follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #85
import_bible

Drives: Infiniti G35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seriously don't worry about the car now, you will barely have time for it while in school. Cars are one the worst investments you can make. Just focus on what is important now so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor later.
import_bible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #86
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For my four years of school, I drove a semi-beat up 95 Accord. It sucked but I commuted. Now I'm 25, just got my 1st real job this year, and celebrated with my first new car lol. But I wasn't worried about getting a new vehicle back then. Focus on school first. Celebrate later. Hell I hope I still have my FR-S come next year cause I wanna start my Masters. And so the debt wall keeps rising lol -_-
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #87
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
Everyone on here is making a lot of good points to consider.
Come Feb I'll have 18k whether I spend it or not is still up in the air. I'm going to look into possible careers and schools in the meantime. Hopefully I'll figure something out. My friends who graduated-I forgot to mention, can't find jobs for shit. I feel bad, but I know when they do they'll be alright. I won't think about what they have any more-for the most part I got over a lot of those envious feelings. If anything I'll always be jealous of them having a kind father but w.e I'm missing the point.
My point: I feel nervous as shit going into a field where I might not find a job easily. It's hard when nothing interests me (aside from sculpting) maybe I could find a trade school? I dunno, I have Google, I'll figure something out. Thanks again guys! *Internet hugs*
Ultimately it's your decision. But as I've mentioned before, student loan debt is crushing many students, especially those who can't find a job that they want.

There are many alternatives for people after high school, college is only one of them. In the end, it's just another thing you can put on your resume and hope it gets you in the door.

Personally, I've advised my friends and family to try out community college first to see if it's a good fit for them. If you end up changing your mind, at least you won't be in a crap-load of debt.

You could try getting a job with an employer that pays you to go to school. My company reimburses 100% tuition if an employee earns an A or B in college courses.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #88
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You live in NY, right? The Air National Guard in LI has a great student program that pays for 5 years of tuition in any SUNY/CUNY school. The monthly paycheck is around $500. I'm expecting to receive a paycheck of around 6-7K for two months of basic and 4 months of tech school. My plan is to go to stony brook to study mechanical engineering when I come back.
DR1FT (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #89
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
samething formasters, a lot of companies will pay 90-100% for tuition. Mine pays 90%
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #90
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Come Feb I'll have 18k whether I spend it or not is still up in the air. I'm going to look into possible careers and schools in the meantime....
Some tough love from DadHawk. Here's what I have told my 22 year old in basically the same situation.

One thing to remember, unless you have no other debt, you don't really have $18K. Simple math that net worth thing. Add up the value of all your assets, subtract your liabilities. That's how much money you really have. If you think otherwise, you are just fooling yourself.

Same thing if you spend this money now, and then take out a student loan to cover next semester. You really didn't have the money to spend.

Vehicles are depreciating assets. Rule of thumb with vehicles is their net worth should not add up to more than half your annual income. In your case that comes up to about $7K. For that price you can get a perfectly serviceable used car if you shop carefully.

Anything else is financially shortsighted. Its OK to make shortsighted decisions, we all have, but go into it with your eyes open and know what you are doing when you make the decision.

But remember, we're still forum friends no matter what you decide! :happy0180:

Even if you could pay cash, you cannot afford a $30K car, which is what we are really talking about here after you get out the door and pay your first year's insurance etc, etc.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #91
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Some tough love from DadHawk. Here's what I have told my 22 year old in basically the same situation.

One thing to remember, unless you have no other debt, you don't really have $18K. Simple math that net worth thing. Add up the value of all your assets, subtract your liabilities. That's how much money you really have. If you think otherwise, you are just fooling yourself.

Same thing if you spend this money now, and then take out a student loan to cover next semester. You really didn't have the money to spend.

Vehicles are depreciating assets. Rule of thumb with vehicles is their net worth should not add up to more than half your annual income. In your case that comes up to about $7K. For that price you can get a perfectly serviceable used car if you shop carefully.

Anything else is financially shortsighted. Its OK to make shortsighted decisions, we all have, but go into it with your eyes open and know what you are doing when you make the decision.

But remember, we're still forum friends no matter what you decide! :happy0180:

Even if you could pay cash, you cannot afford a $30K car, which is what we are really talking about here after you get out the door and pay your first year's insurance etc, etc.
Is that disposable/net income or gross income?
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #92
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks...the only question is what to go to school for..
My dream college is around 50k a year if I want to dorm, which I do...
Even if I find something cheaper it would be 40k a year at most probably. Seems near impossible to save for-I should pick a different career.
anyway, Thanks for your input guys. It helps and means a lot.

Go in state. The tuition will be cheaper. Trust me .... you do not want the huge student loan debt later. As a previous poster stated .... college is what you make it. You don't need a high priced private college for a good education.

As for the new car. Skip it for now. I'm sure most of us on this forum never had a brand new car our 1st yr in college. Buy a good used car that won't require all the repairs. Get your degree .... then buy a new car.

Just my 0.02
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #93
ScionRacer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma View Post
My two cents... I'd recommend you save the money for college first.

Within my extended family(my dad's brothers and sisters), all of my cousins, even younger ones, had nice cars. I was extremely jealous of what they were driving around while I always had to drive a car w/ no AC. I owned a '87 bmw 325, '92 240sx, and a '95 civic. I had to pay for college myself by taking a few loans out because my parents were barely scratching the bottom of the middle class.

I worked hard, got my bachelors in electrical engineering, and now the only one out of my cousins w/ a stable job. With all that I accomplished, I decided to finally treat myself when I knew I had a stable income.

You should wait. I know you've got a great heart too for thinking of your mom. Your time will come, young Jedi. Life is very tough... Patience is the key.
This is a fine example of discipline and responsibility.kudos bro :happy0180:
ScionRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScionRacer For This Useful Post:
kuma (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #94
Iixii

Drives: NonE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Financial advisers think that 10-15% of your take home income per month may go to your transportation and that includes gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. I totally agree with this and I only spend 8% for mine (I don't have an FR-S or BRZ yet but we have one paid off car, a 08 Prius, and one financed 11 Mazda Cx-9).
So, with only $2k take home pay, your max is $300 for all of these. You gotta enjoy other things too.
I'd say education first and cars later. Imagine what you can have when you have more moolah!
Iixii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #95
FR-Shadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iixii View Post
Financial advisers think that 10-15% of your take home income per month may go to your transportation and that includes gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. I totally agree with this and I only spend 8% for mine (I don't have an FR-S or BRZ yet but we have one paid off car, a 08 Prius, and one financed 11 Mazda Cx-9).
So, with only $2k take home pay, your max is $300 for all of these. You gotta enjoy other things too.
I'd say education first and cars later. Imagine what you can have when you have more moolah!

ok no offense, this is 100% in a joking fashion, but 10-15% for transportion? With gas prices flirting around 4-5$ a gallon based on where you are it looks like you can just buy a bunch of gas, no insurance and no car lol.
FR-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #96
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
Is that disposable/net income or gross income?
I use net pay, some use gross. I always tend to the conservative side with money. I've been broke and I've been comfortable, I know which one I prefer.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #97
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
ok no offense, this is 100% in a joking fashion, but 10-15% for transportion? With gas prices flirting around 4-5$ a gallon based on where you are it looks like you can just buy a bunch of gas, no insurance and no car lol.
Actually, you can afford a car, you just can't afford a car payment.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #98
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I use net pay, some use gross. I always tend to the conservative side with money. I've been broke and I've been comfortable, I know which one I prefer.
I agree. Being broke blows. That's why I don't have mine yet, because I don't want to go back to being broke again.

Work hard now. Play hard later.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-19-2012)