follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #57
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
(This is my first post so please don't rip me a new one, if this was talked about please point me in the right direction)

This is A question for those of you who don't have 27k easily laying around.

My question to you: At any point in time did you feel bad-even guilty about getting this car?

I only ask because I'm 22, work two jobs and been saving for this for a few months now. I make after taxes around 2k a month, I feel like I should be saving this for college or I should get my mom a new car-both of our cars are on their last leg...(err wheel) so to say. Mine breaks down a lot, my friends have wealthy families so they just got done graduating from 4yr college and have nice new cars...and well just for once I wanted to get myself something at this magnitude...but now I'm feeling guilty. Why are they entitled to these kinds of things and I cant?
Would it be the right thing to do to get my mom her car first? Should I feel guilty? I really want this...The first time I saw this car in person my heart stopped and I just knew...
yes walked away from 2 frs's didn't want to mess with my ''slush" fund!
was actually in the dealer's showroom with "cash" in the glove box!.sat there
for awhile and walked on a ''whiteout" (mt) got a call on a black one same equipment coming in,and STILL couldn't pull the trigger,now looking at the brz,and cannot get over the phsycological "hump" of f**king around with the 'slush" fund for my house! soo yes i know exactly how you feel! the problem
of course,is trying to JUSTIFY the purchase in my mind,that's why i am hesitating!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #58
RedRocket

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Be financially secure. You'll regret the purchase if its not the right time.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #59
_F-R-S_
Banned

Drives: 13 whiteout scion frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
this is my 3rd car this year and im 22 also.. fuck debt and the worry just have fun well be dead soon enough
_F-R-S_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #60
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'll put it from my perspective; I'm 20 years old and have always been able to afford, BY MYSELF, what I wish to purchase. I buy and sell goods of all types; I've been an entrepreneur at heart since I was old enough to count and have lived by that ever since. I've held numerous jobs working for "others" and have always been aggravated with the pay within 6 months.

From my perspective, it's always been this; DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. Now granted; you have to be able to afford your happiness. This isn't something that you can just throw yourself into debt for and expect it to work itself out. If you can GUARANTEE yourself that you will strive to succeed in the field you are trying to major in; then so be it. Put yourself through college, have a car payment at the same time. It will teach you to scrutinize your money and allocate it correctly. My insurance every month is almost equal to my car payment solely due to the fact that I'm so young; yet I can afford it, pamper my car with upgrades, and still live quite comfortably. I don't waste money. Cut the excess fat from your budget (eating out, buying the extra "junk" from Wal-Mart that you don't need, etc...) It's all about perseverance. Anyone that tells you otherwise, has failed (or had mommy and daddy pay for everything.) At the end of the day, you're the one who has to make sure you're happy. Do whatever it takes to make that happen.

To summarize; this car is a worthy investment. Drive it, enjoy it, cherish it. At the end of the day, "you've earned it."
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #61
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Everyone on here is making a lot of good points to consider.
Come Feb I'll have 18k whether I spend it or not is still up in the air. I'm going to look into possible careers and schools in the meantime. Hopefully I'll figure something out. My friends who graduated-I forgot to mention, can't find jobs for shit. I feel bad, but I know when they do they'll be alright. I won't think about what they have any more-for the most part I got over a lot of those envious feelings. If anything I'll always be jealous of them having a kind father but w.e I'm missing the point.
My point: I feel nervous as shit going into a field where I might not find a job easily. It's hard when nothing interests me (aside from sculpting) maybe I could find a trade school? I dunno, I have Google, I'll figure something out. Thanks again guys! *Internet hugs*
IntotheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #62
xpicer

Drives: 2013 frs white out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
Everyone on here is making a lot of good points to consider.
Come Feb I'll have 18k whether I spend it or not is still up in the air. I'm going to look into possible careers and schools in the meantime. Hopefully I'll figure something out. My friends who graduated-I forgot to mention, can't find jobs for shit. I feel bad, but I know when they do they'll be alright. I won't think about what they have any more-for the most part I got over a lot of those envious feelings. If anything I'll always be jealous of them having a kind father but w.e I'm missing the point.
My point: I feel nervous as shit going into a field where I might not find a job easily. It's hard when nothing interests me (aside from sculpting) maybe I could find a trade school? I dunno, I have Google, I'll figure something out. Thanks again guys! *Internet hugs*
Good luck w your decision!! and props for thinking about your mom
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #63
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
<father mode>IMHO, the only regrets I've ever had financially have all centered around car purchases. There is NO value in a new car. You can get a USED Hype R, Civic Si, RX-8, Miata, Mustang, etc and have a similar level of performance for a lot less money.

Oh yeah, a used S2000 as well.

NO value in a new car. You do not need to keep up with your wealthier friends. You are your own man now, you need to nut up and start making the big decisions.</father mode>

Scott
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #64
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
I'm gonna sound like an old fart here (im only 32 though), but dont rule out other alternatives to the traditional colleges. Theres aprenticeship programs, 2 year schools, and also the military. you may not end up with your dream job right out of any of these options but at the same time it also possible that you wont get your dream job out of college either. I went to college, did what most 18 year old do in college (party!) lost my focus and then my scholarships and ended up in the Navy at 20.

I spent 10 years in and only got out because of the wonderful world of politics in the military. I was so scared getting out because the economy was shit, jobs were tough to come by, and I wasnt prepared. Luckily the skills i learned translated really well in the tech industries and I got hired on the spot at my first interview to work as a technician for Intel...now i have money for toys like my FR-S!
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #65
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
I'm gonna sound like an old fart here (im only 32 though), but dont rule out other alternatives to the traditional colleges. Theres aprenticeship programs, 2 year schools, and also the military. you may not end up with your dream job right out of any of these options but at the same time it also possible that you wont get your dream job out of college either. I went to college, did what most 18 year old do in college (party!) lost my focus and then my scholarships and ended up in the Navy at 20.

I spent 10 years in and only got out because of the wonderful world of politics in the military. I was so scared getting out because the economy was shit, jobs were tough to come by, and I wasnt prepared. Luckily the skills i learned translated really well in the tech industries and I got hired on the spot at my first interview to work as a technician for Intel...now i have money for toys like my FR-S!
This another option. I ended up going down a very similar path - screwed off in college, flunked out, and then it was time to find a job, which turned out to be an entry-level automation job as a DoD civilian employee. Lucky for me, what had been a fun hobby for me (building and fixing computers) also happened to be a skill people would pay for. It wasn't what I'd gone to college for - I was a Political Science major - but in the end it worked out better. The School of Hard Knocks is a rough place, but you can get a decent education there too.

That said, while college certainly can be overrated, investing in education is generally a good thing.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #66
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
nothing interests me (aside from sculpting)
Aha!

Have you had the artist in residency experience?

Feed your fire; don't allow distractions; take care of yourself!
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #67
WhiteFR-S

Drives: 2013 BRZ MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Amen to an apprenticeship! I went to college and have been stuck behind a desk for 17 years now. its miserable. Wish i would have become an electrician or plumber or something where i actually do real work. this country needs skilled labor.

I wouldn't get the car. Its not an ivestment at all.

I think the 20 something's have this entiltement mentality. Just work for a while before you get it.
WhiteFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFR-S For This Useful Post:
Rayme (10-18-2012), sho220 (10-19-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #68
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but college is going to destroy whatever car you take there. Don't drive a nice car in college... really not worth it. nobody knows how to drive or park, and they'll take out that aggression on your baby

Plus, TBH, I am graduated from college and bringing home a significant amount of money each month, and I am still nervous about that. Definitely don't get and finance a new car with your current income, or you won't be able to leave the job for college. Buy 2 inexpensive used cars (one for you, one for mom) that don't suck, and keep grinding away at it until you hit the finish line.

edit: i agree with what WhiteFR-S said. Apprenticeships and trade schools are awesome and an excellent (and necessary) alternative to college. Not everyone needs to be a desk jockey. Right now I'm transposing data form PDF to Excel so I can sort out some equipment requirements so my boss can make a presentation about it. Trust me, it's THRILLING lol. If you like to work with your hands and you're good at it, there's very good money in skilled labor (mechanic, machinist, electrician, plumber or similar) and honestly it's a more viable route. We have too many people in college right now and the world is starving for well-trained skilled labor.

You will thank yourself for it.
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #69
briang0901

Drives: 2024 MT Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If your worried about paying for college join the military. It may suck to be obligated to a four year enlistment but at the same time its a steady job and you get a 3yr education paid for. Not to mention that on a ship you can take courses for free and you get an additional $4500 a year for more school if you like. The 3yr education(post 9/11 GI Bill) doesn't need to be touched until you decide to get out, all the while if you choose a good job that can be used in the civilian world, then you just gained 4 or more yrs of experience in that field.

Case in point, I'm 24, I own a condo and the FRS with my AA degree coming in December(would've been sooner but I BS'd my first 3 years in).

Good luck in your decision all the same!
briang0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #70
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Technically, I could probably keep my current car (which is paid off and only costs insurance and maintenance) for a few more years, maybe. But, it was acting up and costing me a lot of money to repair it earlier in this year so I decided I wanted a new car. I was looking around and had a few options, some fairly cheap.

To put things in perspective, I am 24, I graduated from college last year and work a decent job, not great, but decent. I owe a ton of money on my college loans, and my parents are nice enough to let me live at home as long as I pay a modest rent. Now, while looking for cars I didn't really set a budget, I really just guessed. I did play with the numbers to be sure, but nothing was really set. If I had set a budget, the FR-S would be at the top, I'm sure. But, I got it anyways.

I can still pay for my loans, still pay my parents, and still have the car. I won't be in as good a position as I would be if I had gotten something cheaper, but I don't mind. Do what makes you happy. I did.