follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #57
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
YOUTUBE = BEST HOWTO's
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #58
BootpTraphik
loading in progress

Drives: Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I bought my Genesis, I had never driven a manual before, other than the random times driving a friends car or driving tractors. Lets just say I had to learn fairly quickly. Once you challenge yourself by giving your self no other choice, you learn quickly. Driving a manual sports car pays dividends and keeps you in tune with the car. Don't sweat it, just go for it.

As long as the tranny in the 86 is better than the 6 speed in the Genesis (which has the worst 6 speed tranny ever) you should have no problems! Seriously, I've driven trucks and tractors that shift smoother than Hyundai's "excuse for a manual" 6 speed LOL. Driving it can be a futile battle of patience, or a rewarding experience, depending on the ambient temperature and the relative position of the moon in the night sky.

Resident GenCoupe lurker and FT-86 fan
BootpTraphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #59
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspooner View Post
I just got back from test driving a few cars so that when the BRZ comes out I'll be ready to buy. I drove an MX-5 Miata, a Mazda Speed 3, a GTI, a Civic Si, and finally a Mini Cooper S. All manual transmissions. I had no problems when driving most of the cars. I am new to driving a stick, but have had a few lessons and some practice. Once I got to the Mini, I had nothing but problems starting it. I was very embarrassed, as the dealer ended up taking over half way through the test drive because I had so many problems. It seemed that I would either squeal the tiers or stall out on every start. I am worried now that the BRZ will be similar since the transmission is supposed to be very aggressive. Any advice?

Anybody who has driven either a BRZ or FR-S, what is the transmission most similar too?

Thanks in advance...now off to find some one who will let me practice driving more...

im gonna guess your pretty young? also my cousin had a mini...its a whole different transmission...comparing from a euro to japanese car isn't the same....if i would guess on having almost the same transmission as thebrz/86 "feeling" i would say s2000...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #60
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86design View Post
im gonna guess your pretty young? also my cousin had a mini...its a whole different transmission...comparing from a euro to japanese car isn't the same....if i would guess on having almost the same transmission as thebrz/86 "feeling" i would say s2000...
I'm 29, but just haven't had a chance to learn to drive a manual until last spring. I am sure the BRZ will be fine. When I originally posted on Saturday I had just gotten back from the awful test drive.
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #61
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm 29, but just haven't had a chance to learn to drive a manual until last spring. I am sure the BRZ will be fine. When I originally posted on Saturday I had just gotten back from the awful test drive.
i c....I didn't mean it in a bad way...i am also 29 but learned manual when i was 15...just curious is this your first sports car?

just my 2 cents...but try find a friend or family member that has a manual car, that would help out a lot
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #62
cmspooner

Garage
I owned a half-dead '85 BMW 318i. I learned how to drive a manual last year when I found out that the driving teacher at my school, I'm a high school technology and pre-engineering teacher, taught students how to drive a stick as part of his course. I asked and he showed me one day after school. I then drove a friends Chevy Aveo a couple of times with very few problems. Once I decided to buy a manual for my next vehicle My aunt took me out in her CRV for a few hours and I became fairly confident.

I then started test driving. On one day I took a Mazdaspeed 3, a Miata, and a v6 Mustang out. The two mazdas were great, especially the Miata. I had some trouble with the Mustang, but was still able to drive it. Last Saturday I drove the Civic Si and the VW GTI and had no issues at all. The Mini has been the only car that I have had a problem with, and I basically failed at driving it altogether. From what has been said, the BRZ should be more like the Mazdas then anything else; so I should have no issues...I still wonder why I had such an issue with the Mini, but it wasn't really the style I was looking for anyway.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #63
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
it's not even really hard

IMHO the only hard parts are starting the car from a stop in 1st and then learning how to drive up hills

I'm not a genius, and I taught myself how to drive stick. Not without repercussions (put a dent in the passenger side fender of my first car while trying to park in my driveway the first time).

Grind em Til' Ya Find em!
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #64
cmspooner

Garage
I just had a though about what might have caused my problem with the Mini! The Mini has hill assist which holds the break when starting on an incline, I tend o also hold the break until I hit the engagement point, then I move my foot to the gas. Is it possible that I was trying to fight the breaks from the hill assist, and that caused the engine to stall as soon as I started to move past the engagement point?

Anyway, I am positive that I want the manual; I just can't wait for the car to come out!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #65
arkybrz

Drives: '11 WRX DGM Ltd., '13 BRZ SSM Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I just had a though about what might have caused my problem with the Mini! The Mini has hill assist which holds the break when starting on an incline, I tend o also hold the break until I hit the engagement point, then I move my foot to the gas. Is it possible that I was trying to fight the breaks from the hill assist, and that caused the engine to stall as soon as I started to move past the engagement point?

Anyway, I am positive that I want the manual; I just can't wait for the car to come out!
That certainly would've made it more difficult on the incline starts, since you were fighting both the system and your own braking. The hill assist on my WRX usually takes about a second to release once I let off the clutch and give it gas. It takes a little bit to get used to and plenty of experienced manual drivers have issues adjusting to it, so I'm not surprised it caused you a lot of issues.

That said, get the manual. Once you drive the car everyday, all your concerns will become non-issues. It's just a matter of adjusting and gaining experience. Within 2 weeks, most aspects of driving a manual will become second nature.
arkybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #66
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random View Post
I hope this wasn't a serious analogy, because it was terrible!

Here's an attempt at a better one: driving a manual transmission is a lot like preparing and cooking your own food, while driving an automatic transmission is a lot like nuking a frozen meal in the microwave. You get better at cooking your own food with a little practice, it tends to taste better than microwaved, frozen meals and you enjoy the whole process as well.
Of course it was a joke....loosen up guys. I was just trying to break the "if you don't drive a manual you don't get it" stereotype.

Last edited by Mango22; 04-20-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #67
StarsGarrador
Gangnam Style Guru

Drives: Suzuki GSXF650, WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I got the Auto, never have owned a manual and wanted to get it in manual ( was going to buy a $400 banger to practice) but in the end the co-signer "persuaded" me to get AT in case our business fails and I have to re sale.. Quite depressing but the AT in this is amazing. I'm sure I'll be happy anyway.. I just wish everyone wasn't so anti-AT, they are getting really good (the transmissions)
StarsGarrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #68
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oddly enough, for me, seeing that Moto-P is getting an AT (even if only to teach his kids then trading up later), I think that's a testament that the AT is just fine.
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #69
arkybrz

Drives: '11 WRX DGM Ltd., '13 BRZ SSM Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsGarrador View Post
I got the Auto, never have owned a manual and wanted to get it in manual ( was going to buy a $400 banger to practice) but in the end the co-signer "persuaded" me to get AT in case our business fails and I have to re sale.. Quite depressing but the AT in this is amazing. I'm sure I'll be happy anyway.. I just wish everyone wasn't so anti-AT, they are getting really good (the transmissions)
I don't think anyone is anti-automatic because it's a bad transmission, lots of people have acknowledged that it's a very good transmission. Most car enthusiasts, myself included, prefer to have a car like this with a manual transmission. Regardless of how good the auto is, it will never have the same feel of manipulating the clutch and shifting gears, etc. That makes the manual more appealing for a lot of folks.
arkybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arkybrz For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-30-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #70
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i bought my mazdaspeed3 without ever driving a manual on real roads before. i had about 30 min experience in a gti and a cobalt ss in parking lots. the first week or two was rough and i stalled a lot. its 4 years later now and i dont think i could drive an auto daily. your left leg and right arm turn into an auto transmission. you shift and dont even have to think about it.
Lytheum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, clutch, fail, manual