follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The Ethics of Multiple Pre-Orders

I have been told that it could be as late as August for my BRZ pre-order to be fulfilled. There is another dealership nearby that I did not know about when I first pre-ordered that is getting far more BRZs in. Is it ethical to put a pre-order in at this other dealership and buy from whoever gets the car in first?
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
They will sell all the cars they get for at least MSRP. I wouldn't feel bad doing it.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
They will sell all the cars they get for at least MSRP. I wouldn't feel bad doing it.
Exactly what I came here to say. It's not like you're trying to order a puke green Honda Accord Crosstour with a manual trasmission. They're going to be able to sell the car. I've been trying to track down a SWP Manual Premium BRZ, and everytime I find one, I end up being less than a week late to buy it. These cars aren't going to just sit on the lots.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Don't feel bad in shopping around and placing pre-orders in 2, heck even 10 dealers. Like what Mitch says, this car is IN DEMAND. Every dealer will sell every single car. Don't be afraid to cancel.

I have 2 pre-order deposits myself, one for Subaru and another for Scion. I specifically stated when I made my deposit that I can possibly back out, no questions asked. Both dealers agreed to this. Fully refundable deposits of course.
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ethically it would.
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Motopythons
Let it rain!

Drives: 2012 Subaru Imprezza
^ what they said, don't feel bad about it. In the end, your money will go to someones' pay roll/bonus, feeding their family and children. In return you get the car you want, satisfactioin and enjoyment. win-win.

Feel better now?
Motopythons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wouldn't feel bad, one of the dealers here said there was no pressure putting down a deposit because I can easily back away as he will have no problem selling it to someone else.
WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
If you don't have any relationship established with the dealership (I'm assuming you don't), I'd make sure the terms will be the same or better at the new dealer, place a pre-order with them, and pull the one at the former dealer. If you know for sure they'll have what you want sooner at the second one, why string along the first one? There could be someone else out there waiting for one...

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I wouldn't feel bad at all. I'm in the same scenario where I have a chance to purchase a vehicle probably coming in next week versus waiting until August. I'm going to cancel my original pre-order and just grab the car which is available.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
One of the guts around here Marloon had something like 6 different preorders so IRS not a big deal at all
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Chauntalei

Drives: Non-BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yeah, I had multiple orders in before I got my car. I placed an order in April, picked up an abandoned pre-order in early May, and then had a dealer email me specifically to offer me the car that I ended up getting. The dealerships I was working with before will have no problems selling the cars I backed out on, so I'm not worried at all. Plus, it puts a few hundred bucks back in my pocket from the refunded deposits.
Chauntalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
ninthprime

Drives: 07 Mazda3 Hatch
Going to threadjack a bit here, have a question about a multi-pre-order situation.

I found out last week that the dealer I placed my order with two months ago didn't actually get my order in for their allocation for the year (I'm either 6 or 7 of 5) even though they told me when I put my deposit down that they hadn't sold all of their slots yet. My salesman told me that SOA may reallocate since some dealers haven't sold out, but not wanting to rely on that I started calling around to other dealers. I found one not too far away that had 2 slots left, so I went over immediately and put down another deposit.

This morning I get an email from the second dealer asking me if I've cancelled my other order yet because "the second one will hang up". Is he stong-arming me or is that actually how SOA's order system works?
ninthprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Motopythons
Let it rain!

Drives: 2012 Subaru Imprezza
You should have the freedom to purchase 2 cars if you want. I assume you told the 2nd dealer that you still have a deposit with the 1st dealer? He's probably just using that info against you, so that they can have your sale exclusively.

what does this mean? They're bluffing and using false info to scare you into submission.

Tell them you're keeping that spot for a friend at the 1st dealer. if they insist on bullshitting you about how you can't have 2 deposits (which is not true, many forum members have placed multiple deposits), then tell them "I want to buy 2 cars and have contact scion headquarters to confirm i'm allowed to, despite the limited availability"

Or, just walk away. Don't let them fuck with you. whoever holds the money is the boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthprime View Post
Going to threadjack a bit here, have a question about a multi-pre-order situation.

I found out last week that the dealer I placed my order with two months ago didn't actually get my order in for their allocation for the year (I'm either 6 or 7 of 5) even though they told me when I put my deposit down that they hadn't sold all of their slots yet. My salesman told me that SOA may reallocate since some dealers haven't sold out, but not wanting to rely on that I started calling around to other dealers. I found one not too far away that had 2 slots left, so I went over immediately and put down another deposit.

This morning I get an email from the second dealer asking me if I've cancelled my other order yet because "the second one will hang up". Is he stong-arming me or is that actually how SOA's order system works?
Motopythons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
ninthprime

Drives: 07 Mazda3 Hatch
Alrighty, thanks. I called SOA this morning to ask about this situation, but the guy I talked to didn't know for sure and will have to talk to distributors and get back to me. I'm not cancelling anything until I hear from corporate that I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopythons View Post
You should have the freedom to purchase 2 cars if you want. I assume you told the 2nd dealer that you still have a deposit with the 1st dealer? He's probably just using that info against you, so that they can have your sale exclusively.

what does this mean? They're bluffing and using false info to scare you into submission.

Tell them you're keeping that spot for a friend at the 1st dealer. if they insist on bullshitting you about how you can't have 2 deposits (which is not true, many forum members have placed multiple deposits), then tell them "I want to buy 2 cars and have contact scion headquarters to confirm i'm allowed to, despite the limited availability"

Or, just walk away. Don't let them fuck with you. whoever holds the money is the boss.
ninthprime is offline   Reply With Quote