follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
khrono

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drive style vs throw out bearing

Hi all I just recently changed my clutch and throwout bearing and flyeheel at 80k miles. Upon removing, the clutch seemed fine. Definitely used but more than 50% thickness left. Flywheel was more noticely worn than new one and definitely felt a few ounces lighter. The throwout bearing was intact, but it was very rigid and wouldnt turn smoothly at all. I know that the older throwout bearings had issues and that there is a new part that fixes it. I am not sure if the exedy oem kit I bought contains the new or old bearing.

Assuming I got another old bearing, what can I do to prolong the life of it? I always hear that the throwout bearing should outlast the clutch, but it certainly was not the case for me. Does shifting at higher rpms cause quicker bearing deterioration? I am assuming the bearings have a set life expectancy of rotations it can go through. If shifting at 2-3k can help the bearing last longer I may consider to do that.

Anything else other than getting off the cluth faster affect the throwout bearing life? My old throwout bearing crapped out at 80k. No serious power mods besides e85 for the last 50k miles.

Wanted to get some handy tips on how this all works. Thanks for your thoughts!
khrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
It was mentioned in another thread, but after I emailed Exedy, the new kits going out should have the new bearing, but I don't know if that was after backlogs were sold or what. It needed to have a white dot on it to be the new TOB.

It'll probably last you another 80k miles. You could limit heating the TOB oil by not riding the clutch or holding it in at traffic lights; just put it in neutral instead. The oil is all that is different, so it probably isn't as much of a cycle situation, as a heat tolerance situation.
humfrz (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrono View Post
Hi all I just recently changed my clutch and throwout bearing and flyeheel at 80k miles. Upon removing, the clutch seemed fine. Definitely used but more than 50% thickness left. Flywheel was more noticely worn than new one and definitely felt a few ounces lighter. The throwout bearing was intact, but it was very rigid and wouldnt turn smoothly at all. I know that the older throwout bearings had issues and that there is a new part that fixes it. I am not sure if the exedy oem kit I bought contains the new or old bearing.

Assuming I got another old bearing, what can I do to prolong the life of it? I always hear that the throwout bearing should outlast the clutch, but it certainly was not the case for me. Does shifting at higher rpms cause quicker bearing deterioration? I am assuming the bearings have a set life expectancy of rotations it can go through. If shifting at 2-3k can help the bearing last longer I may consider to do that.

Anything else other than getting off the cluth faster affect the throwout bearing life? My old throwout bearing crapped out at 80k. No serious power mods besides e85 for the last 50k miles.

Wanted to get some handy tips on how this all works. Thanks for your thoughts!
I'll ring up our resident TOB expert @Tcoat for his thoughts.

My understanding is that the TOB on these cars is going around any time the engine is running. It's just called upon to "work" when you push the clutch pedal down.

Therefore, the less you drive your car - the longer the TOB will last - daaaa

The fewer times you push in on the clutch, the longer the TOB will last - another daaa

It's also my understanding is that the old TOBs went bad because they ran out of lubricant. Heat is their enemy, therefore the less the clutch is used when the drivetrain is extremely hot - the longer a TOB will last.

If your replacement kit included the "new" TOB, I wouldn't worry about it - it will probably last longer than you keep your car.

If the kit contained the old type TOB, you might budget for a replacement in another 80,000 miles. But, I still wouldn't worry about it.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I stopped reading the first post at "definitely felt a few ounces lighter". If anybody wore a few ounces off a flywheel and had the mad skills to feel the difference then there is nothing I can possibly say to assist them.
gravitylover (09-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
You've already mastered dropping the transmission. Next one's going to be a piece of cake. It's just a TOB and you're miles ahead of the game with the DIY.

Just drive the piss out of it and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you don't have to worry.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:10 AM   #6
khrono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It was mentioned in another thread, but after I emailed Exedy, the new kits going out should have the new bearing, but I don't know if that was after backlogs were sold or what. It needed to have a white dot on it to be the new TOB.

It'll probably last you another 80k miles. You could limit heating the TOB oil by not riding the clutch or holding it in at traffic lights; just put it in neutral instead. The oil is all that is different, so it probably isn't as much of a cycle situation, as a heat tolerance situation.
Dang, Should have checked before I installed it. Oh well. I got the kit probably 4 months ago, but was putting off installing it. Is it something I can email exedy and they can look up by the barcode on the box? I might try sending them a pic to ask.

As for riding the clutch I usually keep neutral with foot off the clutch at all lights until go time. I was told that any clutch depression causes some kind of wear so that kind of kept me weary (haha) of pushing the clutch pedal.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
khrono

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll ring up our resident TOB expert @Tcoat for his thoughts.

My understanding is that the TOB on these cars is going around any time the engine is running. It's just called upon to "work" when you push the clutch pedal down.

Therefore, the less you drive your car - the longer the TOB will last - daaaa

The fewer times you push in on the clutch, the longer the TOB will last - another daaa

It's also my understanding is that the old TOBs went bad because they ran out of lubricant. Heat is their enemy, therefore the less the clutch is used when the drivetrain is extremely hot - the longer a TOB will last.

If your replacement kit included the "new" TOB, I wouldn't worry about it - it will probably last longer than you keep your car.

If the kit contained the old type TOB, you might budget for a replacement in another 80,000 miles. But, I still wouldn't worry about it.

humfrz

Oh I didn't know that. It's definitely good to know that heat is an issue. Does the tranny get hot during excessive shifting, or high rpm situations usually? I suppose I can google it.

As for keeping the car it is hard to say. I had it since day one and even if I get another car in the future as a daily, I still can't see myself getting rid of this car even though it doesn't get that oomph, it is more fun to be able to legally "push it to the limits".

Great insight! Thanks!
Old 09-02-2018, 01:18 AM   #8
khrono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You've already mastered dropping the transmission. Next one's going to be a piece of cake. It's just a TOB and you're miles ahead of the game with the DIY.

Just drive the piss out of it and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you don't have to worry.
Haha, that is true. Twice through the ringer. Next one should be no problemo. I hope by that time though I have access to a lift or something. Thanks for easing my fears. If it breaks, I'll find a way to fix it!

Old 09-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh I didn't know that. It's definitely good to know that heat is an issue. Does the tranny get hot during excessive shifting, or high rpm situations usually? I suppose I can google it.

As for keeping the car it is hard to say. I had it since day one and even if I get another car in the future as a daily, I still can't see myself getting rid of this car even though it doesn't get that oomph, it is more fun to be able to legally "push it to the limits".

Great insight! Thanks!
Well, generally speaking, heat/friction is what eventually wears out most engine/drivetrain parts. I understand that the TOB gives out due to excessive wear caused by the lack of lubrication. I also understand that the new/improved TOB has more/better lubricant.

Yes, although the transmission/clutch/TOB get hotter when they are run faster and/or longer, there isn't anything that's practical that you can do about it.

Just don't "ride the clutch", do slip the transmission into neutral at lengthy stops and don't dump the clutch.

Now, I suggest you quit worrying about it and just drive and enjoy your car -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #10
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Dang, Should have checked before I installed it. Oh well. I got the kit probably 4 months ago, but was putting off installing it. Is it something I can email exedy and they can look up by the barcode on the box? I might try sending them a pic to ask.

As for riding the clutch I usually keep neutral with foot off the clutch at all lights until go time. I was told that any clutch depression causes some kind of wear so that kind of kept me weary (haha) of pushing the clutch pedal.
If it was months back then definitely no, you didn’t get the new TOB.

Yes, pushing in the clutch will press the TOB against the clutch assembly making the TOB spin, so less is better. Although, I have to agree with others that the interval isn’t short enough to alter driving behavior IMO.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #11
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think so to be honest, I rev match 100% of my shifts but it still went out around 50k miles.

But i did do a bit more clutch abusing stuff here and there.... thou my clutch still had a ton of material left when i change out the bearing.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I don't think so to be honest, I rev match 100% of my shifts but it still went out around 50k miles.

But i did do a bit more clutch abusing stuff here and there.... thou my clutch still had a ton of material left when i change out the bearing.
I abuse my clutches. I use the clutch to brake all the time and hard downshift.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I abuse my clutches. I use the clutch to brake all the time and hard downshift.
We've all discussed clutch preservation techniques but rarely acknowledge just how stout they really are. The OEM clutch is plenty tough. But that cheesy release mechanism... SMH.