follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Oakhenshield
Member
 
Oakhenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: ahh its blue?
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headers, Over and Front pipe combo? need recommendations

so i currently have the N1 CB and i love the sound
now in the next few weeks im getting a header over and front pipe combo and im thinking to go all Invidia, is this good?
if not can u guys recommend any nice combo for these things
cause im going to that really loud noise even at low rpm

thnks in advance
__________________
Bruuuum Bruuuum!
Oakhenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Bergen23
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 922
Thanked 949 Times in 492 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My recommendation is to post this in the right section:
www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

But before that, is to research the vast wealth of information in that section, and if you still don't have an answer, make a thread about it. Or better yet, post in one of the countless threads about it that have already been made with people asking the same question as you.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Oakhenshield
Member
 
Oakhenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: ahh its blue?
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
My recommendation is to post this in the right section:
www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

But before that, is to research the vast wealth of information in that section, and if you still don't have an answer, make a thread about it. Or better yet, post in one of the countless threads about it that have already been made with people asking the same question as you.
sorry bout that.. do i need to repost it there or somebody will move it?
i did googled it and found some combos but couldnt find a 1 brand combo
__________________
Bruuuum Bruuuum!
Oakhenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 50,414
Thanks: 44,992
Thanked 69,295 Times in 31,413 Posts
Mentioned: 1860 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhenshield View Post
sorry bout that.. do i need to repost it there or somebody will move it?
i did googled it and found some combos but couldnt find a 1 brand combo
The Mods can move it.
Pretty much always a safe bet if running the same brand from one end to the other though.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
Bergen23
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 922
Thanked 949 Times in 492 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhenshield View Post
sorry bout that.. do i need to repost it there or somebody will move it?
i did googled it and found some combos but couldnt find a 1 brand combo
To actually answer your question, it seems as though most brands have good fitment between front pipe and midpipe. The only issue that you may end up having is between header and over pipe as well as over pipe and front pipe. (This was my experience, YMMV)

Also, from what I've read, there's not much reason to change the over pipe as it's not really as restrictive as other exhaust components. For the money you'd spend on an aftermarket over pipe, you'd get basically the same gains from a drop-in filter. And the price difference is about $50 compared to 150+. Even the front pipe you're only going to get a few HP/TQ's out of, from what I recall. The information is out there, you just need to spend an hour or so looking for it.

As far as I know, Invidia doesn't make a header for the twins. But, there's tons of options out there. You can do it on the cheap, and have mediocre gains, or spend a lot and have good gains. If you're only really doing it for the sound you may be able to get away with spending less money. And, with removing the cat on the header, the resonator and the cat off the front pipe, you're going to have an obnoxiously loud set-up. I'd look into the HKS dual resonated front pipe and maybe even a header with a high flow cat. Unless of course you're ok with the noise and the (negative) attention you're going to attract to yourself.

Another thing to consider is that not all mods play nice together and while there are gains on paper, there may be no benefit in the real world. You also need to consider tuning. If you're doing an OFT, unless you're going to get a custom tune done, you're basically paying $500 bucks for a little bit of extra power and a CEL eliminator. With ecutek, you'll get a custom tune and feel much more benefit, but at a higher cost.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I'm learning as I go, and this is what I've picked up from reading on here.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
KoolBRZ
Senior Member
 
KoolBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Location: Vancouver, WA.USA
Posts: 965
Thanks: 86
Thanked 444 Times in 275 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The OFT has a lot more to offer than just a little bit more power and no CEL. With an OFT you can run E85, which is a lot more power. The OFT also acts as a gauge, to view readings in real time with customizable alerts. You can also reduce the high, loud idle post-start, as well as many other mods. There are also many members here who will help you learn how to tune, and will share tunes.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-20-2015), phobos512 (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
Bergen23
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 922
Thanked 949 Times in 492 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
The OFT has a lot more to offer than just a little bit more power and no CEL. With an OFT you can run E85, which is a lot more power. The OFT also acts as a gauge, to view readings in real time with customizable alerts. You can also reduce the high, loud idle post-start, as well as many other mods. There are also many members here who will help you learn how to tune, and will share tunes.
Oversimplification about what I said concerning the OFT. I did mention the whole "unless you're going to get a custom tune..." But you keep on being you, Kool
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
phobos512
Senior Member
 
phobos512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 950
Thanks: 234
Thanked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Oversimplification about what I said concerning the OFT. I did mention the whole "unless you're going to get a custom tune..." But you keep on being you, Kool
Says the guy with a negative trader rating...

The OFT can do nearly all the things that an ECUTek license gets you (custom tunes, flat foot shift, launch control...sure, no rev matching yet but enthusiasts usually turn that nonsense off...) but it also allows you the flexibility to fine tune things yourself after the fact. And OFT is regularly adding new features. But you keep on being you, Bergen.

@Oakhenshield - I run a PTuning EL header, Perrin 2.5" overpipe and CNT Racing catted front pipe mated to a stock midpipe and a Nameless muffled track pipe. It sounds pretty phenomenal IMO. The N1 will probably be much quieter by comparison but also probably deeper in tone. I like the higher pitched myself - sounds more like the high revving racecar it is. Because, racecar.
__________________
Matt | '14 FR-S 6MT Whiteout | '13 Sonata Hybrid | '11 CBR1000RR
phobos512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Bergen23
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 922
Thanked 949 Times in 492 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
Says the guy with a negative trader rating...

The OFT can do nearly all the things that an ECUTek license gets you (custom tunes, flat foot shift, launch control...sure, no rev matching yet but enthusiasts usually turn that nonsense off...) but it also allows you the flexibility to fine tune things yourself after the fact. And OFT is regularly adding new features. But you keep on being you, Bergen.

@Oakhenshield - I run a PTuning EL header, Perrin 2.5" overpipe and CNT Racing catted front pipe mated to a stock midpipe and a Nameless muffled track pipe. It sounds pretty phenomenal IMO. The N1 will probably be much quieter by comparison but also probably deeper in tone. I like the higher pitched myself - sounds more like the high revving racecar it is. Because, racecar.
My trader rating has nothing to do with this situation lmao. I also use an OFT. But this guy clearly says he only wants to do this stuff for sound, so judging from that, I can safely guess that he won't be getting into custom tuning or data logging.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
KoolBRZ
Senior Member
 
KoolBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Location: Vancouver, WA.USA
Posts: 965
Thanks: 86
Thanked 444 Times in 275 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Actually, the more retarded the timing and/or the AVCS exhaust valve timing is, the louder it gets. That's the whole reason behind lowering startup idle speed, noise, and it's done by reducing speed and backing off the post-start timing retard. So, an OFT can be used to get the right sound as well.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
Oakhenshield
Member
 
Oakhenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: ahh its blue?
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the infos guys
tbh, the only thing im doing this for sound is that theres some frs in my town thats really loud even when stop at traffic light and it sounds really nice, at least for me.
for you guys saying that im not getting to tune my frs, well i will soon just not now
im doing my mods one at a time and the last thing on my mind is a turbo. idk if this is stupid but all my mods right now are for look, for now.
__________________
Bruuuum Bruuuum!
Oakhenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Bergen23
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 922
Thanked 949 Times in 492 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhenshield View Post
Thanks for the infos guys
tbh, the only thing im doing this for sound is that theres some frs in my town thats really loud even when stop at traffic light and it sounds really nice, at least for me.
for you guys saying that im not getting to tune my frs, well i will soon just not now
im doing my mods one at a time and the last thing on my mind is a turbo. idk if this is stupid but all my mods right now are for look, for now.
Don't do anything until you go turbo then. You'll (probably) be replacing most of your exhaust parts to a bigger diameter when you do that. Unless you're ok with buying everything then selling it.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
KoolBRZ
Senior Member
 
KoolBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Location: Vancouver, WA.USA
Posts: 965
Thanks: 86
Thanked 444 Times in 275 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Sign up for the electric supercharger now, then in a year when you're ready, your name will come up and you can boost electrically. You can keep your exhaust unchanged, and your stock intake as well.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOLD F/S:Perrin Front pipe over pipe combo 2.5 Inch Amalgamo Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 4 04-23-2014 08:04 PM
Motiv Concepts Over-pipe & Front-pipe Combo's -$439 Shipped - DECEMBER ONLY!!! Rev Works Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 28 01-13-2014 06:57 PM
Agency Power Front/Over pipe (Combo pipe) - Cheap! seven Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 12 03-09-2013 02:40 AM
Agency Power over-pipe/front pipe combo question... seven Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 11 01-13-2013 01:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.