follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
raz.sofer

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After a week with a BRZ, a few questions / issues

Hi guys! Last week I bought a used 2015 BRZ Manual and I have noticed some things.
1. The shifter rattles above 4k rpms. I think it's worth mentioning that they have replaced the clutch at the dealership about 7000 kilometers ago.
2. (This started today after pushing the car a bit) When I turn the AC on, I get a weird whistle inside the cabin, and it stops after putting the AC on full blast, and then turning it down, but if I restart the car, it happens again.
3. The car feels bumpy at 75-120kph cruise, every 3-5-7 seconds I get a very small single bump feeling, this happens on all roads so it's (probably, or the roads here are just so bad). There are no weird noises, just this small bump, like going on a road reflector, but a very very small one.
4. I searched a bit and understood that the weird "chirping cricket like" noise in idle is fine, is it really ok or should I get it the the dealer to fix it?
Other than that the car is just awesome. I enjoy it much more than my previous VW cars (more like a bunch of shitboxes and not cars)
Thank you very much!
raz.sofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz.sofer View Post
Hi guys! Last week I bought a used 2015 BRZ Manual and I have noticed some things.
1. The shifter rattles above 4k rpms. I think it's worth mentioning that they have replaced the clutch at the dealership about 7000 kilometers ago.
2. (This started today after pushing the car a bit) When I turn the AC on, I get a weird whistle inside the cabin, and it stops after putting the AC on full blast, and then turning it down, but if I restart the car, it happens again.
3. The car feels bumpy at 75-120kph cruise, every 3-5-7 seconds I get a very small single bump feeling, this happens on all roads so it's (probably, or the roads here are just so bad). There are no weird noises, just this small bump, like going on a road reflector, but a very very small one.
4. I searched a bit and understood that the weird "chirping cricket like" noise in idle is fine, is it really ok or should I get it the the dealer to fix it?
Other than that the car is just awesome. I enjoy it much more than my previous VW cars (more like a bunch of shitboxes and not cars)
Thank you very much!

1. Go back to the dealer and have them fix it or try this fix:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=99
2. I'd check the cabin air filter check for partial blockage and then also check if one of the blend doors is getting jammed or something making a whistle. Or it could be the blower itself maybe a bearing within it is going bad.

3. That's a very specific odd issue, maybe a drivetrain vibration or wheel balancing issue?

4. Doesn't effect anything, you don't trust your own research?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-08-2018), raz.sofer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
raz.sofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
1. Go back to the dealer and have them fix it or try this fix:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=99
2. I'd check the cabin air filter check for partial blockage and then also check if one of the blend doors is getting jammed or something making a whistle. Or it could be the blower itself maybe a bearing within it is going bad.

3. That's a very specific odd issue, maybe a drivetrain vibration or wheel balancing issue?

4. Doesn't effect anything, you don't trust your own research?
Hi! Thank you for the answer!
1. Can I drive it like that for a while? It wouldn't harm anything? (We are on holiday until Wednesday so all the dealers are closed)
2. After the car rested for a night and a half it stopped suddenly but I will check it.
3. I don't think it's a wheel balancing issue. As for the drive train, how do I diagnose it to confirm that it is the problem?
4. Just wanted to be sure
Again thank you very much for your quick and helpful answer!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
Enjoy the new year and the new car. When I was in Israel there were quite a few roads where I was wishing I had my brz.
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jubella2 For This Useful Post:
raz.sofer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi! Thank you for the answer!
1. Can I drive it like that for a while? It wouldn't harm anything? (We are on holiday until Wednesday so all the dealers are closed)
2. After the car rested for a night and a half it stopped suddenly but I will check it.
3. I don't think it's a wheel balancing issue. As for the drive train, how do I diagnose it to confirm that it is the problem?
4. Just wanted to be sure
Again thank you very much for your quick and helpful answer!

Yea you can drive it for awhile doesn't seem to dangerous, would probably be easier to get the dealership to diagnose it
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
raz.sofer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
raz.sofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Yea you can drive it for awhile doesn't seem to dangerous, would probably be easier to get the dealership to diagnose it
Hi again! Thank you for the answer.
The dealer replaced something in the shifter and it went away but I have noticed a different issue. I have the famous/ infamous clicking noise from the rear axle and im pretty sure that this is what causing the vibration.(?) I’m going on vacation today so the car will be sitting but I will fix it as i’m back. Now, the question is if that what can cause the vibration. I have the clicking sound only when using the clutch (press and release) and when leaving the throttle.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
raz.sofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubella2 View Post
Enjoy the new year and the new car. When I was in Israel there were quite a few roads where I was wishing I had my brz.
Thank you very much!
Yea, some of the roads here are amazing, but the actual construction is bad.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Does this “bump” happen on every corner of the car?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
raz.sofer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
raz.sofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Does this “bump” happen on every corner of the car?
No, mainly straight line and 50mph+.
Sometimes happens below it but it is very inconsistent.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,903 Times in 16,460 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi again! Thank you for the answer.
The dealer replaced something in the shifter and it went away but I have noticed a different issue. I have the famous/ infamous clicking noise from the rear axle and im pretty sure that this is what causing the vibration.(?) I’m going on vacation today so the car will be sitting but I will fix it as i’m back. Now, the question is if that what can cause the vibration. I have the clicking sound only when using the clutch (press and release) and when leaving the throttle.
Have a great vacation!

When you return, you may wish to have the rear axles on your car inspected and make sure the rear axle nuts are tight.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
raz.sofer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
raz.sofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Have a great vacation!

When you return, you may wish to have the rear axles on your car inspected and make sure the rear axle nuts are tight.

humfrz
Thank you very much!
I'll make sure.
Is it possible that that is what causing the vibration?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,676 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
See my replies in red below. Hope they help

Quote:

Happens to all (?) of these cars unfortunately. I installed the perrin shifter insert and whiteline transmission bushing and the noise lessened somewhat but it's still there. Apparently it completely goes away if you install the trd/sti short shifter.

Mine did that when I first got the car but it either has gone away since or I'm used to it, because I don't hear it anymore. Nothing malicious

If you had a suspension/tire/wheel problem, you'd get a bump much more often than that at that speed. I'd say it's the roads. This car has a firm suspension. Consider lowering your tire pressures to 33-34 psi. That helped me with ride comfort.

Thank you very much!
Totally okay.
raz.sofer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Did you get a PPI? I'm wondering if the car wasn't in an accident and has some issues. CarFax doesn't tell you much except what was reported, a PPI is cheap money and tells you what's been done to the car and what's wrong with it.

Was this a private sale?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
raz.sofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
See my replies in red below. Hope they help

Totally okay.
Hi! Thank you so much for your help!
About the clicking from the rear axle, do you know anything about it or is it not as popular as I thought?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Did you get a PPI? I'm wondering if the car wasn't in an accident and has some issues. CarFax doesn't tell you much except what was reported, a PPI is cheap money and tells you what's been done to the car and what's wrong with it.

Was this a private sale?
There was a PPI, the car mechanically is almost perfect, but it did have an (very small btw, no frame damage or welding only pdr and repaint) accident on the right driver side, nothing major.
Unfortunately we don't have a service like CarFax in Israel so the only thing you can do is look into the car's history at the dealers + calling the insurance company and ask if the vehicle has any damage that was payed by the insurance (so if someone fixed it themselves you can't know it if it's a good job). The car wasn't driven hard and we only have about 170 BRZ's / 86's in Israel(total cars ever registered, including totaled vehicles.) so everybody kinda knows everybody and my car wasn't abused in the past, didn't track it or drifted it. Was driven hard on a straight highway from time to time but nothing major that would hurt the car. I actually think that the clicking started after I bought it, but I don't know, I didn't hear it when driving the car from the previous owner's home to the PPI, and then from the from the PPI to my house thats for sure.
This is my first RWD car so I used a few friends with STI's & GC8's to help me and nobody saw something too weird for a car with 3 years of driving.
Yea this was a private sale