follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #2269
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Going OT, but the LF-A's exhaust is a tuned exhaust (that sounds amazing may I add) and in reality not even visible.

It's just not polished after welding, big deal... If someone wanted to they could easily do it but it's covered anyway.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #2270
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Going OT, but the LF-A's exhaust is a tuned exhaust (that sounds amazing may I add) and in reality not even visible.

It's just not polished after welding, big deal... If someone wanted to they could easily do it but it's covered anyway.
That was a tongue in cheek comparison.

STI Sports Muffler sounds amazing in real life, none of that snap crackle pop hipster noise you get with most aftermarket stuff.

Most people have an issue with the price due to it being an axle back only muffler (I get enough poker faces when random people come up to me and ask), and not a more complete system.

To me buying a LFA is like buying a Grand Seiko solid back watch, even tho I can't see the inside readily I expect the inside to be finished top notch. But most people have a problem with its price also (Seiko is like Toyota in terms of western brand identity, people that know better would laugh at this).

Then again $375k isn't so much money these days for a supercar, competition is fierce.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (07-03-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #2271
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I make myself feel better by looking at this comparison:

STI

LFA

UGHHH! That STi Sport Muffler is seriously my most desired mod at the moment and has been since I got the car. I absolutely love how it looks and the way it fills the otherwise open exhaust tip holes that the OEM and aftermarket tips leave. I just can't justify spending the 1500+ for it
Old 07-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #2272
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
UGHHH! That STi Sport Muffler is seriously my most desired mod at the moment and has been since I got the car. I absolutely love how it looks and the way it fills the otherwise open exhaust tip holes that the OEM and aftermarket tips leave. I just can't justify spending the 1500+ for it
Someone in Cali is selling a Fujitsubo Authorize R brand new for $1300, I'd snap it up quick if you have the funds available
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107706

You can see more pics and my review on the Fujitsubo Authorize R here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2468347

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #2273
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Someone in Cali is selling a Fujitsubo Authorize R brand new for $1300, I'd snap it up quick if you have the funds available
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107706

You can see more pics and my review on the Fujitsubo Authorize R here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2468347
Thanks @Mr.Impreza! So, let the flaming of me start but I have absolutely no knowledge and up to this point have heard the name Fujitsubo maybe less than 5 times. I obviously know how to use the wonderful technology of the internet to find out more and I certainly will but would love to hear more from you (obviously someone's who passionate about them.). Also, why and how does this relate to the STI muffler that I mentioned earlier. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #2274
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Buying a legal exhaust nowadays is in fact about compromise. In fact I cannot justify anymore such high prices for an exhaust that sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Sorry guys, but that's the reality. Do you want to hear a real Fujitsubo sound of the past? Check here (after 00:33) ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLucfi-NV-8"]S2000 with Fujitsubo RM-01A - YouTube[/ame]
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #2275
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,152 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
Thanks @Mr.Impreza! So, let the flaming of me start but I have absolutely no knowledge and up to this point have heard the name Fujitsubo maybe less than 5 times. I obviously know how to use the wonderful technology of the internet to find out more and I certainly will but would love to hear more from you (obviously someone's who passionate about them.). Also, why and how does this relate to the STI muffler that I mentioned earlier. Thank you!

Fujitsubo is one if the most well known and respected Japanese manufacturers of exhaust systems. It's the one and only thing they do. As such, they are also the manufacturers of many race and OE systems. They are the suppliers of the gazoo racing 86, GRMN, and super taikyu endurance cars for the 86. They are also the ones who manufacture the JDM STi axle back.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #2276
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Fujitsubo is one if the most well known and respected Japanese manufacturers of exhaust systems. It's the one and only thing they do. As such, they are also the manufacturers of many race and OE systems. They are the suppliers of the gazoo racing 86, GRMN, and super taikyu endurance cars for the 86. They are also the ones who manufacture the JDM STi axle back.
Thanks Derek! Always there helping out! Any word on the stereo swap?
Old 07-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #2277
krayzie
Drive From Home

JDM product quality control usually exceeds the rest of the world (some would argue it also exceeds their own export version of the same product) because JDM has an extremely low tolerance with imperfections, even in today's broke ass Japan.

But I don't know why you guys are comparing aftermarket competition exhausts with factory optional sports exhausts even if the manufacturer is indeed the same. Factory optional sports exhausts regardless of car brand rarely would have a rasp sound even at full throttle.

Not everybody wants a racing exhaust, at least I don't.

"XaCAR 86&BRZ Vol.2(12月10日発売号)のマフラー特集の動画です。Part1では、FUJITSUBO/STI /HKS/R MAGIC/BARUTA/ZELE/REMUSのサウンドをお届けします。"

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV_ndoTr08E"]XaCAR 86&BRZ Vol.2 マフラー特集Part1 - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: I found out that Fujitsubo made the exhaust for their new WRX STI Nurburgring 24 hour race car (per Fujitsubo 2015 PV on YouTube).

However after searching on Google, throughout the years STI Sport Mufflers were actually made by Sakamoto Industry (it was actually stamped on it along with Subaru logo, same polished finish). Sakamoto is exhaust OEM for Fuji Heavy Industries.

The 2009 WRX STI Nurburgring 24 hour race car also had a Sakamoto exhaust. I'm not sure when Fujitsubo became a sponsor (if this even means anything), the BRZ STI muffler is a 2012 product.

The current BRZ STI Sports Muffler only has a JARI certification number and the muffler model MMAS1 stamped (they are always stamped "MMxxx" even with the old ones). For comparison, I also notice modern Subaru stock brakes are no longer stamped Tokico, but just Subaru.

Confirmed from STI Japan that it's not a Sakamoto.

Last edited by krayzie; 07-05-2016 at 06:27 AM.
chaoskaze (07-03-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 04:20 AM   #2278
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Factory optional sports exhausts and aftermarket exhausts with a JASMA certification now sound almost the same. There is not a lot of differentiation anymore, because noise levels have to be low. If you don't change an exhaust for the sound, why do you change it? For the bigger exhaust tips? If you want power, go for a header. If it is legal in your area ...

Noise levels in Japan for a car made before 2010 had to be under 98-100dB. Noise levels after 2010 have to be less than 82dB and have to meet ECC rules or EU regulations!

Last edited by nikitopo; 07-04-2016 at 04:36 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #2279
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Factory optional sports exhausts and aftermarket exhausts with a JASMA certification now sound almost the same. There is not a lot of differentiation anymore, because noise levels have to be low. If you don't change an exhaust for the sound, why do you change it? For the bigger exhaust tips? If you want power, go for a header. If it is legal in your area ...

Noise levels in Japan for a car made before 2010 had to be under 98-100dB. Noise levels after 2010 have to be less than 82dB and have to meet ECC rules or EU regulations!
I changed it for the 304 stainless steel cuz the stock muffler was rusting out like shit after only 2 months of driving in winter here. The current muffler is spotless just like my old Golf GTI's stock system which was stainless steel.

Always been 96db limit here with the cops if they even enforce it. Never liked the exhaust drowning out the engine anyway so this one is okay.

You are right the current police state really sucks. In the EU if you buy a new Sony Walkman there's even a mandatory non-defeatable volume limiter built in.
nikitopo (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #2280
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
So, I bought the flexible draw stiffeners. Anyone able/willing to help translate or enlighten me on the finer points of the installation? I understand most of what needs to be done and the torque specs are clear, but I want to make sure they are adjusted properly in terms of tension. The pictures help, but still...

Thanks!
Attached Images

kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
SPCorBUST (07-06-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #2281
krayzie
Drive From Home

That last screenshot is key. With the draw stiffeners bolted on, when you adjust the length of the rod by turning it with a wrench, just measure the 3mm distance from that indented marker on the rod as shown. Then check the other measurements also as shown. Both of my rods have the exact same total length upon completing installation (I don't remember what it was, but it was closed to 370mm).
kuczynskika (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #2282
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
That last screenshot is key. With the draw stiffeners bolted on, when you adjust the length of the rod by turning it with a wrench, just measure the 3mm distance from that indented marker on the rod as shown. Then check the other measurements also as shown. Both of my rods have the exact same total length upon completing installation (I don't remember what it was, but it was closed to 370mm).
Thanks! So it seems that as long as long as you maintain the proper rod length on either end everything is fine? Start at 366mm and adjust to 370mm with 3mm and 14mm respectively at either end according to pgs. 5 and 7?
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!