr; 05-16-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #65
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, I will post something more thorough but just to add to this thread, I installed the JR NA cooler on my car last week and did an HPDE event at Homestead Saturday. I had no major issues with the install or instructions. The new kit clears the '17 airbox and the whole thing looks pretty close to OEM, especially behind the grill. Most importantly, the cooler is very effective. Temps (per the stock temp gauge) at Homestead and Sebring previously, short shifting somewhat, had been past the "270" mark (maybe 280-290). Temps last weekend at Homestead never got to halfway between "190" and "270" (230-ish?). Sorry for the unscientific temp data, but the OBD doesn't get the data and I don't have an aftermarket gauge. The pic can give you perspective - taken after a 25 minute session on a warm, humid day, once I stopped in the garage.

Well put together kit and meaningful decrease in temps. That's a win in my book!
I'm glad you got everything in time and we made it in time for your track day!

In regards to our email exchange:

1-
Torque Wrench: All of our instructions start off with standard warnings and generic tools list that we edit from there. Technically there is the horn bolt with torque, so we include the torque wrench as a requirement.

O-Rings: Understand that we have customers of all types installing our products. Some are not as mechanically inclined as you have proven to be.

2-
You can certainly order spares and I can understand the desire to have an extra o-ring or two in your toolbox. The new NA Oil Cooler uses a new O-ring design compared to the older "square" o-ring style. It can take continued abuse much better. It looks like your email discussion was marked complete, but it should not have based on the original email asking the price. I will shoot you an email now.

-Oscar Jr.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #66
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I just ordered my NA 2017+ kit and am a bit worried about bumper sag after the install. Are there any proven solutions that don't require any serious modification to the bumper?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #67
bmxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
I'm glad you got everything in time and we made it in time for your track day!

In regards to our email exchange:

1-
Torque Wrench: All of our instructions start off with standard warnings and generic tools list that we edit from there. Technically there is the horn bolt with torque, so we include the torque wrench as a requirement.

O-Rings: Understand that we have customers of all types installing our products. Some are not as mechanically inclined as you have proven to be.

2-
You can certainly order spares and I can understand the desire to have an extra o-ring or two in your toolbox. The new NA Oil Cooler uses a new O-ring design compared to the older "square" o-ring style. It can take continued abuse much better. It looks like your email discussion was marked complete, but it should not have based on the original email asking the price. I will shoot you an email now.

-Oscar Jr.

Definitely did a good job getting the kit to me quickly. Thanks again. I appreciate the follow up and offering to get me the O-rings.

As it turns out, I do have the oil temps logged. There was a 36F degree reduction in max temp on a day that was 10 degrees hotter (80F vs 70F). I'd say that pretty darn effective; maybe too effective for a stock engine? (can of worms LOL )
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #68
bmxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
I just ordered my NA 2017+ kit and am a bit worried about bumper sag after the install. Are there any proven solutions that don't require any serious modification to the bumper?

The Jackson kit takes no modification to the bumper, bumper cover, or any other part. It's a complete bolt-on operation. It mounts to the actual (steel) bumper under the cover, which does not bend. The mounting location is especially good for track use, given that if you take a trip through the dirt at some point, you are a lot less likely to tear up the cooler mounted to the bumper than if it was mounted to the undertray.

Are you thinking of the Perrin kit?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmxr For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-18-2018), Jackson Racing (05-21-2018), ZionsWrath (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #69
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hey, any recommendations for a block off?

Been DDing mine for a week now and I know from previous oil temp monitoring it does not get up the temp DDing. I haven't DD it since I got the cooler so would always do some pulls to get it up when I was out. Right now I am shifting at 4k minimum and keeping RPM between 3-4k when crusing, not going into 6th gear ever. A/C use also dramatically drops temps particularly at idle.

Right now I am using a cut out cereal box and painters tape. The way it has been raining it probably fell off by now.

I was thinking cut out a piece of plastic and duct tape/large zip ties. Would a zip lock bag plastic be strong enough/not melt or do I need something else.

I might just disconnect it for the time being and zip tie the adapter in a bag in the engine bay so I don't have to remove the whole thing.

Edit: If I recall my oil temps on the street were 180-190, and 160-170 with air con, less than 170 with air con at a stop. That is just my best recollection Need to run torque app again
Old 05-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #70
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
The Jackson kit takes no modification to the bumper, bumper cover, or any other part. It's a complete bolt-on operation. It mounts to the actual (steel) bumper under the cover, which does not bend. The mounting location is especially good for track use, given that if you take a trip through the dirt at some point, you are a lot less likely to tear up the cooler mounted to the bumper than if it was mounted to the undertray.

Are you thinking of the Perrin kit?
Right, I understand that there is no modification related to the cooler itself. I'm more talking about the common issue where the BRZ/86/FR-S bumpers sag once you remove them and reinstall them just once. Curious if that's still an issue, and if there are any good solutions?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote