follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post

11 years of driving and three cars, first two never had some much as a scratch. This will be the third time in five months that my FR-S has been damaged by someone else.

Really starting to think this car is nothing but bad luck, should go get the fuel pump lemon lawed and just part with it and get back into a sedan.
Cars get hit, scratched and just generally beat up. It is just the nature in which they are used.
Ya, it really sucks when your pride and joy is damaged but resorting to the "Lemon Law" because you feel the car is "nothing but bad luck" is abuse of the system. Not to mention that you probably don't have a hope of winning such a claim with a noisy pump that although is mildly annoying is not a defect or issue in any other way.

Over 40 year of driving and 20 cars I have had cars that never got a scratch, but also have suffered damage from hitting debris, flying stones, a crow, several raccoons, door dings, shopping carts, vandals and even a low flying bat (the mammal kind not baseball).
My 2003 Lancer which is now owned by a guy a block away still looks pristine with not a mark on it (quite an achievement after 12 Canadian winters really) but my 2012 had a broken fog light (the aforementioned bat), a huge shopping cart ding and a long scrape on the door from a minivan all before I owned it a week!
In those rare instances that I even bothered to claim insurance it never once impacted my rates. I fairness our rules for claims may be different than yours so I don't know if it will indeed impact your rate.
So... if you think a sedan is going to be immune to damage go for it!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #44
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Cars get hit, scratched and just generally beat up. It is just the nature in which they are used.
Ya, it really sucks when your pride and joy is damaged but resorting to the "Lemon Law" because you feel the car is "nothing but bad luck" is abuse of the system. Not to mention that you probably don't have a hope of winning such a claim with a noisy pump that although is mildly annoying is not a defect or issue in any other way.

Over 40 year of driving and 20 cars I have had cars that never got a scratch, but also have suffered damage from hitting debris, flying stones, a crow, several raccoons, door dings, shopping carts, vandals and even a low flying bat (the mammal kind not baseball).
My 2003 Lancer which is now owned by a guy a block away still looks pristine with not a mark on it (quite an achievement after 12 Canadian winters really) but my 2012 had a broken fog light (the aforementioned bat), a huge shopping cart ding and a long scrape on the door from a minivan all before I owned it a week!
In those rare instances that I even bothered to claim insurance it never once impacted my rates. I fairness our rules for claims may be different than yours so I don't know if it will indeed impact your rate.
So... if you think a sedan is going to be immune to damage go for it!

Hahaha, I don't think it'll be immune. I just won't care as much . I was just venting anyway, I would never part with my FR-S. Just seems this thing is more trouble then it's worth (until I get behind that wheel).
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #45
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Same thing really. (Collision/Comprehensive). My experience is as long as you are not at fault, and you were able to prove that, your rates don't go up. It may vary by carrier though.
The body shop was actually able to wet sand and steel wool out everything. So it didn't cost as much and I'll pay out of pocket so I don't have to worry about it at all. Only took a day and I'll be able to pick the 86 back up in the morning .

Thank god too, this rental 2014 Nissan Altima SUCKS!!!
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-29-2014), Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #46
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
Hahaha, I don't think it'll be immune. I just won't care as much . I was just venting anyway, I would never part with my FR-S. Just seems this thing is more trouble then it's worth (until I get behind that wheel).
Hear ya on that!!!!
Took my first rock hit (dent about the size of a dime) on the front fender few weeks back and was devastated. Since it is on the passenger side I have pretty much forgotten it until I wash!
Keep thinking "I should fix that" but outta sight outta mind.
Frishkorn (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #47
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I've had several collision claims over the years, including with 3 teenage sons, and have never had rates go up because of a collision claim (as opposed to a liability claim, where you are at fault). It usually requires that you file a police report though.
You mean a comprehensive claim. A collision claim is when you hit someone and it's your fault. Comprehensive coverage is very cheap, and there's almost no reason not to have a low deductible for comprehensive. It's collision that's expensive.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #48
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
You mean a comprehensive claim. A collision claim is when you hit someone and it's your fault. Comprehensive coverage is very cheap, and there's almost no reason not to have a low deductible for comprehensive. It's collision that's expensive.
Nope.

Comprehensive insurance helps pay for vehicle repairs necessitated by events other than a collision with another vehicle. For example:

• Falling objects: If you park your car near a construction site and incur vehicle damage from associated debris, insurance would most likely pay for it. Similarly, if you parked under a tree and a limb dented your roof, you could rely on your comprehensive auto insurance coverage.
  • Animals: Comprehensive coverage helps pay for damage caused by striking an animal with your car. Additionally, if a bird flies into your vehicle or an animal causes damage while the car is parked, this coverage may apply.
  • Extreme weather: Hailstorms, high winds and flooding can cause serious damage to your vehicle. The materials and labor required to fix the resulting damage may be covered by comprehensive coverage.
  • Theft, vandalism or riots: Comprehensive auto insurance coverage protects you from damage done by someone else. Whether someone breaks into your vehicle to steal your possessions or the car itself, you’ll be covered. Likewise, if a riot or some sort of group violence damages your car, this insurance can help.

• If your car is damaged in a car accident, comprehensive coverage won’t pay for repairs, regardless of who caused the accident. Liability and collision insurance cover these types of incidents. Liability covers the injury costs and vehicle damages to the other party when you are at-fault in an accident. Collision coverage helps pay for damage to your car if you’re involved in an accident no matter who caused it
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #49
aznatama

Hit and run is comprehensive. Not collision. No way to prove it was a car accident. Even running into an unavoidable tire on the freeway is comprehensive.

If you want to get technical, you'll have to read what each insurer defines "car accident" as. Likely, it involves an incident when both vehicles are occupied and being operated.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
Hit and run is comprehensive. Not collision. No way to prove it was a car accident. Even running into an unavoidable tire on the freeway is comprehensive.

If you want to get technical, you'll have to read what each insurer defines "car accident" as. Likely, it involves an incident when both vehicles are occupied and being operated.
Collision coverage: Coverage that pays for physical damage to your vehicle caused by rolling over or a collision with another vehicle or object, such as a building, fence or telephone pole.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #51
aznatama

That's nice. But the insurance's definition of a collision is you bearing the fault of causing the collision. Not the physics definition. Like I said, depends on your insurance carrier. Not all carriers follow this generic definition. Good job googling though.

If it'll make you happy though... You're right, all my past insurance claim adjusters must not have been able to read, the practicing insurance attornies must have lied to me during class, and I guess all insurance carriers use the same definitions.

Good night.
Tcoat (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #52
Tcoat

Liability covers the injury costs and vehicle damages to the other party when you are at-fault in an accident.
Collision coverage helps pay for damage to your car if you’re involved in an accident no matter who caused it
If sarcasm is the only answer than I give up.
Anybody that needs to know just check with your Insurance Company!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #53
FatFree

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Geico says the hit and run on my car is collision
FatFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FatFree For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-31-2014)