follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #57
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I meant the branding from KillerB

I didn’t know they made headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #58
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Didn't we cover this in the oil pickup thread?

So help the community out and name them. Shere your expertise so maybe others can make some magic happen.

There aren't that many that I know of. Not even half-dozen manufacturers of US made rolled SS tube. Maybe if you're including wholesale and reseller sources? Lots of those, but few actually have stock.

A few make it to MIL-spec (what we use post headers) and only TWO US manufacturers that make MIL-Spec 321 (what we use for headers; 304 alloyed with titanium).

So why not make some for the ZN6/ZC6 platform?

Old 05-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #59
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ive seen tomei, jdl, p&l, ft86speedfactory, to name a few off my brain come and go with inventory. Also some big and smaller manufactures have stopped making them all together. Given the age of this platform and the 1 year gap to the 2nd gen. Added with production delays for materials. I think we are now seeing the impact.

I saw this coming last year honestly. Decided to order my catted JDL UEL last year and had to wait 4 months due to GESI cats on back order.
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #60
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
Ive seen tomei, jdl, p&l, ft86speedfactory, to name a few off my brain come and go with inventory. Also some big and smaller manufactures have stopped making them all together. Given the age of this platform and the 1 year gap to the 2nd gen. Added with production delays for materials. I think we are now seeing the impact.

I saw this coming last year honestly. Decided to order my catted JDL UEL last year and had to wait 4 months due to GESI cats on back order.

The ft86speedfactory one is terrible from what I’ve heard. Also the 2nd gen utilizes the same headers so idk why they’d stop aftermarket production.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #61
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
The ft86speedfactory one is terrible from what I’ve heard. Also the 2nd gen utilizes the same headers so idk why they’d stop aftermarket production.

From what I've read the collector position for overpipe from the 1st to second gen is slightly positioned different.

I was about to order a catted resonated front pipe to find JDL took them off the site. This was the response to my email from last week:

"Thank you for your email.

Some of the JDL pipes will be returning to the website in the very near future and will be available to order at that time.

Deborah"

You can keep up with them here also, they are still developing for the twins thankfully

Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #62
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
From what I've read the collector position for overpipe from the 1st to second gen is slightly positioned different.

I was about to order a catted resonated front pipe to find JDL took them off the site. This was the response to my email from last week:

"Thank you for your email.

Some of the JDL pipes will be returning to the website in the very near future and will be available to order at that time.

Deborah"

You can keep up with them here also, they are still developing for the twins thankfully

I emailed them over the weekend I’m hoping to get a response.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #63
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
People are waiting up to six months for whole cars.
China has been in total lockdown for weeks.
Everything is in short supply.
How is this confusing to some people?
Next thread will be “they want 50% more money for everything so are ripping me off”.
e_lunatic (05-23-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-23-2022), OkieSnuffBox (05-23-2022), Turdinator (05-25-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #64
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
People are waiting up to six months for whole cars.
China has been in total lockdown for weeks.
Everything is in short supply.
How is this confusing to some people?
Next thread will be “they want 50% more money for everything so are ripping me off”.

Some people don’t watch television or read news articles. So it’s not confusing, I’m just not up with the times or whatever bullshit narrative they’re spewing to everyone at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #65
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,326 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Didn't we cover this in the oil pickup thread?

So help the community out and name them. Shere your expertise so maybe others can make some magic happen.

There aren't that many that I know of. Not even half-dozen manufacturers of US made rolled SS tube. Maybe if you're including wholesale and reseller sources? Lots of those, but few actually have stock.

A few make it to MIL-spec (what we use post headers) and only TWO US manufacturers that make MIL-Spec 321 (what we use for headers; 304 alloyed with titanium).

You call that covered, then that explains your customer service. I didn’t plan on saying anymore but that post struck me a bit given my experience with you guys. Just like you pay to sponsor the forum, I paid to basically give
my negative opinion of you guys.

I don’t work for anyone on this board. I suspect a few of them only resell on my list but I don’t buy much stainless(basically one tube size) anymore so I’d have to make some calls. Most of our fab is done by local shops but I source for them when they can’t find something since I have a vested interest in getting my product done. Yes, I am aware there is a good chance there won’t be stock but knowing their rolling schedule would help get an order in.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #66
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Some people don’t watch television or read news articles. So it’s not confusing, I’m just not up with the times or whatever bullshit narrative they’re spewing to everyone at the moment.

Oh there it is. Should have guessed. Maybe you should pickup a paper if you have the intellectual ability to even grasp the reality of the world now. Doubt it though.
OkieSnuffBox (05-23-2022), Wally86 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #67
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
For a second, I thought I was in the Covid thread.

Anyways. I'll say it again. Headers are considered "hot parts". Meaning, they are made to order. Ordering from a 3rd party seller only means that they put the order in for you. Always contact the manufacturer directly, even better, do some research and see if the seller actually has them in stock.
This was explained to me by JDL when I got my UEL last year. They are also hand made, or welded. Quality takes time. Other brands like Borla, TOMEI, might have faster ways of producing their product, but may only sell a certain amount to each re-seller.

That plus added the shortage of workers, materials, etc.

Like I said on your classified thread, keep an eye on those threads as headers do pop up. I think even an ACE showed up less than a week ago. Facebook marketplace is not a bad place either. I think an OEM is like $100 which should hold you up for a while until you get something better.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #68
spcmafia

Quote:
Never heard of them. I’m skeptical of shopping anywhere but 86speed, ftspeed, counterspacegarage, or mapperformamce JDL doesn’t even have any catted UEL on their website. They don’t even have their UEL on their website. It’s annoying. My exhaust manifold is failing and I need an aftermarket one and I can’t find any but the shitty ft86speedfactory ones and those are not worth buying according to most tuners.

I have personally never heard anything negative about them. If anything, is the closet thing to the catted JDL but with a friendlier price. It does come with an option to ceramic coat, and with a lifetime waranty (Unless your tuner is an idiot and loads a bad tune).

I guess the only drawback would be is that they are catted, and therefore you miss out in about 3-5HP on the top end compared to uncatted.

If you could point me in the direction of recorded cases of their headers failing after their revised version, It could help me reconsider suggesting them to anyone looking for a set of headers.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #69
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I have personally never heard anything negative about them. If anything, is the closet thing to the catted JDL but with a friendlier price. It does come with an option to ceramic coat, and with a lifetime waranty (Unless your tuner is an idiot and loads a bad tune).

I guess the only drawback would be is that they are catted, and therefore you miss out in about 3-5HP on the top end compared to uncatted.

If you could point me in the direction of recorded cases of their headers failing after their revised version, It could help me reconsider suggesting them to anyone looking for a set of headers.

Call up delicious tuning and ask them what they think about Ft86speed headers

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #70
spcmafia

Quote:
Call up delicious tuning and ask them what they think about Ft86speed headers

Okay that is one tuner. I did a search on the forum and, considering that delicious does hold an account here, and does roam the forums from time to time, was not able to find a recorded case.

I'm just trying to get more insight here, not defending FTSpeed, to be clear.

Maybe is missing context, could be because loading a bad tune could potentially mess up the cat and therefore they are not willing to take that risk. Or use it in FI application where the power exceeds the parameters of the cat, unlike the JDL which is rated pretty high.

At any rate, there are options out there to fix your headers, or get a temporary set. Good luck.
Wally86 (05-24-2022)