follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #71
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flawedchemical View Post
Yes...I've taken a look. Can't exactly tear mine down right now. The nearest Scion dealer is also about 100 miles away so I'm kinda just dealing right now.
Just FYI, you don't have to tear down to see it. You can see both the metal panel and the body from the trunk if you stick your head in and look above. If you push the metal panel up on certain parts, it would make a nasty metal rubbing noise.

But ya, if your dealer is 100 miles away and this isn't something we can fix on our own, just dealing with it until TSB or something comes out would be a good choice.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #72
flawedchemical

Drives: Silver 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I didn't realize you could see it from the trunk...hmmm...time to fiddle a little!
flawedchemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #73
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Quote:
I didn't realize you could see it from the trunk...hmmm...time to fiddle a little!
I don't know man. I have spent hours in my trunk, and I could not figure it out.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #74
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I spent hours in there too. If anyone figures out a way to even temporarily remove the noise, that person would be my hero. A temporary solution would be good enough until the TSB comes out.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #75
kgc

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
I spent hours in there too. If anyone figures out a way to even temporarily remove the noise, that person would be my hero. A temporary solution would be good enough until the TSB comes out.
Push it up with a tension rod? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=short+tension+rod"]Amazon.com: short tension rod[/ame]
kgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #76
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
got a rattle coming from the passenger side, I think the air bad on the pillar. Seems like its loose or something since when a person puts a hand on it, it stops.
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #77
pdreams

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
Just curious... if anyone out there is experiencing this problem so far with their FR-S.

I'm nearing the 2K mile mark and the interior rattle is starting to become pretty significant. I noticed that it started on the left side and is now spreading to the right side.

Here is an audio recording of the rattle:

http://www.socialedgepartners.com/frsrattle.m4a

Just to be clear - I am definitely not the type that complains about every little detail, but it's a little surreal when your 2003 Camry with 150K miles has less interior rattle than a brand new car with less than 2K miles on it..

I'm a bit disappointed that I'm encountering this problem so far when the car isn't even a month old. Are you guys experiencing the same sorta thing?

edit: just as a sidebar, I totally get that interior rattle is a known problem with a lot of Subarus, but I thought Toyota's quality control dept would ensure that this issue wouldn't get into the FR-S
Hi,

Have you gone any better on the rattle? I have been experiencing rattle myself and this is the exact sound thats coming. My BRZ is a JDM RHD version but the sound that you recorded is also coming from the left side of my car. I am at 5000+ miles.

I can hear it when I put my ear nearer to the centre aircon vents. It is indeed very disappointing and irritating. I had 2 Honda Type Rs, driven and tracked them for 11 years and not a rattle like this.

Brought it back to the local distributor but for some reason the sound can never be replicated fully when I am testing with them. Giving that the technicians are likely paid on a number of cars served basis, I can understand why after going to them twice, the response has been rather lukewarm. Its just not beneficial for themselves to spend time trying to rectify a rattle, even when I say they can have the car for a week.

The sound does seem to come on more frequently when driving in the hot afternoon Sun. Sounds like some kind of "metal leaf ticking" in the centre console. I would think the sound is probably some spot weld that needs to be punched. Without taking off the entire centre console, its hard to hear where its really coming from. All I know is its driving me crazy listening to this rattle now that I have become so sensitive to this rattle.
pdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #78
pdreams

If its worth anything, I am going to attempt to remove the top and bottom instrument panel to see where the rattle is really coming from.

Hope to bring some news once that is done.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #79
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreams View Post
If its worth anything, I am going to attempt to remove the top and bottom instrument panel to see where the rattle is really coming from.

Hope to bring some news once that is done.

Quite a few places

Almost none of the foam is there originally. Just bare metal and plastic.

Quote:
No...we're hearing a vibration right above our heads. I can push up on the headliner and it goes away. The other noise in the rear isn't a vibration, it's a loud pop or creak that sounds like a medal pendulum is swinging around in the trunk and randomly smacking around.
There's a wire that runs up the driver side A pillar and then is stuck to the headliner. It's quite rattle-y as it isn't held in place very well by its plastic clips. While this car has its rattles, its a dream compared to the 08 mazdaspeed 3 I had and the build quality is WAY better. Once you took the interior apart on that car, there was no way to get it back together again without it looking like shit. Not to mention, the entire car sounded like it was falling apart driving on the freeway.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #80
pdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Quite a few places

Almost none of the foam is there originally. Just bare metal and plastic......
Thanks mate, you are an inspiration.

Did you happen to drive around without the instrument panel and actually pin-point the rattle? Or it just got so much that you "foamed" every imagineable metal and plastic contact.

Also, I would assume once dismantled everything fits right back well?

Can't wait for the weekend now to start working on the car. Its incredible how many plastic panels, clips and bare metal there are on this car. And I thought a Honda Type R was raw.

Love the ride but the rattles are really dampening the mood.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #81
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not to be funny, but I had a rattle. Turns out it was my seat belt strap that came un buttoned -_-. Scared the crap out of me lol.
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #82
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreams View Post

Did you happen to drive around without the instrument panel and actually pin-point the rattle? Or it just got so much that you "foamed" every imagineable metal and plastic contact.

Also, I would assume once dismantled everything fits right back well?
Personally, the instrument panel was one of the few things that didn't rattle. My AC controls rattle quite a lot, but it's the unit itself rather than wires behind it. I just took the shotgun approach as I have a ton of acoustical foam and am wrapping everything in foam while my dash it out getting wrapped in Alcantara. Behind the speedo there is just one wire bundle, so I'm not sure what would be rattling for you. It's possible its clanking against the metal / plastic in there.

Everything goes back in place really well as it is predominately held together by screws rather than stupid one use plastic connectors that are part of the piece itself.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #83
SPEEDGOD
I don't lie.

Drives: AE86 Successor
A creak started to appear (after 7000KM, in -15 degree weather) coming from the back trunk like I left the trunk opened while driving. I hear it when I hit a bump or uneven pavement.

Anyone have this issue?
SPEEDGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #84
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
After reading all these posts ... it appears that there are RATTLES everywhere on this car. This is not surprising since the car was designed to be light weight. Everything is light, thin and doesn't lend itself to sound deadening. Except for one or two posts .... I've haven't heard any solutions from the dealerships .... just DYI fixes.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote