follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #43
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLeasHer View Post
Thanks guys for the moral support.

I rang them and asked what is going on - they said they've contacted Toyota Engineering and Toyota Australia to try and see if there are similar issues (aka not sure what the issue is still)/ get me a loan car/ get parts (because the part they replace BROKE and the I got was 'the last one in Australia' in their system). They are also trying to source parts from Subaru, because even if the issue is unknown the sensor is still busted and need replacement.

I will find out tomorrow morning if I get to take my baby home, or a loan car... which will be a corolla or yaris... hmmm not overly joyed but any car will do at this stage. I said I'd rather they keep the car and get this issue fixed then get it to me quick for it to break again.

I did say I thought it was the ECU from the start, I swear no one listens to me because I am a young women in a full suit... Im not a pro but I know my car. I know how it's meant to feel and sound - and I know when something is off.

Wasnt there an ECU upgrade on the 25th October overseas?
ECU reflash, yeah. I'm hoping to get mine past 1,600km before it gets done, if it gets done-- mine probably won't need a reset, sadly.

And honestly? Toyota won't listen to you, because you don't work for Toyota. A friend of mine used to be a service technician (IE; Greasemonkey) and people would come in with complaints and solutions that they'd heard of, or a suspicion of what it was, and he was told not to write down more than a line or two of notes, and to ignore "unprofessional diagnosis".

His service manager took this to the point of ignoring extra symptoms and just writing down the "major" problems. IE; For slow GPS reception, just "Faulty GPS", for a tyre that only leaked while driving in the city but not on highway trips, just "slow leak", for an engine that idled high when hot but normally when cold, "idles high", etc.

Basically they treat anyone who's a customer like they don't know more about their car than them. Sadly that's a particularly common Australian thing at dealerships, no matter who you are.

EDIT; About the ECU reflash; Mine's never going to be a daily. I want it to be a grumbly angry thing and the sooner it learns the better-- if I have to get another ECU, I will. Why not. Aggressive off-idle behaviour, early TVCS/VVI/whatever activation, aggressive maps, bring it on.

Last edited by Nezz; 11-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #44
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
As intended by the manufacturer some people are re-flashing the computer themselves to bring about more hp usually only after mods or to simply re-tune it. Stock cars won't need to unless they have a problem. It is the computer which controls everything on the car.

The GPS TSB is intended to rectify onboard software as well as re-position the antenna which is the cause of GPS reception problems here. Certain TSB's can be nation specific.

A good service rep or head technical assistant will take good note of the explanation given by clients to problems, it gets things resolved quicker. A lot really depends on the dealer & their staff. All one can do is kindly advise the servicing dealer what's going on & what the problem may be, they will have their usual protocol in which to follow & suss it out for themselves. Having said that, I do know that technicians do use the forums because it gives them multiple insights & different avenues to try & resolve the issues.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #45
primetime

Drives: Shiro White 370Z
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think the difficult thing after buying a new car is finding out what their service department is like (if that's your first time there) and if it doesn't suit, finding out another one that does.

This is what I had to do with my KIA Sportage to fix a leaking driveshaft - after being mucked around and wasted few days of my time, I switched to another service department and it got fixed ASAP, and kept me informed all the way.

Same goes for my 370Z (my other car) when it goes in for service - past experience has been great with my 350Z, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #46
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:
SC Toyota? Mine is Bill Buckle in Brookevale.

oh i'm just putting the 2 issues i had previously together. SC Toyota = Sydney City Toyota
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #47
UnLeasHer

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS & Mazda 3 SP23
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezz View Post
EDIT; About the ECU reflash; Mine's never going to be a daily. I want it to be a grumbly angry thing and the sooner it learns the better-- if I have to get another ECU, I will. Why not. Aggressive off-idle behaviour, early TVCS/VVI/whatever activation, aggressive maps, bring it on.
? you saying you want the shakes??? you do realise thats the start. After that your sensor kills itself and you lose power. Im talking a Yaris will beat you in a quarter mile kinda loss of power.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #48
UnLeasHer

Update. GM of the area for Toyota was assigned to my case and I've got a Corolla Hatch until Monday/ Tuesday...

I showed them the bulletin and said, "maybe this is how you fix my problem, from your HQ". They werent impressed I was in possesion of that but thats why we have the internet!

ECU is being replaced by one that has been developed by some team in Melbourne after this issue came out, so apperently its got more BALLS (and isnt available through spare parts department). Im getting another sensor fitted also cos the one they replaced monday shit itself. All parts should arrive Monday and I should get the car back Tuesday things going well.

Happy face.
ZZT86 (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #49
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
when they did the recalls on the TRD aurion ECU's, they were all sent to Melbourne for the updates, the flash files weren't provided to the dealers. I can't recall what they did with the ECU recall on the ZZE123 sportivo's
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #50
Nezz
86DESU

Quote:
? you saying you want the shakes??? you do realise thats the start. After that your sensor kills itself and you lose power. Im talking a Yaris will beat you in a quarter mile kinda loss of power.
Nah. I was talking about the one, solitary upshot of a reflash/reset-- It erases any memory of the break in period, the car relearns. Hopefully mine won't need it, but it's a tempting thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nezz For This Useful Post:
UnLeasHer (11-05-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #51
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I showed them the bulletin and said, "maybe this is how you fix my problem, from your HQ". They werent impressed I was in possesion of that but thats why we have the internet!

ECU is being replaced by one that has been developed by some team in Melbourne after this issue came out, so apperently its got more BALLS (and isnt available through spare parts department). Im getting another sensor fitted also cos the one they replaced monday shit itself. All parts should arrive Monday and I should get the car back Tuesday things going well.
Subaru in Japan (FHI) still develop it, but those in Melbourne know what, how and why it was modified. As they are the only ones with the ECU update, the dealer MUST contact them directly to confirm then fix the issue, hence my previous advice.

To all those who wondered, BALLS doesn't equal better power, it just takes away the shakes ...

Hope to hear from you Tuesday!
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #52
Nezz
86DESU

Best of luck for tomorrow.

FHI; GANBATTE NE.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #53
JiB

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Mines in the shop too, they need it for a couple days. Camshaft gears being replaced, i was getting nasty rough idles and CEL's. i think yours was worst though
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #54
UnLeasHer

i got the car back on thursday AM but didnt want to post in case the same thing happened again. After putting 300kms on the clock everything seems fine. There are very minor vibrations at idle, however i think thats more of me being very sensitive to nuances in the car after driving the lender corolla, rather than the problem returning...

ill report back when i hit 1000kms on the clock...

i was told a new ecu and replacement sensor were replaced - however i noticed that my radio stations were still there. whereas the first fix of a reflash reset my stations (curious... was he ecu replaced? hmmm)...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #55
eckoflyte

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
i got the car back on thursday AM but didnt want to post in case the same thing happened again. After putting 300kms on the clock everything seems fine. There are very minor vibrations at idle, however i think thats more of me being very sensitive to nuances in the car after driving the lender corolla, rather than the problem returning...

ill report back when i hit 1000kms on the clock...

i was told a new ecu and replacement sensor were replaced - however i noticed that my radio stations were still there. whereas the first fix of a reflash reset my stations (curious... was he ecu replaced? hmmm)...
That's dodgy. From all the dealer experiences I've witnessed I would be in no way surprised if they didn't actually replace it.

Definitely call back and think strategically about how to put them on the spot so in the case they were being dodgy, would own up to it.
eckoflyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #56
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
They probably just reprogrammed your radio.... recorded the stations before disconnecting the battery and then re-entered them
Of course they replaced the ECU. They won't remain a Toyota dealer long if they are told to and don't
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nafe For This Useful Post:
UnLeasHer (11-14-2012)