follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
What is this... snow you speak of? I wore a t-shirt today.. #texasproblems
I wore a tee shirt today as well since it reached a balmy -4 (after a week of -25 and a windchill of -40 it was great)
billyk (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #30
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey OP, I also live in MD and just after getting my FRS in November 2014 I investigated getting those Primacy's off the car. My personal decision was to simply move to All Seasons instead of swapping tires twice a year.

Snow tires are the hands-down most effective way to go, if you want to swap tires to accommodate Summer and Winter conditions here in MD. Short of that, All Seasons are the next best alternative. There are plenty of great reviews here on this forum.

I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and, IMO, not only did these tires introduce a much better and safer wet/dry driving experience, they can also handle some snow. Below 40 degrees, the Primacy's get very hard and are downright dangerous. With the PS3's, I have only driven them in a few inches of snow so far and I have to agree with TCoat, the FRS was very capable and predictable.

There were other up-sides to my tire purchase as well. First, my Primacy's sold almost instantly to a really friendly fellow forum member. Secondly, after buying tires for decades at Sears and a local tire company, I found an excellent retailer in Northern MD. They really know tires, they can get you anything fast, and their prices are the best I've found - by a considerable margin. Let me know if you want the recommendation (no affiliation!).

Hope this helps.
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #31
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanpion View Post
All the sounds are from a combination of fuel cutoff and brake application from the TC and DSC.
If it snows and you're running summer tires, I recommend you leave it at home or work.

no, I'm running all seasons but they still suck (but much better that the stock summers)
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix93 View Post
Can you mess your differential and manual transmission up revving excessively on and off of traction control? It would make deep clunking sounds it seem from the differential or transmission. Can anyone give me some input on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should consider changing out the rear differential fluid on your car.

On my old STI, which had a torsen LSD in the rear similar to the Twins, I once got it high-sided on some snow/ice. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to get it un-stuck and eventually triggered a rear differential temperature light to come on. At that point, the manual suggested replacing the rear differential fluid so I did. Apparently the fluid breaks down quickly when the temperature rises above a certain point. No problems after that.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #33
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
BULL!

Hiding behind that couch won't save you
haha
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #34
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix93 View Post
I do indeed have summer tires. And I did indeed fuck up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can we put a sticky on this forum saying "DO NOT RUN SUMMER TIRES DURING THE WINTER IF IT DROPS BELOW FREEZING WHERE YOU LIVE!"

Also: "DON'T BE A MORON AND USE SUMMER TIRES IN THE SNOW!!!"

Lastly: "DON'T POST ABOUT HOW YOU SLID/CRASHED/DAMAGED YOUR CAR WITH SUMMER TIRES IN THE SNOW AND EXPECT ANY SORT OF SYMPATHY. YOU ARE A MORON AND YOU'RE LUCKY YOU DIDN'T KILL SOMEONE."
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote