follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #57
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
^that. Getting out there and trying it will help you understand a ton more then us all talking on here.
Yup, there's no substitute for experience, and I'm out there driving my car every day. But I think it's a good idea to incorporate "book learning" too. Lots of people are making mistakes that will never be corrected because they're just doing what feels right, without ever confirming that it is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I borderline think we are being trolled at this point, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now
Honestly, no trolling here. I did make one sarcastic comment, but that was in response to someone else's trolling. I'm a novice with cars and here to learn, so I appreciate that people like you are willing to give straight answers instead of deriding people for not being experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Me too, his only posts have been this one, I'm surprised he hasn't had any other "issues" with his car.
I haven't had any issues with this car at all. It drives great. Well OK, today I noticed that a panel had popped out a bit, and I just pushed it back into place. That's been my only issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Also the auto mode is really self explanatory, my girlfriend with 0 car experience picked it up and was playing with it quite a bit within 30 minutes, it really isn't that hard....
You meant manual mode, right? No, it's not that hard. Did I say it was? I was simply asking about how to make the best possible use of manual mode. This car has a very well designed AT, so when trying to do better in manual mode, every little bit helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Don't know what i miss but looks like millennials strikes again.

Op the reason to use manual mode is that you can keep the engine in the rev range where it produce the most power at the moment you want. (NOT 1 or 2 second later as rev needs to climb)
Nope, I'm an old guy, I've just always driven plain automatics until now. Thanks for your answer - it was already mentioned in this thread and it makes perfect sense. Not sure that it would take an AT a whole 1 or 2 seconds to downshift, but I get the point.
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #58
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Post pics of this parking lot, please. Do they require a tech inspection before they allow you to park?
Just a normal parking lot. Say this one:

You're parked here, and pulling out with a right turn, so you need to turn the wheel a lot. Auto mode is certainly an option, but say you wanted to use manual mode for whatever reason. How exactly would you make the turn?

I would use hand over hand steering and shift to 2nd partway through the turn, around 10 mph. And I would just use the stick since it's right there, instead of looking for the paddles.

If it was paddles or nothing, I suppose I would keep it in 1st gear until the steering wheel had straightened out, with either higher revs or a lower speed than I would normally use.
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Horsepower For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #59
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Horsepower View Post

Nope, I'm an old guy, I've just always driven plain automatics until now.
Well, either you ain't all that old - or you didn't start driving till you were 30 years old -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-17-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #60
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

You're parked here, and pulling out with a right turn, so you need to turn the wheel a lot. Auto mode is certainly an option, but say you wanted to use manual mode for whatever reason. How exactly would you make the turn?

I would use hand over hand steering and shift to 2nd partway through the turn, around 10 mph. And I would just use the stick since it's right there, instead of looking for the paddles.

If it was paddles or nothing, I suppose I would keep it in 1st gear until the steering wheel had straightened out, with either higher revs or a lower speed than I would normally use.
The paddles are really intended for performance driving. It's nice the car also has the sick shifter for scenarios like you are speaking of. It would be really bad though if the paddles weren't fixed to the wheel because you would have to move you hands to hit them which totally defeats the purpose of paddles.

Out of curiosity, did Toyota/Subaru get it right on the stick shifter and make forward shift down? I've seen a bunch of manufacturers get it wrong and make forward shift up.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #61
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,396 Times in 5,260 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post

Out of curiosity, did Toyota/Subaru get it right on the stick shifter and make forward shift down? I've seen a bunch of manufacturers get it wrong and make forward shift up.
No. It's backwards. But nothing 15 minutes swapping pins doesn't fix.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
ermax (09-17-2018), Tcoat (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #62
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:

Have you never driven with one hand? Not too complicated

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-19-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #63
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,202 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't even know why the thought of using paddles in a parking lot would even be entertained.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-19-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #64
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,176 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
In that case, leave it in auto. You know how that works already and it's familiar.
Using manual in every case, because racecar, is an added distraction.

Keep your head on a swivel looking for other parkers pulling out without looking themselves.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 AM   #65
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
I actually miss my AT '13. Ignore any "driver involvement" remarks.
Swapped for a manual?

But I really like the constructive feedback in this thread. I've been meaning to post on how to be a better AT driver and find that perfect shifting balance. I drive sporty in M all the time but I feel like I've sunken into some sloppy shifting habits in the turns. I think because of the torque dip I keep the revs high, especially in exits. Maybe I'm not modulating the throttle enough but with lighter wheels and sticky tires things can get pretty snappy. I find that Im never above 3rd gear when I'm exiting through the apex and the car is at full weight momentum. That's where things get snappy on the throttle but I feel like if I push through in 4th than I lose the acceleration I need as soon as the car begins to straighten out.

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on gear shifting through the turns and the balance between momentum and RPMs.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemane969 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #66
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,176 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've always been advised to select a gear before the turn.
Shifting in the middle will upset any balance you had going through.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (09-20-2018), Dadhawk (09-21-2018), Spacemane969 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #67
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
I find that Im never above 3rd gear when I'm exiting through the apex and the car is at full weight momentum. That's where things get snappy on the throttle but I feel like if I push through in 4th than I lose the acceleration I need as soon as the car begins to straighten out.
Lots of variables involved. Sometimes a short shift pays off so you're not fighting to prevent power oversteer. Sometimes you will also run out the gear mid turn and either have to bounce the limiter or shift at the apex which is detrimental too. It's really hard to give specific advice because it's really dependant on the turn and also what comes before and after the turn (as in, long straight before the turn or after the turn). I'd suggest getting into simracing. You can put a 1000's of laps in on a sim without spending money, risking your life, eating rubber or ragging on your car. Much what you learn in sims will apply real life (assuming you're using iRacing or rFactor2).
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Spacemane969 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #68
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
I think because of the torque dip I keep the revs high, especially in exits. Maybe I'm not modulating the throttle enough but with lighter wheels and sticky tires things can get pretty snappy. I find that Im never above 3rd gear when I'm exiting through the apex and the car is at full weight momentum. That's where things get snappy on the throttle but I feel like if I push through in 4th than I lose the acceleration I need as soon as the car begins to straighten out.
Wind it up. That's what it's built for.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #69
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Are we STILL discussing how to shift a car with an automatic transmission - ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #70
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Are we STILL discussing how to shift a car with an automatic transmission - ??

humfrz
I still cant get the paddles to work when I'm in reverse. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull harder? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (09-21-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-21-2018)