follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Exhaust concerns and question :)

How do you guys know which configuration would be the best fitted for you...! I will explain down bellow

I want street performance, not track performance! Therefore, changing my suspension to street coilovers (BC Coilovers) with 18x8.5" Wheels from Enkei or forgestar! Anyway.... Coming to exhausts systems 0.0 I am confused

There is 2.5, 3, 4 and many other dimensions for tips. Also, there is for sure more to an exhaust. I was suggested to go with an invidia n1 2.5" titanium. Is there anything better for my needs and why??????? Remember, street performance only, no turbos and mileages economy. lol

Will it reduce, improve or unchage my performance.

Why do I want to change the stock? I want more sound and I believe that the bigger the hole the more the air travels faster
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We need to know one thing: Will this be your daily driver?

If so, you'll actually want a quieter exhaust like the Perrin, or the Invidia Q300.

As for size, 2.5" tubing will do you fine. 3" tubing is used for turbo applications.

The size of the tips make absolutely no difference regarding performance. It is merely aesthetic.

Cat back systems usually do NOT cause a noticable increase performance on our cars. If you want performance, you'll want a header, full exhaust and a tune.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Don't ask US why you want to change your exhaust. ask yourself.

Do you want it quiet, loud, mostly for looks, quality of sound, or what? You don't really describe your goals here.

(also it's clear you haven't read any of the stickies... do some research before starting a thread!)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
We need to know one thing: Will this be your daily driver?

If so, you'll actually want a quieter exhaust like the Perrin, or the Invidia Q300.

As for size, 2.5" tubing will do you fine. 3" tubing is used for turbo applications.

The size of the tips make absolutely no difference regarding performance. It is merely aesthetic.

Cat back systems usually do NOT cause a noticable increase performance on our cars. If you want performance, you'll want a header, full exhaust and a tune.
Thanks for the information. Do you think the noise will derange (annoy) me if I go for louder exhaust? Yes, daily driven =p
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes a louder exhaust gets annoying. You want enough exhaust grumble when on the throttle to enjoy it, but drone while cruising gets old VERY fast. If you're going engine-back exhaust for NA, you'll want a quiet catback like the q300 or greddy sp elite to quiet down the increased exhaust notes and return the tone to "slightly louder than stock but with a better note".

If you're sticking with stock headers and front pipe, then the louder exhausts will be okay, as they won't be amplifying as-loud of a noise as they would with a much less restricted exhaust such as that in an engine-back setup.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote