follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Dillano609
Teh O1d 5oul

Drives: 97' Nissan Maxima SE, 04' BMW 330ci
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else cave in to another car?

So my original intention was to buy the FR-S, but I figured I'd look at some cars at a local dealership because I thought 25k was a little steep for what you get. I ended up finding a 2004 BMW 330Ci and got it for 10.5K in prestine condition and fully loaded with a 6-speed manual tranny. I couldn't say no, anyone else have similar stories?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillano609 View Post
So my original intention was to buy the FR-S, but I figured I'd look at some cars at a local dealership because I thought 25k was a little steep for what you get. I ended up finding a 2004 BMW 330Ci and got it for 10.5K in prestine condition and fully loaded with a 6-speed manual tranny. I couldn't say no, anyone else have similar stories?
I'm almost in the same boat. I'm debating walking away at this point. The constant Subaru vs Toyota BS on these forums makes me not want to be a part of this community any longer.

Enjoy your BMW. It should be a fun car.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
No way! My Audi A4 has been in need of replacement for a while now but I've been waiting and saving my money since March of 2011. We're so close to the cars finally being here, its stupid for me to waste all that time waiting just to buy something else.

Plus, I just found out my car might actually be sitting in a holding pen in Richmond waiting for me to pick it up!!!

Color me excited!

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillano609 View Post
Congrats on the car.

I think the FR-S is moderately priced and I hope many more prospects will have have the same mentality as you and move on to another car. We want to reduce the demand shift in any way shape or form.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
I'm almost in the same boat. I'm debating walking away at this point. The constant Subaru vs Toyota BS on these forums makes me not want to be a part of this community any longer.

Ah its the same car in the end so I wouldn't let it get to you! No different than an Eagle Talon owner saying the Eclipse sucked and vice versa. Same car, little different body... (Unless some people would argue that the turbo variants with the Mitsubishi engines were better than the Chrysler engines... Which I'd agree however that is way..... )

Enjoy the beemer! What will be interesting is if you stay a community member, drive the FR-S and then come back to the FR-S/BRZ side!
Kimsey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
Ah its the same car in the end so I wouldn't let it get to you! No different than an Eagle Talon owner saying the Eclipse sucked and vice versa. Same car, little different body... (Unless some people would argue that the turbo variants with the Mitsubishi engines were better than the Chrysler engines... Which I'd agree however that is way..... )

Enjoy the beemer! What will be interesting is if you stay a community member, drive the FR-S and then come back to the FR-S/BRZ side!
I'm not buying the BMW. :P The OP is. I'm still in line for my FRS. I had an AE86 for so long. Selling it broke my heart. It was like trying to sell my own leg. So I'm stoked for this car. I'm just tired of the constant "I have to be better than you" stuff in these forums. The only other thing that will get me is if I can't get my FRS in MT/White. I'll maybe settle for silver, but I'm holding out for white.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Quote:
I'm not buying the BMW. :P The OP is. I'm still in line for my FRS. I had an AE86 for so long. Selling it broke my heart. It was like trying to sell my own leg. So I'm stoked for this car. I'm just tired of the constant "I have to be better than you" stuff in these forums. The only other thing that will get me is if I can't get my FRS in MT/White. I'll maybe settle for silver, but I'm holding out for white.
Understand bro, I didn't have an 86 but I truly loved my first car. I think this is the only car in the world that can bring back that "first car" excitement and feeling when driving it. I'm holding out till I'm driving my BRZ! Then I'm going to drive it till it dies!
Kimsey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
not i.
I tend to keep my cars for as long as possible.

Its just time to get a little sportier
Plus following this car for so long....
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
I've been following the production of this car since 2009, and still haven't caved into buying another car. You weren't that interested in the first place.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ikaros For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (04-23-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The constant Subaru vs Toyota BS on these forums makes me not want to be a part of this community
Agreed, I keep looking for another forum with decent traffic but I haven't found any. I don't even understand why there are separate forums for the Subaru and Toyota versions. Not to mention all the crap about Toyota vs. Scion.

OP, If there was something else out there that was as purpose built, had a hard top, four seats and didn't cost Porsche money, I would seriously consider it. I just haven't found it yet.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Gratz on the car OP. I have been looking at the 08-09 (skyline 370 gt/infinity G37). It's pretty nice with semi luxurious interior. Seats look amazing.same engine that's in the 370Z. I could probably get one in Australia for around 35k. But at this time I'm going to be patient and test drive the 86 before I do anything.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I bought a POS beater. So I'm not in a hurry to buy a car now. But the sooner I get a decent car the happier I'll be.

Quote:

The badge bickering can get annoying but we've got some pretty cool people from both communities. Several of the big gurus from NASIOC(Subaru forum) come over here and share technical info that relates to the engine or suspension. And on the Toyota side, well, there's guff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Agreed, I keep looking for another forum with decent traffic but I haven't found any. I don't even understand why there are separate forums for the Subaru and Toyota versions. Not to mention all the crap about Toyota vs. Scion.
Honestly, I think a lot of us are looking for that. The two sub-forums are kind of an appeasement for the two different communities(Toyota/Subaru). The different subforums mean if you don't like the people who dominate a certain subforum you can switch to another. I prefer OT myself but I visit and cause trouble on the two major subforums too.

It's not a perfect place but FT86club big enough to be interesting. Even the big news outlets can't match our rumor mill. Plus this is still the best place to find good info on the Twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of us are looking for that. The two sub-forums are kind of an appeasement for the two different communities(Toyota/Subaru). The different subforums mean if you don't like the people who dominate a certain subforum you can switch to another. I prefer OT myself but I visit and cause trouble on the two major subforums too.

It's not a perfect place but FT86club big enough to be interesting. Even the big news outlets can't match our rumor mill. Plus this is still the best place to find good info on the Twins.
100% agree
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
M&M_Hwy9 (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
Dillano609
Teh O1d 5oul

Drives: 97' Nissan Maxima SE, 04' BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
Gratz on the car OP. I have been looking at the 08-09 (skyline 370 gt/infinity G37). It's pretty nice with semi luxurious interior. Seats look amazing.same engine that's in the 370Z. I could probably get one in Australia for around 35k. But at this time I'm going to be patient and test drive the 86 before I do anything.
Haha, thanks. Many people have offered their congratulatory statements and I take them with great humility. Those are pretty decent cars, I recently drove a G35 (Not exactly the same), but the higher end stuff by Nissan is quite impressive.

Whoever said I wasn't that interested in the first place, ugh, I've been following this car for over a year... No matter, still got a quality car and I'll be lurking in here every now and then just to see whats up Hopefully the sibling rivalry between Scion and Toyota will cease and no more brand favoritism to annoying levels between Toyota and Subaru debated once the car comes out. Kinda agree, kills things on here.